Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 10:25   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

This is not to do with fixing the puncture but for quick refilling of tubes in case of a puncture these CO2 cartridges are great. In most triathlons I’ve seen athletes carry a couple of these to ensure they don’t waste time refilling air at least in the event of a puncture.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-459c7b54fcc74e1fa092a01d3f8bf6ae.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2021 at 19:28. Reason: Image orientation corrected
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:07   #32
BHPian

Anyone here riding tubeless tires on their road bikes? Any feedback, suggestions or tips for wannabe tubeless rider?

regards,
narayanang76
Old 28th September 2021, 12:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally my Continental Gator Hardshell (700X23c) arrived from Probikekit (UK). Ordered nearly a month ago, after a bit of delay with the package held up at customs, the tires finally reached home. I wish I had options for 25c or 28c but the website didn't have those options.

Hit to the wallet: ~5.1k inr for a pair of tires + 2.7k customs

Tire review: link

For now, these go into storage as my Schwalbe Durano Plus are still doing great. 4+ years and the first puncture happened last week. I infact rode a long ride the previous weekend with a tiny puncture without realizing it. The tire held on to the pressure and only deflated overnight once I parked it at home. That's how good these tires are wrt puncture proof-ness.

Now to see how good the Hardshell stands up to Indian roads eventually.

Edit: Just checked my records, the Duranos are 6 years old (bought them in June'15)! Nice!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th September 2021 at 12:03.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Finally my Continental Gator Hardshell (700X23c) arrived from Probikekit (UK). Ordered nearly a month ago, after a bit of delay with the package held up at customs, the tires finally reached home. I wish I had options for 25c or 28c but the website didn't have those options.
Aaahh finally! Congratulations man.

Why the Gator Hardshells over the nearly as puncture proof Gatorskins that are much lighter and roll much better?

8k is a big hit for sure. Wonder if you could have given a try to the Indian Ralco folding tyres with Aramid bead as an alternative first. They look really good, a first for an Indian tyre manufacturer.

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210908wa0053.jpg

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210908wa0054.jpg

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210926wa0011.jpg

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210926wa0012.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210908wa0051.jpg  

The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread-img20210908wa0052.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th September 2021 at 13:01. Reason: edited pics orientation
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Wonder if you could have given a try to the Indian Ralco folding tyres with Aramid bead as an alternative first. They look really good, a first for an Indian tyre manufacturer.
Thanks Doc for sharing these details. How much a pair of these would cost? My tyres are 3 years and 4 months old. (In the year 2019, my bike had hardly clocked any mileage as I was out of country). They can still go some distance I am contemplating on getting them changed at least by end of this year, hence quite interested in this pair of Ralsons.
Old 28th September 2021, 13:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks Doc for sharing these details. How much a pair of these would cost? My tyres are 3 years and 4 months old. (In the year 2019, then bike had hardly clocked any mileage as I was out of country). They can still go some distance I am contemplating on getting them changed at least by end of this year, hence quite interested in this pair of Ralsons.
There is some guy who is selling them in black apparently. Since these are export only and not for sale in India. Much more expensive than the 650 a tyre for the wire bead version, which is openly available, but no idea how much. Will keep trying to get details.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is some guy who is selling them in black apparently. Since these are export only and not for sale in India. Much more expensive than the 650 a tyre for the wire bead version, which is openly available, but no idea how much. Will keep trying to get details.
Please do share once you have the details. The Contis are for my roadbike (23c). I need to get 28c options (or 25c at most) for my hybrid by end of this year so the Ralco options would help

Quote:
Why the Gator Hardshells over the nearly as puncture proof Gatorskins that are much lighter and roll much better?
Puncture-proofness. The Hardshells are only a few gms heavier while puncture resistance is much higher (+12%) while nearly similar rolling resistance for both. Have tried Gatorskins (on rental bikes) in the past and they are good but not as good as the Schwalbe Marathon (or Durano) options wrt punctures. Read/spoke to owners back then and got similar feedback. I simply loved the headache-free option I have had with the Duranos over the past ~6 years. And I have ridden those over some extremely gravel/trails and whatnot. I still believe I can get a year or more on those with some heavy riding. I hate dealing with punctures while riding and I'm okay with more rolling resistance (/weight) for that peace of mind.

Also the Hardshells were quite VFM for the price (not accounting for the 50% customs) so went ahead. I paid ~$68 for this pair last month so that's better than the prices I see on Ebay, Amazon US or other global websites ($88 - $100 range for a pair). Also in comparison, I paid $62 for the pair of Duranos back in 2015.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th September 2021 at 13:47.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The OEMS on my bike are the Shwalbe Green Compound Road Cruiser k-guard 3 700X32c. These are being retailed at Rs 900/- on Cyclop. Last 3.5 years I had only 2 punctures (touchwood). I am very much satisfied with these tyres. But if the Ralsons are equal in quality (if not better) and cost lesser, then I would definitely like to give them a try.
Old 28th September 2021, 15:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The OEMS on my bike are the Shwalbe Green Compound Road Cruiser k-guard 3 700X32c. These are being retailed at Rs 900/- on Cyclop. Last 3.5 years I had only 2 punctures (touchwood). I am very much satisfied with these tyres. But if the Ralsons are equal in quality (if not better) and cost lesser, then I would definitely like to give them a try.
There is a big difference in 32 and 25c. It will feel like a totally different bike. Sure your rims will take 25c. But 25c (or 23c) is a committed race tyre. There is zero comfort or rough use abuse ability - looking at the kind of riding you like to do (exploring etc.)
Old 28th September 2021, 15:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a big difference in 32 and 25c. It will feel like a totally different bike. Sure your rims will take 25c. But 25c (or 23c) is a committed race tyre. There is zero comfort or rough use abuse ability - looking at the kind of riding you like to do (exploring etc.)
Got your point. But are there 32c options in the Ralsons? What price that would be?
Old 28th September 2021, 15:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The OEMS on my bike are the Shwalbe Green Compound Road Cruiser k-guard 3 700X32c. These are being retailed at Rs 900/- on Cyclop. Last 3.5 years I had only 2 punctures (touchwood).
Are they available now? I doubt they are in stock. Check again - last I checked only a few Maxxis were in stock. The current issue is availability - Conti or Schwalbe or any other decent brand.
Old 28th September 2021, 15:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Are they available now? I doubt they are in stock. Check again - last I checked only a few Maxxis were in stock. The current issue is availability - Conti or Schwalbe or any other decent brand.
You are right Ninja, they are sold out on Cyclop. However my local cycle shop fellow told that he had them available with him, but then he was quoting Rs 1500/- a piece.
Old 28th September 2021, 16:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got your point. But are there 32c options in the Ralsons? What price that would be?
Their "nice" (700c, wire bead or foldable) come is only 23 or 25 sizes. Even I am looking for a good Indian (tough, low cost, available) 28c tyre. 32c (over my current 35c) is barely different to warrant buying a new set. I could go for 25c like Ninja is planning. I've ridden my ACT on 23c's and I totally was flying on them. But I got a number of flats so gave up the idea. Its not just whether a rim can take a thinner tyre, but if a rim and spoke build is strong enough to support the higher pressures that are needed to run those thinner tyres at. Even at 90 psi I was getting tube hole blowouts. Maybe better quality tubes were needed (I was using the old Ralson 23c tubes from the time they only made 75 psi rated 23 and 25c tyres). Or higher pressure rated tyres (like the new Ralsons are).

Last edited by ebonho : 28th September 2021 at 16:24.
Old 11th March 2022, 10:25   #44
BHPian

I have a Hybrid bike and am currently running on Bontrager GR1 Comp, wire bead, 60 tpi, 700x40c tyres.

They are a bit knobby and not so fast on tarmac which incidentally makes up of 80% of my ride. Want to go for 700x35c more road oriented tyres that offer better rolling on tarmac with lesser resistance.

Would appreciate it if you could suggest some possible options
(Also would help on where can I source them ? as most of the online links seem to be out of stock)

That said , what are the possibilities of going in for Tubeless tyres ?
I see that they havent caught on mainstream in the Bicycle world.

My Bike rim is a Bontrager Connection, alloy, double-wall, 32-hole, Schrader valve

Last edited by Fillmore : 11th March 2022 at 10:26.
Old 20th March 2022, 23:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have a Hybrid bike and am currently running on Bontrager GR1 Comp, wire bead, 60 tpi, 700x40c tyres.
Quoting my own thread.
Subsequent to this did some research , and finally ended up picking these MAXXIS OVERDRIVE EXCEL 700C WIRED Tyres.

They were a bit pricy, but am quite pleased with the performance.
Does make the bike go faster than the stock knobby tyres. Also they do seem to give a decent amount of cushioning on rough roads. The ride is much better than what I anticipated.
Currently have the front wheel at 55psi and the rear at 65psi.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks