Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 11:38   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
The box is complete, now looking for a grill for the sub, was thinking of a 1/2inch acrylic sheet with cutouts for air flow in between and attached to the outer mdf ring on the box.
the sheet will have like a tyre alloy cutout design, and height will be 2 inches above surround cone, and for the 2" height was thinking of thinking of metal or aluminium tube with 3-4mm internal dia. Comments, suggestions.
Hi Yash !!

I would suggest something on the lines of pictures attached below. Do let me know if you need any further help with regard to material required for making such a grille. All Pictures courtesy Internet.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-woofer-grille.jpg  

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-woofer-grille2.jpg  

DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-woofer-protection.jpg  

Old 31st May 2011, 11:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Hi Yash !!

I would suggest something on the lines of pictures attached below. Do let me know if you need any further help with regard to material required for making such a grille. All Pictures courtesy Internet.
I dont think i can make the iron grill, and the finish would be a problem. I was thinking of a acrylic one so the sub is visible. On the other hand do you know where i can get something like the pictures you have attached made or materials sourced from?
Old 31st May 2011, 12:13   #33
BHPian

Something like the last picture can be easily bought from a good hardware shop. it is very similar to design of door handles available over the counter easily and in multiple sizes. If you can buy the sizes that work for you than a simple way can be devised to attach them to the MDF Ring to form a protective grille or bumper.

Last edited by diesel_maniac : 31st May 2011 at 12:14.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Something like the last picture can be easily bought from a good hardware shop. it is very similar to design of door handles available over the counter easily and in multiple sizes. If you can buy the sizes that work for you than a simple way can be devised to attach them to the MDF Ring to form a protective grille or bumper.
Oh that sounds easy, lets see, i'll give acrylic a shot otherwise the hardware shop is around the corner. thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:19   #35
BHPian

The plexi grill is done.
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011060200149.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img2011060200150.jpg

This finish is very very good and now the mounting will be done soon, thinking of using a LED strip somehow to illuminate the id Logo, any ideas ?
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Wow, excellent finish, I must say, pro job! How did the person etch the logo on the surface of the acrylic sheet? Or is that a sticker job?

Stick the LED strip to the edge, facing inwards into the grill.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Wow, excellent finish, I must say, pro job! How did the person etch the logo on the surface of the acrylic sheet? Or is that a sticker job?

Stick the LED strip to the edge, facing inwards into the grill.
The finish is just mind blowing. Logo etching is done by laser.
And for LED do you mean taking a flexible LED strip of 8-10 mm width
and since the thickness of plexi is 10mm match in on the thickness all over the round grill.(Around 50inches running will be required, any idea on price )

Also can the led's be connected to the remote wire so they switch on when the amp is on, or is it better to have a hidden switch in the boot to switch it on when required ?
i think the latter is better, to save LED hours when the trunk is closed which will be the case mostly !
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

yashshroff excellent DIY man. Been there and done that earlier, have posted a thread here. Any specific reason as to why you never chose on the close knit type FG sheets ?

Am definitely taking a cue from your thread for my ICE upgrade. Planning to build an amp rack and make better looking speaker pods this time around. Also what's the idea behind getting this plexi glass thingy ?
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
yashshroff excellent DIY man. Been there and done that earlier, have posted a thread here. Any specific reason as to why you never chose on the close knit type FG sheets ?

Am definitely taking a cue from your thread for my ICE upgrade. Planning to build an amp rack and make better looking speaker pods this time around. Also what's the idea behind getting this plexi glass thingy ?
i did refer to you post before starting Great job, and the paint job is impressive.

No reason for not choosing the close knit mat, but maybe the close knit mat will give a neater and clean finish. But because of the odd shape for the sub box, i dont know how easy will it be to mould the close knit fg mat (assuming its stiffer than the one i used) and make it stick, the mat i used in the led to air gaps in the beginning so later i got to know how to work with it properly so no air gaps are there and there's a perfect finish

This Plexiglass is going to serve as my grill for protecting the sub, as the sub is exposed and cant take the risk of someone putting stuff in the boot and damaging the cone. its my preciousssss !!
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:16   #40
BHPian

some high quality pics !
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img_2950.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img_2951.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img_2952.jpg
DIY PICS : ANHC Fiberglass Subwoofer Box-img_2953.jpg
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashshroff View Post
... And for LED do you mean taking a flexible LED strip of 8-10 mm width ...
Also can the led's be connected to the remote wire ... or ... a hidden switch in the boot
Yes, the flex LED strip around the periphery.

No, not the remote wire - LEDs will draw too much current. Hidden switch will be a pain to operate. Better: If your boot has illumination when boot is opened, tap that lamp wire. That way, the LEDs will go on when you open the boot, and off otherwise.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes, the flex LED strip around the periphery.

No, not the remote wire - LEDs will draw too much current. Hidden switch will be a pain to operate. Better: If your boot has illumination when boot is opened, tap that lamp wire. That way, the LEDs will go on when you open the boot, and off otherwise.
that sounds nice, but would that mean splicing the wire ? or there can be a connector of some sought ? i dont want to open company wires man !
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that would normally require splicing. Alternative is to solder a wire at the bulb socket.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Awesome drool stuff man, I mean the plexi glass stuff. How much did this set you back by ?
da wouldn't it make sense it just have one LED instead of a complete LED strip.Look at blueraven's setup here from his older ezen. Wonder if those Hifonics equipment came like that from the factory.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Awesome drool stuff man, I mean the plexi glass stuff. How much did this set you back by ?
da wouldn't it make sense it just have one LED instead of a complete LED strip.Look at blueraven's setup here from his older ezen. Wonder if those Hifonics equipment came like that from the factory.
it costed me 400 for plexi and 150 for cutting, engraving and i'll see when im getting the fitting done, one or strip, but i think strip will be give balanced light all over the grill, fingers crossed !

Got copper tube to put between the plexi and mdf ring to mount the ring and keep space for the surround cone, any idea how much space should be enough for the id v3 ?

Most Viewed