BHPian

Re: The Bicycle tyres, tubes, air pressure & tyre inflators thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Quoting posts to get attention. Question on tubes.

Does foldable have different tube compared to wire bead? I bought two foldable continental tyres (700x25c). I tried to install them with my old Kenda tubes of same size. The tubes could not be put properly even after multiple tries. Seems the sidewall of conti was smaller compared to previous wired Vittoria / Ralson. At some places, the edge of the tyre kept pressing the tube. I decided to take a chance with inflating, hoping it would auto adjust but ended up with pinch punctures while filling only.

Any suggestions? If I have to get new tubes, do I have ask for foldable tyre specific?

Last edited by shipnil : 10th April 2023 at 14:21.
Old 12th April 2023, 23:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

No. Tubes for wire bead and folding tires are same. Its just that some tires are easier to put on and some are painful. In general I have seen folding tires have been easier to mount but it also depends on the brand, tire-rim combination. Panaracer GK have been exceedingly difficult, whereas WTB Resolute easy peasy. Quite a few factors at play. It must be noted that, new tires are hard to put on but used ones are easier.

For the first time installation, did you try inserting the tube in the tire, inflating it to 5-7psi and then mounting both at the same time? The tube needs to nested in the tire safely so as not to get pinched between rim and tire. Also, if you are using tire levers they may also be causing pinches (happened with me).

I later realized, even the hardest tires can be mounted without tire levers and pinching the tubes. This decade old video explains the technique better than any other I have seen -

amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 13:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
It must be noted that, new tires are hard to put on but used ones are easier.

For the first time installation, did you try inserting the tube in the tire, inflating it to 5-7psi and then mounting both at the same time?
Thanks Amol for the tips. I have the old Kenda tubes as well as a new Btwin tube. After inflating to 5-7 psi, I found the Kenda to have higher circumference than btwin, probably that is why I was unable to fit them properly. Btwin fit better comparatively. Also, I still believe the new Conti's are difficult to mount that the earlier Kenda/Vittoria/Ralson I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I later realized, even the hardest tires can be mounted without tire levers and pinching the tubes.
I followed this but even then I was unable to mount the tyre without the levers. May be it needs strong fingers or the central cavity in my wheel is not deep enough to give any perceptible advantage.
Old 5th December 2023, 11:43   #49

Hi All,
I need some help on buying cycle tires. I have schwin sporterra sport. It is a 10 year old cycle. I am looking to replace the tires. The tire size is 700x38c. I enquired with a few shops in Bangalore and am confused with the info and prices that i got:
a. Got a quote of approximately Rs3400 for Kenda tires from CycleWorld Koramangala and RR Cycles Madiwala
b. Kenda tires are listed for Rs 1850 on bumsonthesaddle website
c. Procycle, Domlur does not have tires in this size

1. Is there any reason for the big difference in price of Kenda?
2. Any recommendations of other brands

Thanks in Advance (TIA)
Yogi
Old 11th December 2023, 12:45   #50
BHPian

Not sure where to post this and if its been done before. Came across this on CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/08/h...ess/index.html

https://pmr.med.ufl.edu/wordpress/fi...pain-onset.pdf

Last edited by PreludeSH : 11th December 2023 at 12:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks