Team-BHP - Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/91379-rebuild-91-gypsy-into-good-offroader.html)

Hey guys , Its been months i sold my Gypsy king . Sold it because it was very weak in terms performance , mileage , body strength , reliability etc etc etc .
Just lost interest in the king i had .

So been looking for a gypsy from quite sometime , saw many , either price high or bad condition :Frustrati

Came accross this 88 gypsy in Chennai which has a very good bodyline ( was very strong compared to other gypsys i saw even though this is older, believe it)

Some people might ask why i bought a narrow track so for that contacted few experts like Khan sir , Dwarak sir & Mexxxentric whether a narrow track is as good as a wide track for OTRs , all 3 wonderful people told there is no visual difference in both while offroading and gave me green signal to go ahead .

Got this 88 gypsy at a good price for 65k clap:. Now for some pics
Please feel free to comment . Bad or good everything will help me .

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p291010_16.1801.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p291010_16.1802-1.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p291010_16.29.jpg

One more 1.6 in the making :). Body is looking good man plus you also got the hubs with this old model. and the price also seems justified.

All the best for your conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 2124075)
One more 1.6 in the making :). Body is looking good man plus you also got the hubs with this old model. and the price also seems justified.

All the best for your conversion.

Thanks Desmo . Will Upload WIP pics from time to time. How did you guess that im doing 1.6 conversion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karizma9292 (Post 2124084)
Thanks Desmo . Will Upload WIP pics from time to time. How did you guess that im doing 1.6 conversion?

Congrats on your buy. Is this gypsy in running condition?

I think Desmo saw your post on my thread mentioning about the 1.6 conversion. Only he can confirm that though.

65k is a bloody good price for this.

congratulations.

Quote:

How did you guess that im doing 1.6 conversion?

I guess you're not being happy with the performance of a 1.3L king, then buying an even less powered 1.0 Gypsy, is ample indication that you're looking for a 1.6L conversion :D.

Best of luck with the build, will be a thread to look forward to.

congrats for the buy!!

BTW what do you think about 140 hp diesel with 4x4 GB?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-steroids.html
or do you want only petrol?

any way best of luck for the project.:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsy4x4 (Post 2124415)
Congrats on your buy. Is this gypsy in running condition?

I think Desmo saw your post on my thread mentioning about the 1.6 conversion. Only he can confirm that though.

Thanks , nope its not in running condition . Oh ya maybe you are right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 2124521)
65k is a bloody good price for this.

congratulations.

Thank you SirAlec :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 2124588)
I guess you're not being happy with the performance of a 1.3L king, then buying an even less powered 1.0 Gypsy, is ample indication that you're looking for a 1.6L conversion :D.

Best of luck with the build, will be a thread to look forward to.

Buddy you are very smart . Have made list of mods , will tel everyone soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster (Post 2124814)
congrats for the buy!!

BTW what do you think about 140 hp diesel with 4x4 GB?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-steroids.html
or do you want only petrol?

any way best of luck for the project.:thumbs up

I have seen your jeep's video and very much impressed with it . Damn your jeep just slides over that rough terrain which only few jeeps are capable of

Im little inclined towards petrol Sir , already bought a G15A engine and King GB . I have Jonga too which is also petrol .

Quote:

Since we have a few good successfull examples of a 1.6 conversion on TBHP, Allan and Sreejith have done it and you going for an older version is an indication on its own. :)

Me too thinking on the same lines as i need a little more top speed on highways. The MPFI king tops out at 120 and i need more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmosedici (Post 2125235)
Since we have a few good successfull examples of a 1.6 conversion on TBHP, Allan and Sreejith have done it and you going for an older version is an indication on its own. :)

Me too thinking on the same lines as i need a little more top speed on highways. The MPFI king tops out at 120 and i need more.

You are smart too . Thanks

Dude MPFI gypsy is good actually , but if you are looking for more top speed which don you try an ECM upgrade (race dynamics ) which might work out bit cheaper and easier or 1.6 will be good too .

will be checking the availability of older gypsys and more important the 1.6 engine in a robust condition which in mumbai is very difficult. will see for sometime, if not try a few things on the mpfi and see how much it can be stretched. :)

Finally the work starts today . yuppee:D

W.I.P - 1.0L engine is out of the bay and some images of the G15A engine and King GB

Sorry for the poor quality images , took it using my phone as i forgot to take my camera please:

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p031110_16.51.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p011110_16.42.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p011110_16.4201.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p011110_16.44-1.jpg

Rebuild of a '91 Gypsy into a good offroader-p011110_16.43.jpg

Iirc, the indian baleno came with the
G16 and the g15 was not offered locally. Is this an imported engine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 2129100)
Iirc, the indian baleno came with the
G16 and the g15 was not offered locally. Is this an imported engine?

First even i was confused about the same , i guess its imported.

Please can anybody get the wiring diagram of a G15A engineplease:

Quote:

Originally Posted by karizma9292 (Post 2129229)
First even i was confused about the same , i guess its imported.

Please can anybody get the wiring diagram of a G15A engineplease:

lol: If your wiring bunch is not cut it won't be that difficult. no need to worry over drawings

the engine looks pretty similar to G16B.
Try to retain OE position of GB mount & adjust the engine mounts to save propeller shafts from modification.