Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 12:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Offroading with Thar DI: The Sensible Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
On another post it seems the track in villages is small so thats why the rational to use the 51" track.
Hi Danny,

Have you noticed, that the Body in an MM540 is wider that the Track Width, what will happen in "those narrow village tracks"

Regards,

Arka
Old 26th January 2011, 14:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi Vinod,

Arka is blessed- what about the rest of us .

Now, please do something about the quality of :

1. Switchgear.
2. Brakes - Servo and progressive pedal feel.
3. Steering Offset from drivers seat. I HATE IT- feel like a share auto driver!
4. Long Gear lever throw and clutch pedal effort like a bus!
5. The vehicle should feel light and nimble not heavy like a ton of bricks when one turns or brakes above 80-100 kph.
6. Have decent offroad worthy design built in - [flat underbody with silencer and all routing packaged in between the ladder frame!
7. Have a metal pipe instead of 8 or 6mm plastic/rubber hose running under body for brakes and the hydraulics!!

Please take a look at better designs and learn from them please.

My money is on THAR MDI iff I get ALL the above and factory fitted HT and AC - well climate controlled

Time to call the THAR a CAR!!..eh

Cheers
Hey teamiee:-)
May be you are looking for a Scorpio mechanicals (which THAR CRDe has)with scorpio interiors at the current THAR MDI prices. May be we must aim to improve in that front

But can you show a diesel 4x4 option with all the features you mentioned at 5 lakh on road price either India or abroad?

Good things and special requirement come at a price.

Thanks for calling THAR a car- you have just acknowledged its refinement
Old 26th January 2011, 16:16   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
But can you show a diesel 4x4 option with all the features you mentioned at 5 lakh on road price either India or abroad?

Vinod: Am I the manufacturer or you? You know I can/will do it if pushed. But can you sell 10K vehicles a month for me? And I dont think I'm asking too much too..

Cheers
Old 26th January 2011, 19:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be you are looking for a Scorpio mechanicals (which THAR CRDe has)with scorpio interiors at the current THAR MDI prices. May be we must aim to improve in that front

Good things and special requirement come at a price.

Thanks for calling THAR a car- you have just acknowledged its refinement
Quote:
Vinod: Am I the manufacturer or you? You know I can/will do it if pushed. But can you sell 10K vehicles a month for me? And I dont think I'm asking too much too..

Cheers
You guys remind me of Tom and Jerry

@Headers: Dude you expectations are increasing by the day man...looks like whenever you have any free time you end up putting up a post with one additional feature!!!

@Vinod: Bhai, leave everything, can we expect lil things like the steering offset and rust treatment atleast in the nearest future? I am sitting with the cheque in my hand, you know I aint here to waste my time!!!
Old 27th January 2011, 01:18   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You guys remind me of Tom and Jerry

@Headers: Dude you expectations are increasing by the day man...looks like whenever you have any free time you end up putting up a post with one additional feature!!!

@Vinod: Bhai, leave everything, can we expect lil things like the steering offset and rust treatment atleast in the nearest future? I am sitting with the cheque in my hand, you know I aint here to waste my time!!!
Why is there such a big hoohah about the steering offset?? Have your driven a Murcielago?? Even there the steering is offset. But you dont see people crying about that na!!

BTW, I know the above as I have been in the drivers seat of one..
Old 27th January 2011, 06:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Why is there such a big hoohah about the steering offset?? Have your driven a Murcielago?? Even there the steering is offset. But you dont see people crying about that na!!

The subject is whether one wants to pay and sit like a share auto driver or not - I prefer not too, PERIOD.

IMO Steering offset is BAD DESIGN.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2011, 09:04   #97
BANNED

Quote:
The subject is whether one wants to pay and sit like a share auto driver or not - I prefer not too, PERIOD.
I respect your feelings/sentiments . But its not a deal breaker .

I had driven the CRDe on & off road ,I didn't even noticed it . Why ? because every vehicle is different & requires/demands a different reply/performance by the driver, so may be I adjusted myself a little & I got it right for me .

The amby has such steering ,but I have seen some very distinguished people drive it .

After driving Jeep for 11 years I felt the Landy steering odd ,but later it proved to be a more friendly one then the Jeep .( though an old battered vehicle ) & now I feel the landy very comfortable than the Jeep ,on & off road ( though over sized )

About our favourite Jeep , Its used mostly ( 95 % ,out side govt ) as the Taxi , So do we also look like / be , taxi/share fare drivers ? NO

Quote:
Not necessarily , but there is no other option .What we can do is mod it afterwards & suit it to our own style .

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2011, 09:07   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
What we can do is mod it afterwards & suit it to our own style
Please can you elaborate how?
Old 27th January 2011, 09:41   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Please can you elaborate how?
Mount the steering wheel with pipe ( upper assy ) on the firewall/bulkhead ( the metal wall that divides engine bay & passenger compartment )to whatever position you want & connect it to the steering GB via a universal joint ( + a slide joint if you want) .

Will this work for 'this' vehicle? ( expect expert comments ) its a vague idea though ,needs to be assessed thoroughly for reliability before applying .

Sudarshan

Ideas will be charged 2 paisas a post
Old 27th January 2011, 10:13   #100
BHPian

Hmm... the discussion seems to be going round-n-round in circles. Let me add another circle

By now it is obvious that Mahindra didn't do any real "engineering" to launch the THAR-DI. They simply put together available pieces from their parts bin and pushed out the DI, and even there they seemed to have picked the parts with the lowest cost. People claim it is engineered to a cost - to me it seems more like engineered to a target profit margin.

Expectations were high and people are disappointed.

Can Mahindra give what the crowd wants at the price they want? Looking at Xylo, IMO it is very much possible. The Thar-DI seems quite overpriced when compared with XYLO or any 5-6 lakh car in the market today. A XYLO D2 costs about 7 lakh on-road with almost all creature comforts. A Thar-DI 4x2 costs about 5.2 lakh on-road with a lesser engine and not even the basic creature comforts.

And when you consider that XYLO is a brand new car with new dies and all, while the Thar is a clone of the MM540 and is using decades old equipment that must have been depreciated several times over by now, the pricing disparity becomes even more stark.

Whatever, I think (& hope & pray) that Thar will face some real challenge soon from Maruti (Jimny) and Tata (Jeep??) and others. Maybe then the pricing will become more realistic, or the fit-finish & features will evolve to match the price.

I will wait for that day.

Cheers
Teja

Last edited by H3LIOS : 27th January 2011 at 10:16.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:24   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Mount the steering wheel with pipe ( upper assy ) on the firewall/bulkhead ( the metal wall that divides engine bay & passenger compartment )to whatever position you want & connect it to the steering GB via a universal joint ( + a slide joint if you want) .

Will this work for 'this' vehicle? ( expect expert comments ) its a vague idea though ,needs to be assessed thoroughly for reliability before applying .

Sudarshan

Ideas will be charged 2 paisas a post
Damn! It sounds so simple na? Wonder why MM didn't do it then?

I will give you a rupee. Keep the balance for future questions.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:49   #102

Quote:

Then please dont. But let me just say this, The bolero, which is India's largest selling SUV/MUV, also has a similar design. I dont see people grumbling there.

the fact of the matter my friend, is that we all know who was and who want going to buy the car in the first place. No prizes for guessing where certain "distinguished and senior members" fit.

Quote:
Damn! It sounds so simple na? Wonder why MM didn't do it then?

Hehehe!! Come on now Teja!! Im sure there are "mayapuri ways" to do things right!!
Old 27th January 2011, 10:57   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Damn! It sounds so simple na?
Not actually , proper design & selection of material, having proper quality ( from other vehicles including ) is the difficult thing , If you look at it at a reliability /longevity angle.

Quote:
There are discounts also for friends & regular customers

But its rather easier to modify (adjust) yourself for driving ( till it really becomes a pain in neck/tooth ) then doing things like this .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 27th January 2011 at 10:58.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:02   #104
BANNED

A point on the offset steering. I have been driving a Bolero for 7 years, I don't have any issues till date.
Old 27th January 2011, 16:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
51inch track isnt a deal breaker for many real customers who are willing to put their money on table rather than just writing their wish list. Even i do consider 57/53 an upgrade.... But definitely not a deal breaker!

Enough has been discussed on this topic, I rest my case here
Hey Vinod, I did not say that 51" is the deal breaker for Samurai and many... I was referring to AC / HT.

Also 51" is not a deal breaker, as I said in another post using a good set of spacers or even better Alloys with good offset would do the trick for many.

57/53 is a Very very nice to have. Thats all!

Quote:
3. Steering Offset from drivers seat. I HATE IT- feel like a share auto driver!
6. Have decent offroad worthy design built in - [flat underbody with silencer and all routing packaged in between the ladder frame!

My money is on THAR MDI iff I get ALL the above and factory fitted HT and AC - well climate controlled
Vikram, I just pictured you driving a Share Auto ~ sorry it was really funny

From what I saw I agree - both the Silencer / Cat con or whatever and the Oil Sump looks ready to get wacked on a rocky OTR.

AC that too Climate Control? Saar then lesser mortals like me cannot afford it ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post

Cyrus, I dont think it is necessary to get so emotional in your responses and rubbish other posts on either the Thar MDi or CRDe. If there is an issue being called an issue - let MM work on it. Isn't buyer feedback important for product development?

If the Murjilago steering is offset then I call that bad design
I cannot spell it cause - yes I have not driven it. I am truly happy and envious of those who have - including you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A point on the offset steering. I have been driving a Bolero for 7 years, I don't have any issues till date.
Also Cyrus, I agree with SF on this point and inspite of what I said above - I personally dont care about the offset. Again this is my opinion. If others have issues with this... MM better add this to their development list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks