Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 19:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD

Good to see your update for so long! Ross is the original equipment and if it is working fine, just get it serviced and have the same thing. XLO steering is as good as power steering (I have XLO on mine - Thanks to the Great UBS sir for making this possible as my ROSS was playing all over the place.)

If the ROSS is unserviceable then it makes sense to go for the XLO.

This is only my opinion. Jeep gurus are the better ones to advise on this.
Old 15th February 2011, 20:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
This is only my opinion. Jeep gurus are the better ones to advise on this.
Thanks Shub for your inputs. But, after encouraging in the first stage, it seems the gurus have lost interest in my Jeep and hence no reply to my earlier queries below. But guys, I need your help very much in these and though the queries might seem trivial, for me these are in the realms of rocket science. So keep guiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Also pls take a look at my pics. The front prop shaft is missing along with the 4x4 gear levers. Can you pls inform whether it can be made 4x4 ready with just by having the prop shaft and the gear levers. As per my mech, the MM540 front shaft is a direct fit and these are the only things that are required right now to become 4x4 ready. Is it correct?

Attachment 476471

Attachment 476473
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hello sir,

Any updates on your restoration? (with pics please)
Old 8th April 2011, 21:48   #49
BHPian

Updates of the work done

Hi All,

After seeing regular updates about Shub and Jaggu's CJ3Bs, I also thought of sneaking in with some updates about my Jeep. Have slowly, quietly been trying to restore it to its original form. But, sadly I don't have a great mech at my disposal, so progress is very very slow. With my limited "knowledge", I have been trying to do it up with attention to detail as much as I can. Ofcourse, have been talking to respected UBS and got much more understanding of small, practical things that I otherwise would not have known. I now realise that 30 mins on phone with him gives you much more practical insight and understanding than hours and hours of research in the net or discussions with self styled expert mechs/ parts dealers ever gives.

Now for some updates on the works done:

1) Engine/GB/Trans: At this moment instead of complete overhauling, only the basic maintenance works like changing the piston rings and complete servicing has been done. GB shafts, flywheel bushing and other such small items have been changed. Surprisingly, the large pinions and other such major parts are in quite good condition considering the vehicles age. Either the vehicle has been used sparingly or someone had overhauled these in its previous life.
2) Clutch have been overhauled.
3) Brakes have been serviced completely with new linings, hoses, wheel cylinders etc. Master cylinder has been serviced.
4) Front axles, prop shaft etc have been fitted to make it 4x4 ready.

Apart from the above, all oils have been changed.

Overall, have started the engine and its starting quite easily. But, will know about issues only when it'll be taken on road which is still some time away as the body work is still going on.

Following are some of the random pics that I have taken of the restoration:

After the first coat of paint in decades probably.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-05042011290.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-05042011291.jpg

Trying to get a light sand coloured shade in non glossy finish.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-05042011293.jpg

After searching heaven and earth, finally managed to lay my hands on the horn button and the foot dimmer switch in original packaging. Cost me Rs 50 and Rs 65 respectively. Real cheap I suppose.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-08042011296.jpg

Also, found the original wiring set in the original pack. Was apprehensive about wires having become hard but, these are in good condition and got them real cheap at Rs 500.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-08042011297.jpg
Old 8th April 2011, 23:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updates of the work done

Quote:
Hi All,

Ofcourse, have been talking to respected UBS and got much more understanding of small, practical things that I otherwise would not have known. I now realise that 30 mins on phone with him gives you much more practical insight and understanding than hours and hours of research in the net or discussions with self styled expert mechs/ parts dealers ever gives.
This is so much true - With likes of UBS sir and others life is much more comfortable!

Quote:
After searching heaven and earth, finally managed to lay my hands on the horn button and the foot dimmer switch in original packaging. Cost me Rs 50 and Rs 65 respectively. Real cheap I suppose.
Attachment 528676
Thats a good catch. But I am not sure if the 1966 CJ3B came with a horn button with "Mahindra" badged on it. Again - Experts can comment better.
Old 8th April 2011, 23:46   #51
BHPian

Re: Updates of the work done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
But I am not sure if the 1966 CJ3B came with a horn button with "Mahindra" badged on it.
No, I also don't think the horn button originally came badged as Mahindra. May be it came as "Jeep". But, structurally its a direct fit to the 3 spoke steering wheel. So, will put up with that.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:38   #52
BHPian

Hi friends,

After hibernating for sometime, I am back here to update about the progress made to get the Jeep into almost final shape. Well, I could not devote much time to make the restoration thread as detailed as most others here are, but suffice it to say that it has been a great experience. And thankfully, despite my apprehensions the final outcome is great in terms of the vehicle mechanicals. Got the vehicle home after almost six months of work and it is working fine. Following are some of the observations and experiences till now.

1) It starts with half a crank (with the new 80 Amps battery) and settles into a nice idle.
2) Clutch is a bit hard to my liking. I remember, Jaggu mentioning somewhere that the CJ3B clutch felt almost as soft as the Swifts. But mine is not so. (Though it's okay, I'm only comparing with a Swift)The clutch is completely overhauled with new pressure plate, fingers etc. As per the mech after some usage it'll be slightly softer. Any inputs to improve the "feel"? The gear shift is extremely smooth though.
3) Brake is okay and working well. Though I have not tried any panic braking moves yet.
4) Till now, I have not faced the dreaded CJ3B overheating problem. And so have not installed any EFP or fuel return line etc.
5) The new rotor in the distributor conked off on the first day itself stalling the vehicle in the middle of a bridge. The replacement is working fine now.
6) The horn button, which was graciously sent by Fazal Ji all the way from Hyd, could not be fitted into the centre of the steering wheel as someone earlier had chipped off the groove that hold it in place. So, till I get a new steering wheel, am using the horn the good old way of shorting the naked wire to bare metal as in many trucks and buses.

So, all in all, the experience has been pretty good and limited hiccups. And do hope that it stays that way. TBHP and its members have been a great help to me keeping in mind that I knew very little mechanically about Jeeps. And restoration threads by members like Jaggu, V-16, Harjeev and Shubz had been regular reference points to me. Fazal Ali Adil has also been a great help in providing inputs and most graciously taking trouble himself in sending some small but vital items. And ofcourse, UBS was always there to provide his wealth of knowledge without ever batting an eyelid despite my many calls. So, a large part of credit goes to all of them in making the Jeep as it is now and I can't thank these people enough.

So enough for one update, following are one or two pics. Hope people like them.

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-12062011316.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-12062011317.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-12062011319.jpg
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 21:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hope people like them.
Like !!! We love it . Quite a long time since you had updated. BTW is this the final color, and what would be the soft top color you'd be using?

Wanderer -The jeep has come out pretty neat, post some interior shots also.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

After hibernating for sometime, I am back here to update about the progress made to get the Jeep into almost final shape.
So enough for one update, following are one or two pics. Hope people like them.
Awesome outcome wanderer4x4, your patience paid off. a well restored CJ3B can easily serve you for 10-12 years (considering the cost of petrol you would tend to run your vehicle very less ) without any major problem.
you mentioned somewhere in your thread that you somehow got original wiring loom of CJ3B, can you please check with shop whether they have another original wiring loom. i need the one for my WILLYS.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 16th June 2011, 14:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Under the front right mudguard/fender I see a bolt sticking out in reverse. Keep the head outside and reverse it, so that while offroading it wont damage the tyre under articulation.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Good stuff! Can you also post pics of the dashboard / engine bay from different sides?

And the wiring loom - Can you please ask if they got two?
Old 17th June 2011, 22:12   #57
BHPian

Thanks friends for your comments.

@ Twinn - This is the final colour, the fist pic of the lot is nearer to the actual colour in the pics. For soft top, wanted to have some colour like Shubz has. But, could not find that colour in the synthetic nylon material so have settled for black.

@ svsantosh - That is not a bolt, its actually bit of flexible wire being used to hold the wiring inside the engine bay.

@ Shubhendra and Shubz - He has wiring looms not two but many. But has kept them in a jumbled maze in two dusty gunny bags. I also realised to my consternation later that my supposedly original CJ3B wiring is a mix n match of various wiring looms like CJ3B, FC van, 650, 540 etc. So, the elctrician had to ultimately custom make almost half of the wiring from new wires. So it was not too useful.
Old 17th June 2011, 23:00   #58
BHPian

Offroading on petrol engine would really an expensive affair,the way fuel prices have shot up in recent time. Just my thoughts

Andy
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:34   #59
BHPian

Very Nice jeep, Lot of work gone in to it.

I would never off road with such a beauty
allana13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 17:36   #60
BHPian

Wow man Wanderer4X4, Congrats!
Can you pls post the cost breakdown on body, engine etc work?
Also, are you planning to add some more accessories like A/C?

Most Viewed