Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 16:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
The JBL and Kicker you have are fine. Yes there are a lot of Alpine - Infinity systems out there but I dont think I ever recommended JBL-Pioneer. In fact I think since both Pio and JBL are forward sounding mating the 2 might make the system too forward. Some might even like this sound. I am a fan of a laid back sound. I also realise the I like my sound more laid back than most people.
I find that the mids and highs from the 5750 suits my listening. I'm into a lot of alternative and amplified mids sound good.

I was considering JBL components for the front. I was wondering how that might sound. A subwoofer is in the distant future. Will the sound be too forward without a sub for the lows???
Old 24th March 2006, 17:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parijnan
I find that the mids and highs from the 5750 suits my listening. I'm into a lot of alternative and amplified mids sound good.

I was considering JBL components for the front. I was wondering how that might sound. A subwoofer is in the distant future. Will the sound be too forward without a sub for the lows???
I did not particularly mention any amplfied mids as the reason to prefer a 5750 over the others. I believe it sounds flatter.

You always want the sound to be as forward as possible, sub or not. The idea should always be to have the sub match the front speakers as much as possible in agility, frequency and spl integration so that the sub doesnt drown out the front speakers, is right there when a low note is produced that the fronts are incapable of rendering, and sufficiently matches the front speakers in speed of delivery, so you dont get a detached feeling in the two spectrums.

This is a bit off-topic probably but I cant help mentioning that irrespective of what sub you choose, due to the vast distances that the sub and fronts are usually set apart, there is always a delay in the arrival of the sub's frequencies to the listener relative to the closer fronts. Add to that the poor impulse response time that a sub exhibits and it's almost impossible to keep the sound 'forward' and not giving a feeling of having the bass guitarist in the trunk. Electronic correction aids the cause to a great extent, but can go terribly wrong if not implemented properly.

Anyway, where the hell am I going here? time for a break.
Old 24th March 2006, 17:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

B&T this is why some HUs allow you to time delay the speakers to match the bass. This does not help fully but can be a simple panacea.
Old 24th March 2006, 17:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

That was the electronic correction I was referring to. And that's exactly why I love my Alpines.
Old 24th March 2006, 18:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
That was the electronic correction I was referring to. And that's exactly why I love my Alpines.
Can I do this with the 5750??
Old 24th March 2006, 19:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
B&T this is why some HUs allow you to time delay the speakers to match the bass. This does not help fully but can be a simple panacea.
navin,this what i did yesterday with settings on my HU.

As everybody here knows that bass should 'appear' to be coming from front,i set subw time coorection settings to zero, though i like also initial setting of subw time correction,set earlier with other spk.

Though i am yet to listen my system after i made this change in settings.I wanted to ask this few days back but i thought this wud be a stupid question.
Old 25th March 2006, 16:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parijnan
Can I do this with the 5750??
Of course boss. It's easier with the 5750 than with any Alpine.

All ya gotta do is pick up the sub from the trunk and put it on the front passenger seat. Works like a miracle...almost!! Tee hee. Just kidding!
Old 25th March 2006, 18:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BT,whats electronic correction??
Old 25th March 2006, 18:41   #39
BHPian

Electronic Correction = Time Alignment = Delay
Old 25th March 2006, 21:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Hi BT,whats electronic correction??
Electronic correction is electronically delaying your front speakers (or rear.. or both) so that it compensates for the delay in time of the sub's arrival.

Simply put, typically, since the sub is far, and front speakers are nearer, the sound from the front speakers reach your ear first, then the rear speakers and finally the sub. So a device with time alignment will alow you to delay your fronts a lot and the rears a little bit so that you dont feel like the bass from the sub was heard a good few milliseconds after the mids and highs. Ideally, you would 'advance' the sub rather than delaying the speakers, but you can't do that cos everything's playing real time, right?
Old 25th March 2006, 21:42   #41
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Auto Time Alignment
Pioneer's innovative Auto Time Alignment automatically shifts the soundstage in front of the listeners, bringing out the vocals in the process, to create the optimal in-car reproduction of your music. Using the included microphone, it estimates the delay from each speaker to the listening position and adjusts the speaker sound output timing accordingly. The output timing for each speaker is adjusted precisely so that the sound from each speaker, wherever it is installed, reaches the driver's ears at the same time, thus optimizing the listening experience.
If you do it using the supplied MIC .. there is a noticable difference in the sound. Whether u like the "Automated" result is a different question.

Even alpines have this dont they ?
Old 26th March 2006, 00:52   #42
Team-BHP Support

i dont think the older alpines 9830-9833 came with a mic. I doubt if even the recent models do. but i find it better to use your ears than rely on some external object.

Ears are the most sensitive instruments we've got.

Last edited by navin : 26th March 2006 at 00:55.
Old 26th March 2006, 01:24   #43
BHPian

right navin. but for newbies, the auto eq and TA is the best thing they could ask for.
Old 26th March 2006, 11:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Electronic correction is electronically delaying your front speakers (or rear.. or both) so that it compensates for the delay in time of the sub's arrival.

Simply put, typically, since the sub is far, and front speakers are nearer, the sound from the front speakers reach your ear first, then the rear speakers and finally the sub. So a device with time alignment will alow you to delay your fronts a lot and the rears a little bit so that you dont feel like the bass from the sub was heard a good few milliseconds after the mids and highs. Ideally, you would 'advance' the sub rather than delaying the speakers, but you can't do that cos everything's playing real time, right?
oh...i thought time alignment & rlectronic correction r two different functions.
But BT front left spk has only slightly less distance than subw.Its left front and left rear which r comparatively much closer than subw.

As i wrote earlier,same thing came to my mind.
As lower freq takes longer to travel i thought of setting TA for subw to zero [ earlier it was 0.3ms as against 1.4ms for front R and 1.3ms for rear R].But i dont think changing it to zero from only 0.3 will make much difference.

JB & navin,waiting for ur comments.

Quote:
i dont think the older alpines 9830-9833 came with a mic. I doubt if even the recent models do. but i find it better to use your ears than rely on some external object.

Ears are the most sensitive instruments we've got.
my 9853 has no mic and i dont think any of alpine has it.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 26th March 2006 at 11:17.
Old 27th March 2006, 19:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Of course boss. It's easier with the 5750 than with any Alpine.

All ya gotta do is pick up the sub from the trunk and put it on the front passenger seat. Works like a miracle...almost!! Tee hee. Just kidding!
Cool. I think I will place a sub on the front seat and two on the rear sets. All my passengers can sit in the boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks