Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 13:05   #16
BHPian

I got my headunit modified to play Ipod when I change to AM Mode - any station. The headunit now has a stereo cable which goes into the Ipos's headphone jack. The mod cost me about Rs.1500(cheaper and better SQ than an ITrip ).
Old 12th April 2006, 15:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
RX,

FM by it's very nature is a compressed format. it was designed in the era of tape systems. In addition to this FM is suspect to all sorts of other interference. By using FM to transmit any music youend up compressing it and also introducing the FM related interference.
Ohh...then my basic fundas are wrong. I was thinking FM is frequency modulation where you just add carrier wave to signal before transmission and remove it once you receive the signal. So, there is no data loss as such. I understood that interference part.

Last edited by RX135 : 12th April 2006 at 15:33.
Old 12th April 2006, 15:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

RX which HU do u have
Old 12th April 2006, 15:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
I got my headunit modified to play Ipod when I change to AM Mode - any station. The headunit now has a stereo cable which goes into the Ipos's headphone jack. The mod cost me about Rs.1500(cheaper and better SQ than an ITrip ).
paid 650 for the same thing here in madras. Suggest you go back to the installer and have a word.
Old 12th April 2006, 16:08   #20
BHPian

i have the ipod 20gb 4th generation and i recently bought the itrip online..and as am in london i cant use it here becoz its illegal here..so am planning to use it when i get back to india...but the itrip cost me around 30 pounds...so that is 2400 Rs catching a rounded off rate of 80 Rs per 1£.....

cheers
kausu
Old 12th April 2006, 16:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
RX which HU do u have
In short, don't ask me because I don't know it. (Hey, I did say I am a dummy).
Actually, it is Fiat's factory fitted Nippon 6 speaker system which comes with cassette player and radio. It does its job well and I am happy with it, though I am planning to replace it with another MP3 compatible HU in near future. Alpine or Blaupunkt.
Old 12th April 2006, 17:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

GO for alpine it has good features and It is IPOD ready.
Old 13th April 2006, 22:03   #23
BHPian

Hi all

Just bought a ipod nano....Any suggestions on how I should go about connecting it to My car's Sony cdx-f5510 Head Unit ?
Old 29th April 2006, 01:52   #24
BHPian

searched so many threads but find no clear answer of how to connect 5th gen Ipod to my HU using cables and connectors? and from where i can source them in Delhi??
Old 29th April 2006, 02:23   #25
BHPian

I think i can shed some light on this subject...
when i got an ipod about a year ago, i used an fm transmitter made by Monster (of monster cable fame) which was supposed to be the best on the market at the time, based on reviews, but in a crowded area...there would be disturbance, although the dist of your fm antenna from the transmitter plays a crucial role, e.g it works quite well in an ikon, where the antenna is overhead, but theres still disturbance in crowded areas....
although when i changed the h.u on my zen , i got one with "auxilliary in"..and it works wonders!!!!!! its definitely the best bet, miles ahead of an fm transmitter.......aof course if u have a tape deck then on of those tape convertors works well too!!!
happy listening.
Old 29th April 2006, 02:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Heck ok, maybe I'm biased. But Monster aint the greatest cable on the planet. And for car audio, it ain't even in the same constellation. And the only way to connect a damn i-pod to a head unit that aint got no proprietary connector for it is the FM modulation way, and there are a lot of options by a lot of cos. other than Monster. Check em out.
Old 29th April 2006, 10:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Ohh...then my basic fundas are wrong. I was thinking FM is frequency modulation where you just add carrier wave to signal before transmission and remove it once you receive the signal. So, there is no data loss as such. I understood that interference part.
FM is freq. modulation but given the nature of superimosing the music on FM the music needs to be compressed. hence the compression. ust listen to radio or visit any radio station and you will see thy use a compressor before modulation. this makes the music seem louder and improves S/N too but you loose the dynamics.
Old 29th April 2006, 10:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Heck ok, maybe I'm biased. But Monster aint the greatest cable on the planet. And for car audio, it ain't even in the same constellation. And the only way to connect a damn i-pod to a head unit that aint got no proprietary connector for it is the FM modulation way, and there are a lot of options by a lot of cos. other than Monster. Check em out.
There are some companies making Ipod adapters that work with any HU. These come with their own display and controls.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
I think i can shed some light on this subject...
when i got an ipod about a year ago, i used an fm transmitter made by Monster (of monster cable fame) which was supposed to be the best on the market at the time, based on reviews, but in a crowded area...there would be disturbance, although the dist of your fm antenna from the transmitter plays a crucial role, e.g it works quite well in an ikon, where the antenna is overhead, but theres still disturbance in crowded areas....
although when i changed the h.u on my zen , i got one with "auxilliary in"..and it works wonders!!!!!! its definitely the best bet, miles ahead of an fm transmitter.......aof course if u have a tape deck then on of those tape convertors works well too!!!
happy listening.
OK...I have a Sony CDX 5510 HU installed about a year ago....Reading through the various ipod forums here, i know :
1. My HU doesnt have a Aux in option
2. I wont be using FM Transmitters - as people have varying degrees of experiences with it w.r.t SQ..

Now the question is - should i just take my car & ipod to any audio installer & ask him to work out a way to connect the ipod to the HU...what will be the cost ( i have the cable)....what are the kind of connections needed ? any connection needed to the car battery ?

Pls advise as i feel " technically challenged "
Old 4th May 2006, 11:08   #30
Team-BHP Support

no dont do that. if the HU is not ipod compatible some guys will butcher the HU. if your HU does not have a Aux in or other input then you will have to use FM. Dont try to modify the HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks