Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 14:56   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Jaggu, all those sensors are made in Germany parts and not Made in China / Taiwan. So nothing to worry about. The sensors did not misbehave.

Spike
Old 24th December 2010, 15:07   #287
Senior - BHPian

Spike, a Q for you. Have you ever had a Thar prototype with ABS(+EBD)? Answer can be via PM if you like
Old 24th December 2010, 16:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Spike, a Q for you. Have you ever had a Thar prototype with ABS(+EBD)? Answer can be via PM if you like
i have not understood why people are asking for ABS, EBD, Airbags, traction control, vehicle stability control, cruise control etc on the THAR? could some one enlighten me, please!

its not an SUV for record, its a 4x4 offroad vehicle!! (people who are looking for an alternative to thar can buy a RIO)

people are already crying out loud for being too expensive!
Old 24th December 2010, 16:08   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, all those sensors are made in Germany parts and not Made in China / Taiwan. So nothing to worry about. The sensors did not misbehave.

Spike
Sounds reassuring! and hopefully the connectors for the sensors also keep the water at bay, atleast to an extent?
Old 24th December 2010, 16:09   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i have not understood why people are asking for ABS, EBD, Airbags, traction control, vehicle stability control, cruise control etc on the THAR? could some one enlighten me, please!
Why not? I personally don't care about these features, but can't people ask? If i have a switchable ABS with EBD, i'd be the happiest person. A vehicle touted to do speeds of 140+ kmph on road will definitely need these.

OT: And in my classic i really craved for cruise control. Imagine doing 100 odd kms on the expressway at 70km/h. Boring!

And Parm:
SUV: Sports Utility Vehicle.
4x4: Is a sport.

A suitably modified SUV can be used offroad and technically the Thar is an SUV.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:07   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why not? I personally don't care about these features, but can't people ask? If i have a switchable ABS with EBD, i'd be the happiest person. A vehicle touted to do speeds of 140+ kmph on road will definitely need these.

OT: And in my classic i really craved for cruise control. Imagine doing 100 odd kms on the expressway at 70km/h. Boring!

And Parm:
SUV: Sports Utility Vehicle.
4x4: Is a sport.

A suitably modified SUV can be used offroad and technically the Thar is an SUV.
im still to come across a vehicle which has 'SUV' badge on it, but i have seen many vehicles with '4WD' or 4x4 written on them!

i thought SUV means Seriously Unaffordable Vehicle!

6x6: a vehicle?
8x8: a vehicle?

or are they sports, same as 4x4 sport?

Last edited by Parm : 24th December 2010 at 17:10.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:20   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im still to come across a vehicle which has 'SUV' badge on it, but i have seen many vehicles with '4WD' or 4x4 written on them!

i thought SUV means Seriously Unaffordable Vehicle!

6x6: a vehicle?
8x8: a vehicle?

or are they sports, same as 4x4 sport?
Dear Mr. Parminder Singh Mangat,

I'm yet to come across any car with a sedan badge. But they are still called sedans. Get the point?

Now either you are purposefully behaving ignorant and or you are, but your posts are consistently bordering on spam with no added value. You started off hating the Thar then loving it. Then say it's the best SUV, then says it's not an SUV. If you think the Thar is not an SUV then please enlighten us mere mortals to what category does it belong to?
Old 24th December 2010, 19:07   #293
BHPian

Quote:

Will you pay Rs 10lakh for Thar, had it got ABS, EBD, Rain sensing wipers, Cruise Control and GPS? And if you do, will you use these features while offroading in mud and sand?
Whatever you may be thinking an SUV is, TharCrdi will never suit that frame. It is honest an offroading vehicle with good cruising ability which will be a capable tool in the hands of an enthusiast and a lifestyle vehicle in the hands of people who can afford more than one car.
Old 24th December 2010, 19:11   #294
BHPian

Quote:

I'm yet to come across any car with a sedan badge. But they are still called sedans. Get the point?

Now either you are purposefully behaving ignorant and or you are, but your posts are consistently bordering on spam with no added value. You started off hating the Thar then loving it. Then say it's the best SUV, then says it's not an SUV. If you think the Thar is not an SUV then please enlighten us mere mortals to what category does it belong to?
hahaha way to go Dr.
Old 24th December 2010, 19:27   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

A historic launch indeed, in the Indian automotive market- targeted solely at enthusiasts. Great job, Mahindra. I'd book a white Thar right away if I were in the market !
Old 24th December 2010, 20:14   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
We are seriously contemplating it...and yes it is from the Rubicon. My mistake. We are working on the mold design and should have something by end of the year. Need exact dimensions though so if I have no choice will have to go to the dealership today with a measuring tape and notebook.

We have spoken to an IIT professor and he says it is very doable - only thing is the interior finish will not be the same as the pics as only one side (the outside) of the part touches the mold for a clean smooth finish. We will have to look at options of foam or felt padding for the inside so it will look like a regular car roof. Suggestions welcome.

Manas
Yes !Manas kudos to act at the very begining, for the hard top thing,i was thinking how i could contribute, we have the facilities for large vaccum forming ,can use ABS for proto,graduate to polycarbonate for the toughness(Cost!!!)later, we have dealt with camlocks for integration of panels ,Presto!!, we also have CNC turett punching and 7 axis bending all AMADA Japan machines, tell me how we can help, ofcourse i am buying the THAR CRDe. what programme you intend using,solidage/Pro E inform.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:50   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Will you pay Rs 10lakh for Thar, had it got ABS, EBD, Rain sensing wipers, Cruise Control and GPS?
I actually just might. Really don't care about rain sensing wipers but if given, i'd take them. Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
if you do, will you use these features while offroading in mud and sand?
Please carefully read my post. Especially the part that i have now underlined, and is in italic and bold!

Quote:
^ The key word is switchable. On / Off

Quote:
honest offroading vehicle with good cruising ability
This is an oxymoron. Very difficult to achieve a super offroader with good cruisability at a decent price. Thar comes close.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:56   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i hated the thar which was on display in delhi autoshow, i spoke to BD sir from dubai and after speaking to him, i learnt about the real Thar was totally different from Thar Adventure which was displayed in the autoexpo. that was my turn around.

i always refer to Thar as a 4x4/4WD offroad vehicle, because thats what its meant to be in its true form.

SUV is term coined by the yanks and it just stuck on. otherwise vehicles belonging to this offroad catagory are called 4WD or 4x4.

i thought Sedans were Saloons! hmmm that what yanks call them!

sir, lets enjoy the wonderful creation called Thar and its threads and not take on eachother.
Old 24th December 2010, 22:04   #299
Senior - BHPian

I would like to hear from B.D. or another insider on what they think the long term ownership maintenance issues are with the Thar especially in regard to the IFS front end. What is likely to need attention, inspection etc.?
Old 24th December 2010, 22:15   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sounds reassuring! and hopefully the connectors for the sensors also keep the water at bay, atleast to an extent?
I can assure you for that do not worry. ECM is water resistant till 3 meters.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed