Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 16:24   #76
BHPian

re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope just the ISO connectors as shown in the second image on post #72. The image which you've shared from Newtonmeter's thread (this one) shows the Quadlock connector installed which he might have sourced from outside.

Anyways, let the Quadlock adapter arrive and let me have a look. Will get an idea. I have the pin layouts of the RCD 510 with me.

Shall update this thread with the findings.
You need to connect the two CAN wires from the harness to the CAN wires in the existing connector. I got that done by splicing the wires but there should be a better way to do it. You can take a look at the RCD320 pin diagram to figure out the location of the two CAN wires in the stock connector.
Old 19th June 2015, 16:27   #77
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
You need to connect the two CAN wires from the harness to the CAN wires in the existing connector. I got that done by splicing the wires but there should be a better way to do it. You can take a look at the RCD320 pin diagram to figure out the location of the two CAN wires in the stock connector.
Yep, I figured out that's the way to go about with the CAN connections. BTW, this is the RCD320 pin layout and the ISO connectors from the 2013 GT:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-rcd-320-stock-iso-connector.jpg
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:18   #78
BHPian

Re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosharulvan View Post
I think you are referring to the modes used in high end head units where we choose to enable or disable the amplifier circuitry of the head unit; when we use rca.

In case of rcd510 it is quite different.
If you see the connectors on the rcd510 there is no pre out or wires for pre out on the head unit. You just have high level speaker wires at the back of the HU.
This tweak which vcds does is actually the reverse of what you are telling. It sends rca signals through the same wire which is used for high level speaker inputs. In this case the system can be used with either rca as output or high level speaker wires as output. Both of them cannot be used together. What makes me wonder is how well will it performs and does this tweak actually work? If it works then those using high level speaker inputs to amps can actually use this tweak in vcds and change the head unit to output rca signals in speaker wires. All they need is an rca with spliced wires at one end to connect to the hu speaker level inputs to obtain a clean signal. Probably this method is more efficient and provides a cleaner signal when connected to external amplifiers.
Your understanding is correct. Using VCDS, you can make the HU give out pre-amp signals or full speaker level signals through the same set of speaker wires. Just a matter of coding it to give out the kind of signals required. Which all HUs are capable of this, needs some googling and reading to find out. Even the basic HU that came in good old Laura with 12 speaker set up had this feature I guess because there was an external amp. under the passenger seat which was fed from the HU. While going through the radio/navigation module with VCDS, I have seen this option. This link shows the VCDS screen shots of these options - http://www.my-gti.com/1411/volkswage...tory-amplifier

Even if not installing a factory amplifier (OE), one or more of the options shown there should do the job of reducing the output stage power to line out level. This example is for RNS 510 HU.

Quote:
Asking because I am switching to the RCD 510 and I am in the process of R&D regarding the harness etc.

Decided to go with the cheaper Delphi unit instead of the more expensive Bosch unit. The UI of my Blaupunkt unit is really substandard for a 40k+ unit + I wasn't using the built in navigation feature for sometime + the unit repeats the songs which were already played when the ignition is turned off and on (i.e. stopping the car and restarting it). Decided to sell it off and settle for the RCD510 unit.
You took a good decision to stick with OE HU. None of those aftermarket HUs which claim to integrate fully with the car has the 100% perfection to perform in such a car. Best of the aftermarket I saw was Dynavin. But even that had some minor bugs like I reported in my review. Finally swapped it for RNS 510 Columbus and top of the line BT unit (which has wifi sharing option, but does not work with iPhone). OE back up cam of Tiguan customized and hooked up, now that's the kinda setup these cars deserve. I remember seeing VW Polo with RCD 510, OE BT kit and a VW logo OE back up flip cam. Perfect! No aftermarket "100% OE integrating" setup, even if it has video, navigation and whatever, IMO, matches this kinda OE setup. The experience is totally bug free and seamless.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 18:43   #79
BHPian

HI
I have 2010 Vento highline auto,I would llike to install RC510, since I stay in dubai I would like to get it from here. Will it be plug and play or I need to get cables also. Anybody in dubai who know where I can get RCD510.
Uday
Old 31st July 2015, 16:54   #80
BHPian

I need help with installing rcd510 and bluetooth in my Jetta comfortline mk6. I have installed both of them but they are not reachable in the VCDS. I have enabled the [77] phone option in the installation list. I get a fault code in the CAN GATEWAY which says " 01305 - databus for infotainment 004 - no signal/communication ".

The music is playing and MFSW controls are working but there is no OPS display on the HU.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 31st July 2015, 17:04   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
I need help with installing rcd510 and bluetooth in my Jetta comfortline mk6. I have installed both of them but they are not reachable in the VCDS. I have enabled the [77] phone option in the installation list. I get a fault code in the CAN GATEWAY which says " 01305 - databus for infotainment 004 - no signal/communication ".

The music is playing and MFSW controls are working but there is no OPS display on the HU.

Any help would be appreciated.
You will need to link the CAN Gateway of your Jetta with the HU to get the OPS and climatronic display.

Google translate this link - https://www.drive2.ru/l/3142797/

It has all the information.
Old 31st July 2015, 17:26   #82
BHPian

Quote:
You will need to link the CAN Gateway of your Jetta with the HU to get the OPS and climatronic display.

Google translate this link - https://www.drive2.ru/l/3142797/

It has all the information.
Thanks @Gannu_1. I have translated the link and I will go through the information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 31st July 2015, 17:28   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks @Gannu_1. I have translated the link and I will go through the information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
No worries.

Do post the snaps of your stock ISO connectors and the diagram on your previous HU. Would make it a whole lot easier to decode the connections.
Old 31st July 2015, 18:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
No worries.

Do post the snaps of your stock ISO connectors and the diagram on your previous HU. Would make it a whole lot easier to decode the connections.
The previous unit is RCD300+ if that helps. The link that you have posted mentions the upgrade from a 320 to 510 unit. Will it make a difference?

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_20140312_073017.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_20140312_074221.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_20140312_073029.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 09:14. Reason: Rotating images.
Old 31st July 2015, 22:53   #85
BHPian

I have gone through the post at drive2.ru. It is mentioned that I need to connect pin 10 and 20 of the CAN Gateway to CAN high and CAN low of the rcd510 whereas the CAN high and CAN low are already connected in the quadlock.

So I am still stuck at the same place. Any inputs?
Old 1st August 2015, 09:11   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have gone through the post at drive2.ru. It is mentioned that I need to connect pin 10 and 20 of the CAN Gateway to CAN high and CAN low of the rcd510 whereas the CAN high and CAN low are already connected in the quadlock.
But they are not connected to the CAN Gateway unit which is why you are getting that error in VCDS and you are not getting the OPS/Climatronic display in the HU.

You need to connect the CAN + and CAN - cables to pin no. 10 and 20 of the CAN gateway unit as shown in the drive2.ru link.

Here's another link which mentions the same - https://www.drive2.ru/l/5305779/

Quote:
Above the gas pedal will be seen a little red connector. He is there only one. Disconnect it. Pulling off to the side a white red tie holding a protective casing connector, after pushing something subtle to lock the other side and take out the black plug itself out of this red jacket. Visually inspect the connector to easily read the numbers 10 and 20 at one of its ends. These holes 10 and 20, we then need to insert two crimped wire 2mm. pins N90764701.
It's a good thing you already have a Quadlock connector from the factory. Some cars shipped with ISO connectors and required the adapter to interconnect both.

Connect the CAN + and CAN - cables to the CAN gateway unit and your issue will be resolved. You will need 2 VW terminals (N90764701) which are crimped to the cables and these terminals are inserted into the empty slots of the 20 pin female connector of the CAN gateway unit.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-94ea3e4s960.jpg

Use Scotchlok connectors to tap these cables to the CAN cables on the Quadlock connector.

EDIT: You will need to upgrade the CAN Gateway unit to avoid battery drain issues. Upgrading involves a swap and recoding the new module using VCDS. Read this link - my-gti

Quote:
The problem is the CAN bus Gateway is too old and an updated version 1k0907530 (1k0 907 530) of L revision or higher is required.
Let me know if you face any issues.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 09:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 10:35   #87
BHPian

Quote:
But they are not connected to the CAN Gateway unit which is why you are getting that error in VCDS and you are not getting the OPS/Climatronic display in the HU.

You need to connect the CAN + and CAN - cables to pin no. 10 and 20 of the CAN gateway unit

EDIT: You will need to upgrade the CAN Gateway unit to avoid battery drain issues. Upgrading involves a swap and recoding the new module using VCDS. Read this link - my-gti

Let me know if you face any issues.
Do you mean to say that I have to terminate the CAN GATEWAY connection to the existing CAN HIGH AND CAN LOW on the quadlock?
Old 1st August 2015, 10:45   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you mean to say that I have to terminate the CAN GATEWAY connection to the existing CAN HIGH AND CAN LOW on the quadlock?
No. In your CAN gateway, check if there are connections on pin nos. 10 and 20. Pin no. 20 is exactly behind pin no. 10. If none, you will need to connect the CAN + and CAN - cables to these pins. The CAN cables can be tapped from anywhere - HU quadlock, climatronic unit, OBD connector etc. The easiest in this case being the quadlock connection.

carizma, the bigger issue here is the battery drain which will be caused. Are you facing this issue? You will know in due time if you've done the swap recently.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 10:50.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:17   #89
BHPian

The pin 10 and 20 of CAN gateway are not connected. So I connected the CAN GATEWAY pin 20 & 10 to the quadlock pin 9 (CAN HIGH) $ 10 (CAN LOW) but without any success. The Radio [56] and the bluetooth [77] are still not communicating with the VCDS nor is the OPS display visible on the HU.

It seems that the problem lies somewhere else.

Last edited by carizma : 2nd August 2015 at 12:21.
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:40   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pin 10 and 20 of CAN gateway are not connected. So I connected the CAN GATEWAY pin 20 & 10 to the quadlock pin 9 (CAN HIGH) $ 10 (CAN LOW) but without any success. The Radio [56] and the bluetooth [77] are still not communicating with the VCDS nor is the OPS display visible on the HU.

It seems that the problem lies somewhere else.
carizma, sorry to hear that. Looks like we've hit a dead end or are about to! As a last resort, were you doubly sure that the connections to CAN + and CAN - were done as per the drive2 link and not interchanged (i.e. CAN + to pin no. 20 and CAN - to pin no. 10)?

From where did you tap the CAN connections from?

What BT system are you pairing with this system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks