Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 13:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I would like to buy one for myself mainly to charge camera batteries. Is it enough if I go for 80 W inverter?
Really depends on your usage.
Normally I use mine (similar to the Belkin) for one-off charging of my son's Sony Playstation or our family laptop. With power requirements being minimal the convertor can cope fairly well.
Secondly never use the convertor with any device that requires the perfect sine-wave (sinusoidal) AC voltage directly. Instead opt for charging devices that have their own charger. These chargers usually are SMPS devices with additional capacitors/transistors built in to correct for the power requirements in the device. This is because most manufacturers chargers are rated for 110V~220V , 50 Hz~60HZ.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:23   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have been using this product from Belkin since more than 3 years now without a single issue of blown fuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have the same unit. Works like a charm.
Paragsachania/tsk1979 - could you please post the link or the keyword to search for the exact product that you have? I searched and got multiple similar looking products from Belkin with difference in prices.

Also, please confirm how many USB ports does this product have?
Old 31st July 2014, 14:03   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Paragsachania/tsk1979 - could you please post the link or the keyword to search for the exact product that you have? I searched and got multiple similar looking products from Belkin with difference in prices.

Search for "Belkin AC Anywhere".

Snapdeal has it - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/BelkinACAn/107027
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 14:11   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post

This is the product
http://www.shopclues.com/3737101.htm...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can look for other sites too
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 08:10   #140
BHPian

Is there some way I can put up a powerpoint to power up a mini-Induction stove (7" Dia, 800W as per specs)? Will make my camping trips more comfortable!

I have a Cigarette Lighter socket in the rear of my gypsy connected by 16g wire to a 20A fuse in the aux fuse box. This is currently only used to power my balance chargers for my RC planes.

It is my understanding that a cigarette lighter socket can power devices upto 100W at most without blowing the fuse? Is this correct? Can i upgauge the wiring to 8g wire and the fuse upto 60A or so and setup a AC power point capable of powering the induction stove?
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:11   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Is there some way I can put up a powerpoint to power up a mini-Induction stove (7" Dia, 800W as per specs)? Will make my camping trips more comfortable!

I have a Cigarette Lighter socket in the rear of my gypsy connected by 16g wire to a 20A fuse in the aux fuse box. This is currently only used to power my balance chargers for my RC planes.

It is my understanding that a cigarette lighter socket can power devices upto 100W at most without blowing the fuse? Is this correct? Can i upgauge the wiring to 8g wire and the fuse upto 60A or so and setup a AC power point capable of powering the induction stove?
You will have to install a new 1KW socket, similar to those used in recreation vehicles. The socket will have to be connected via a dedicate cable with a fuse inline. Note that 800W = 67A, with inverter efficiency and factor of safety thrown in you need cables, socket and fuse of at least 100A rating - similar to that required by Winch. You may also have to beef up your battery, or install a second one.

A portable 5kg gas cylinder with a small gas burner is a better alternative for camp cooking.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 19:38   #142
BHPian

Recently saw this product in snapdeal:

Its selling at a price of Rs.610/-. Has anyone used this product? Is it good for charging laptops without draining out the battery or blowing out the fuse? Can anyone please suggest if this'll be suitable for ritz.
Old 7th October 2014, 00:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

Its selling at a price of Rs.610/-. Has anyone used this product? Is it good for charging laptops without draining out the battery or blowing out the fuse? Can anyone please suggest if this'll be suitable for ritz.
Is there no power specification printed? I assume not going by the picture.

Normally the lighter socket is on a 10 A fuse on the car side. That's a power rating of 120 W.

Not sure what kind of fuse this device carries. But looking at the switch alone , I would say its not good for more than 1 A (12W). So, to play it safe, say 10 W rating.

Now most laptops are rated for upto 70W. Even if one were to assume 50 W of actual consumption that would put it outside the usable range for the switch. Now you may want to try charging the laptop with the power shut down or in hibernate mode. Not sure how much current the battery itself draws when charging, but it will certainly be lesser than with the laptop powered up. Dont think the switch or the device's fuse will blow then. The car's fuse will hold up though.

Why don't you go for a tried and tested solution instead of No-Name products?
Belkin F5L071ak200W AC Anywhere and USB Port (Black) retailing for Rs1888
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 14:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Is there no power specification printed?... most laptops are rated for upto 70W. ...
There should be a sticker on the back of the box, even if it is made in China. It doesn't occur to the sellers to put a pic of that. This one is incidentally 100 W, so it should / might support laptop bricks. Uses the standard car charger socket, so it should work in any car that has that. Available on shopclues.com for 595!

Caution: one of the reviews on Snapdeal says the person was not able to use it for a laptop (doesn't give details).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 16:28   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Normally the lighter socket is on a 10 A fuse on the car side. That's a power rating of 120 W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There should be a sticker on the back of the box, even if it is made in China. It doesn't occur to the sellers to put a pic of that. This one is incidentally 100 W, so it should / might support laptop bricks. Uses the standard car charger socket, so it should work in any car that has that. Available on shopclues.com for 595!
Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea whats the rating of the lighter socket fuse in a Ritz to be specific (didnt find it in the manual :-( )? And what are the consequences of a blown lighter socket fuse (car stalling , not starting etc ) ?
Old 7th October 2014, 17:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Any idea whats the rating of the lighter socket fuse in a Ritz to be specific (didnt find it in the manual :-( )? And what are the consequences of a blown lighter socket fuse (car stalling , not starting etc ) ?
1. It will be in the Manual - look for Accessories or ACC fuse and it's rating. It doesn't specifically say "Cigarette Lighter", but the line supplies to cigarette lighter socket, HU (ICE), etc.

2. No consequences. If the Accessories fuse blows, only the accessories stop working

3. The fuse blows as a safety measure when too much current is drawn for a line. This does not mean that accessories actually draw high current all the time. Accessories only draw as much as they require, not what the rating plate says on the box (it is always much less than that in normal operation)
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 17:30   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea whats the rating of the lighter socket fuse in a Ritz to be specific (didnt find it in the manual :-( )?
1) Just look for the fuse box. Usually in the footwell for most cars - the Ritz may be different - so check in the owner's manual where the fuse box is.
2) Open it - again look to manual for instructions to open. For most cars it's easy enough to open it - and slide the cover off.
3) At the back of the cover will be a diagram showing which fuse is for what.
4) Locate the actual fuse for the socket, and pull it out. Normally the box would contain a small plastic tongs like tool for pulling out fuses.
5) Read the Amperage rating off the fuse.
6) Push the fuse back in place, put the cover back
You're done.

Quote:
And what are the consequences of a blown lighter socket fuse (car stalling , not starting etc ) ?
Nothing much. You will stop getting power from the socket, till you replace the fuse.
Note: To avoid permanent damage to wiring harness, do always replace fuse of the same rating not higher.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 12:25   #148
BHPian

since this Belkin inverter device has only one socket, can I plug a small spike guard (eg 3-4 plugs) (or a multi-pin socket) and expand the overall capability to charge more devices simultaneously ?

if yes, what to look in specs of such spike guard ?
Old 26th March 2015, 15:54   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
expand the overall capability to charge more devices simultaneously ?
The total load should not cross 200w. Generally a bad idea unless you want to plug wall socket chargers in those extra plugs.

What are you aiming at?
Old 26th March 2015, 16:16   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The total load should not cross 200w. Generally a bad idea unless you want to plug wall socket chargers in those extra plugs.

What are you aiming at?
not much load - maybe charging together few cameras & mobiles ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks