Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 00:19   #16
BANNED

My suggestion for AMP!

Get a Monoblock AMP (Entry level suits fine) and let it fire the subwoofer.
Your present four channel can fire all the 4 speakers including the combos.

The monoblock can fire that sub well! and no confusions with the speakers here too as the 4channel AMP will do that job fine!
Put your components on the front door. It will help a lot in sound imaging.
You can check my ALTO setup for more info. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...alto-pics.html

Enjoy the sound!
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
My suggestion for AMP!

The monoblock can fire that sub well! and no confusions with the speakers here too as the 4channel AMP will do that job fine!
Put your components on the front door. It will help a lot in sound imaging.
You can check my ALTO setup for more info. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...alto-pics.html

Enjoy the sound!
A good Mono can cost 10k up and hence I wont say its an entry level upgrade.

a sony 504 for under 5k; a pio 6100f for 7k; some blau units at similar price. BUt 10k plus you have lot if option.

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd May 2006 at 08:10.
Old 22nd May 2006, 13:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Do you get any other amps with that price?? and how does sony amp and jbl compos sound??
It sounds pretty good. Yes, there are better amps, which can make it sound better, but not at that price.
Old 22nd May 2006, 14:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion for AMP!

Not always necessary to buy a monoblock to erm.. fire a sub. Especially if you're on a tight budget and using a sub that really isn't worth that much amplification money. You could buy a powerful 4-ch amp and run it in bridged mode and get the same results as buying a stupidly expensive entry-level monoblock. That's why DVC subs were made anyway! So, for example, you could get a Pioneer 6100, and bridge and erm.. fire both voice coils of the sub, and use your existing amp to drive 4 speakers.

Just make sure that you erm...fire both coils with as similar power as possible by keeping the gains the same.

Now I know why Audiobahn's caption in 2004 was 'We're on Fire'.
Old 22nd May 2006, 19:32   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
You could buy a powerful 4-ch amp and run it in bridged mode and get the same results as buying a stupidly expensive entry-level monoblock. That's why DVC subs were made anyway! So, for example, you could get a Pioneer 6100, and bridge and erm.. fire both voice coils of the sub, and use your existing amp to drive 4 speakers.

Just make sure that you erm...fire both coils with as similar power as possible by keeping the gains the same.
Yes! Correctly said. If a monoblock is out of reach, then a 4channel will suit fine. Especially for SUBs like this PIO DVC. I used to do that for one of my subs with a 4channel amp bridged and firing both voice coils. But that was a year ago and I loved it then.
Now when I hear a similar setup, I go fishy, fishy, fishy.... hmmmm, the punch is not great, the bass is too loose, too much booming sounds..... You know? many things like these run into my mind. But blame it on that monoblock! it spoiled my good opinion about firing a subwoofer with 4channel amps.
Old 22nd May 2006, 19:50   #21
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions guys..

Speedzak, I am on a tight budjet, So buying a monoblock hmmm.... not possble...

Sam, Would you advice me to go ahead with the setup then??

Jk, I think I will ask the price for pio6100 as well, Is it better than sony??

B&T, (Just make sure that you erm...fire both coils with as similar power as possible by keeping the gains the same.)

How do yo do that??
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

yes; better than 504
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now when I hear a similar setup, I go fishy, fishy, fishy.... hmmmm, the punch is not great, the bass is too loose, too much booming sounds..... You know? many things like these run into my mind. But blame it on that monoblock! it spoiled my good opinion about firing a subwoofer with 4channel amps.
??? Are you trying to say that one would get boomy and loose bass unless you use a monoblock to drive your subs? And that a stereo amp in bridged mode will surely lead to disorderly bass?? Or are you just ruing the fact that you have been psychologically led to believe that a monoblock is better although the fact is that there's something principally wrong with the way the bass is set-up???

Quote:
Jk, I think I will ask the price for pio6100 as well, Is it better than sony?
The 6100 is definitely more powerful than the Sony 504.

Quote:
B&T, (Just make sure that you erm...fire both coils with as similar power as possible by keeping the gains the same.)

How do yo do that?
Simple, keep the gains the same.

Connect the sub-out from the head unit to the amp into the A-channel inputs. I think the 6100 has a 2-ch input provision, so switch that to '2-ch' if it's on '4-ch'. Connect both voice coils to the 2 different bridged outputs on the amp, i.e. one coil to bridged output of Ch A, and one to Ch B. Keep the gain levels absolutely the same on both channels A and B, ideally at 'normal', but then it would depend on your head unit's pre-out voltage. Keep the crossover on 'flat' for both sets of channels.
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YOu didnt tune ur amp I guess. check your LPF setting. Keep it at less than 100Hz or at 80Hz
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:50   #25
BHPian

Thank you B&T and Jk, I got the picture

Okay I have a stupid question,max power in Pio6100f is 600w and the sub that I have delivers 800w output, So how does that work??

Speedzak, As you rightly mentioned there were a lot of vibrations before, Primaily because the speakers were kept in An MDF plank and the subwoofer was kept in a sealed enclsure and was facing the roof,

I went to anwar the other day and he did a complete reinstall, Now the subwoofer is kept in a ported enclosure facing the boot, Also the speakers have been kept in custom made enclosures

Even tho no dampening material were used the effect is really nice.( as far as I see it)

I think you have got used to your car and know what the diff is, I sat in anwars car, A fully blown up santro, He has invested a lakh and a half in it, The effect was awesome, So yes I see where you are coming from,

However IMHO, the setup sounds nice
Old 22nd May 2006, 21:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Okay I have a stupid question,max power in Pio6100f is 600w and the sub that I have delivers 800w output, So how does that work??
No worries, they're both peak power ratings and the rms power doesn't even come close to those numbers. The combination will be just fine. Purists (read as Navin, Sam, Gunbir, JB) would have the amp power far more than the sub's handling to accomodate headroom, but then they wouldn't buy a Pioneer sub either . Just go ahead and hook it up, or you'll be spending through your tits buying some 1kW monoblock and a super hi-fidelity sub if you listen to us nuts!

As for Anwar, he should be able to figure this out without so much as breaking a sweat.
Old 22nd May 2006, 21:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No worries, they're both peak power ratings and the rms power doesn't even come close to those numbers. The combination will be just fine. Purists (read as Navin, Sam, Gunbir, JB) would have the amp power far more than the sub's handling to accomodate headroom, but then they wouldn't buy a Pioneer sub either . Just go ahead and hook it up, or you'll be spending through your tits buying some 1kW monoblock and a super hi-fidelity sub if you listen to us nuts!

As for Anwar, he should be able to figure this out without so much as breaking a sweat.
lol; pssstt btw us; Sam loves the Pio HU that has teh dolphin thingy.
Old 22nd May 2006, 23:58   #28
BANNED

Quote:
??? Are you trying to say that one would get boomy and loose bass unless you use a monoblock to drive your subs? And that a stereo amp in bridged mode will surely lead to disorderly bass?? Or are you just ruing the fact that you have been psychologically led to believe that a monoblock is better although the fact is that there's something principally wrong with the way the bass is set-up???
No, No, No man. It's something I experienced. There should've been a serious problem with my 4channel amp setup that I could not enjoy the sound. I later found out that my SUB was a reference 1200WATTS and the 4channel was simply 440WATTS which peaked at 800W. Ofcourse you can't expect that thing to lift the subwoofer!

I went around looking for installs in Bangalore, Kerala etc.. and went thru many of those heavy ICE installed cars and always found the monoblock equipped cars to be better sounding. The bass was to be felt and much composed than the other ones.

I am not saying that you cannot get great sound from a 4channel. What I wanted to say was once you have a powerful SUB (say 600W RMS above etc...) then the ideal thing to fire it will be monoblock. And ofcourse, when you cant get a mono, then get a powerful 2 channel or 4 channel and bridge the channels and work the better out of it. And If it's tuned well maybe it can sound better than the mono!! Aisnt it?? (I am stiil saying MAYBE)

Somebody please knock that monoblock effect off my head PLEASE!!!!!!!
Old 23rd May 2006, 00:54   #29
BHPian

Speedzak, The custom enclosures on your doors, What is it made of?? Looks like the door pockets have gone for a toss.. How did he fix it?

B&T, I spoke to anwar and he is against both the amps, He is giving me a budjet of 15k, or dont do it, I think I will wait for some time and get it done properly!

Last edited by Knight Rider : 23rd May 2006 at 00:56.
Old 23rd May 2006, 16:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
lol; pssstt btw us; Sam loves the Pio HU that has teh dolphin thingy.
Just wait'll Pioneer comes out with a HU display that has some skimpily dressed women with ghetto booties. Now that, I'm sure, Sam would love.

Most Viewed