Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2014, 20:19   #31
BHPian

re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Hi folks! I am contemplating upgrading my Head unit on the Passat trendline. It currently has a RCD 310.

My motive to upgrade the head unit is to improve functionality and overall ambiance in the car. At first I was looking at the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 but uneven button lighting (left and right) and the button lights off when the stereo is off put me off. Currently the all the buttons of the headunit light up with the rest of the buttons in the car. (OE look and feel).

Now after some thorough team bhp time, I have come across cheap RCD 510s from China,(made by Delhpi). The prices are a bargain for what they offer. Frankly I would get a SD card slot, OE look and a 6.5 inch 6 cd changer if I only for the head unit replacement without any extra modules (say bluetooth, camera, USB etc.).

What do you guys suggest. Is it worth it? should I go for the BOSCH unit? What are the downsides? Anything I need to be careful of?
Old 5th June 2014, 13:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
I have done extensive research on this matter and the reasons why I chose the Delphi (China) v/s Bosch (Portugal) were as follows:
Hi n:CorE, I read about your Delphi RCD 510 and wanted to ask some crucial questions. I own a Passat that has a RCD 310 unit installed (With AUX input in the armrest).

I want to upgrade to a RCD 510. I am pretty much sold for the Delphi unit looking at its value proposition but One concern I have is that will the AUX input continue to work with the new Delphi unit or do I need the EU bosch unit.

As I learnt, Delphi unit can hook up with a separate AUX and USB cable for respective functions but I am not sure whether there is a similar separate AUX cable in the RCD 310 already installed or the AUX works through the big cluster plug (whatever it is called ).

I am basically not looking for any additional features but just the Head unit upgrade while retaining AUX functionality the same way it is right now.

A quick reply would be helpful as i have someone flying in from china tomorrow.
Thanks so much
Old 28th June 2014, 13:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Thank you vinj,
So are you saying that I should get another bluetooth kit along with rcd510 if I want to retain bluetooth facility?

Also what about the appearance of the name of the contact on the screen issue?
Hi Rakchow,

so did you end up upgrading your HU ?
Im taking delivery of my vento HL TDi in a couple of days. And I too wanted to go with the RCD 510.

Any other options we have ? other than the Blau 835 and others already discussed earlier.

I too dont want to miss the existing functionality of the RCD320. Instead would like to gain on the additional supports such as OPS, Rear view cam in future, BT with 9w7 , climatronic controls on the HU among others.
Old 28th June 2014, 19:39   #34
BHPian

No Mr.Prakash.

I am buried in work..no time to do addons.

Will get it done someday though
Old 6th July 2014, 16:01   #35
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians. As you all know I finally got the RCD 510 (Made by Delphi) from China. I got the highline variant that comes with USB and Reversing camera support.
Although the Headunit looks nice, the problem is that it supports up to 8 speakers in the car whereas my Passat came with 10 speakers. As a result, not all speakers on my car work now. I tried to fiddle with VCDS as well but to no luck. I'll need the Bosch Unit to make all my speakers produce sound.
Now I am planning to return to my RCD 310 for a while in the meanwhile I source the Bosch unit.

If someone on team-bhp wants to pick up my unit (Delphi, its literally 1 week old) then he can message me.

Or if someone wants to know more about the unit, then he/she can also contact me
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:42   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Fellow BHPians. As you all know I finally got the RCD 510 (Made by Delphi) from China. I got the highline variant that comes with USB and Reversing camera support.
Although the Headunit looks nice, the problem is that it supports up to 8 speakers in the car whereas my Passat came with 10 speakers. As a result, not all speakers on my car work now. I tried to fiddle with VCDS as well but to no luck. I'll need the Bosch Unit to make all my speakers produce sound.
Now I am planning to return to my RCD 310 for a while in the meanwhile I source the Bosch unit.

If someone on team-bhp wants to pick up my unit (Delphi, its literally 1 week old) then he can message me.

Or if someone wants to know more about the unit, then he/she can also contact me
I am in the look out to upgrade by stock RCD310 on my Vento. Do not have private message option to contact you but would like to get more details about the unit you have. What is the best way to get in touch with you?
Old 1st August 2014, 17:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
I am in the look out to upgrade by stock RCD310 on my Vento. Do not have private message option to contact you but would like to get more details about the unit you have. What is the best way to get in touch with you?

Shoot your opinion once more in any thread that interests you and you will have the PM feature available
Old 1st August 2014, 18:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Hey, I don't have the headunit anymore but can help you with any queries that you might have. So ask me anything?
Old 5th August 2014, 11:32   #39
BHPian

BTW, where are you guys getting the 510 for such throw away rates...PM if you cant post here.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 11:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
BTW, where are you guys getting the 510 for such throw away rates...PM if you cant post here.

Log on to www.aliexpress.com

Its a Chinese parent company Alibaba.com venture. Lot of BHPians seem to use this with satisfactory experience.

You will find RCD510 ranging from $ 85 - $ 192 depending on the seller and make of the headsets ( Bosch or Delphi ).
Old 18th August 2014, 03:06   #41
BHPian

Guys, so a quick question here. I have a rcd 300+ system in the jetta comfortline. Will the 510 be plug and play?

I don't care much for Bluetooth and prefer using the aux. I am more interested in getting the touch screen and ops view.

Last edited by mav2000 : 18th August 2014 at 03:07.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:54   #42
BHPian

Has anyone in Bangalore got their RCD 510 installed from a good installer? Any pointers to the same would be appreciated.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:20   #43
BHPian

From reading the whole thread, it looks like installing the RCD510 is very straight forward as long as we have the low line audio to high line audio adaptor and fakra antenna convertor. The complicated part seems to be the bluetooth module installation. Can someone confirm if the bluetooth module installation will be easier if I get the plug&play harness with it.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1972697745.html
Also is the foam needed?
Old 4th September 2014, 16:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
Can someone confirm if the bluetooth module installation will be easier if I get the plug&play harness with it.
Also is the foam needed?
I've ordered the harness, will let you know once I get it installed. I ordered the foam too just for protecting the module.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 17:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I've ordered the harness, will let you know once I get it installed. I ordered the foam too just for protecting the module.
According to the supplier this harness will make the installation very straight forward. However I would like to hear it from somebody who has used it to get first hand info. Do let me know once you get it installed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks