Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:32   #46
BHPian

Re: ICE for the 4th-gen Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Thanks for enlightening me. Old man's follies - I must have missed something. I have seen 'Prev' and 'Next' working, but not FFD/RWD. Depends on the buffer size, I would think, as the whole media file is not in local storage when the song / video is playing.
We all have been blindsided by the technology improvements. None of us are immune to this phenomenon. The file in question need not be in buffer entirely in local storage to achieve rev/fw. These days the internet connections are so fast that they just download the chunk just in time, based on your fw/rew inputs. Also, the 4G LTE on my phone is so fast, that the entire song gets bufferred in 3 seconds flat. At home, sometimes I go through an entire movie in 3-4 mins. (Why? thats another story). Time to rephrase the saying 'Time and Tide wait for no man' to 'Time and Tide and Technology wait for no man or woman'.

Quote:
I am used to listening to Internet Radio in the car since 2006, so my understanding may be faulty. That was through a Car PC feeding analog output (from an external USB-based DA converter) directly into the Aux-in of the HU.
If you dont mind sharing, what is your current setup?

Quote:
If the HU is about 2" high, it is 1DIN. If it is ~4" high or more, it is 2DIN.
With your permission, I will make this my slogan :-). Thank you. Simple and effective way to understand things.

Quote:
You can buy it from dealers, or get it from an ecommerce site. Don't get scared of the Warranty thing - the voiding happens only when there is a major modification or cutting of the OE harness. ...
Noted. I will talk to my service engineer soon. (If you are aware), please let me know if Pioneer CarPlay (App Radio 4) is a good fit for my car.

Quote:
The most sensible thing is to differentiate NEEDS from WANTS. BT-based hands-free function is a genuine need.
Well said. I will wait for your inputs for Pioneer AppRadio 4.
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... If you dont mind sharing, what is your current setup? ...
It is a very simple Intel Atom based setup with 4GB RAM and a 500GB laptop HDD, running Windows 7. Internet access via dongle. Have done audio and video conferencing many times on the move. Don't use it very often nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
... please let me know if Pioneer CarPlay (App Radio 4) is a good fit for my car. ...
Yes, it would be. Go ahead.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:54   #48
BHPian

I went through the 45+ posts of this thread and I am completely lost. All these technicalities are going right over my head.

I am looking for ICE upgrade on my Honda City 2014 V MT within a budget of 10K. The model already comes built-in with 4 Speakers and 4 Tweeters. As has been mentioned in the post and also in the Official review of Honda City, the front speakers are good enough but the rear speakers are weak.

The sound Clarity of the Honda City I feel is fairly decent but it lacks bass (Punch Factor of the thump that we all desire). To counter this, I was looking at the possibility of adding an Active Sub-Woofer or a Bass Tube without doing any changes to the HU and existing Speakers and Tweeters. My queries are:
  1. Will this help in improving the bass (punch factor that I feel is lacking)?
  2. What output Subwoofers should be good enough for a decent Bass? I don't expect this to be like a Discotheque thing, but definitely feel the lack of Thump in the car.
  3. With a budget of around 10K, Can I get a decent upgrade I desire? If yes, which brands / products should I lookout for?
  4. Lastly, would it make any difference between an Active Subwoofer and a normal Subwoofer with an external amplifier?
  5. How do I know if my existing HU is capable of adding on this Subwoofer?

Last edited by tejas08 : 2nd November 2015 at 12:07. Reason: Added another query
Old 17th February 2016, 21:44   #49
BHPian

I haven't seen any reply as of yet for the below query I posted.

In the meawhile, I did some more research on the internet and confused my self even more. I need advice to opt from the two options.
  1. As indicated in the below post, I am feeling the lack of the Punch factor from the ICE (Thump effect). So the first thing that comes to my mind is adding a Sub-woofer with an amplifier. I was thinking about an active sub-woofer but came to know that Active sub-woofers cannot be disconnected when I feel so. So if it's a Sub-Woofer, it will be a Passive Sub-woofer with a seperate amplifier.
  2. Other option I have arrived to is replacing the existing speakers (Front and Rear) with 6.5" Component and Co-Axials.

It would be helpful if someone can suggest me which of the above options would be better and economical.

Also, will the existing HU too need to be changed to achieve a significant difference in the Audio Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
I went through the 45+ posts of this thread and I am completely lost. All these technicalities are going right over my head.

I am looking for ICE upgrade on my Honda City 2014 V MT within a budget of 10K. The model already comes built-in with 4 Speakers and 4 Tweeters. As has been mentioned in the post and also in the Official review of Honda City, the front speakers are good enough but the rear speakers are weak.

The sound Clarity of the Honda City I feel is fairly decent but it lacks bass (Punch Factor of the thump that we all desire). To counter this, I was looking at the possibility of adding an Active Sub-Woofer or a Bass Tube without doing any changes to the HU and existing Speakers and Tweeters. My queries are:
  2. What output Subwoofers should be good enough for a decent Bass? I don't expect this to be like a Discotheque thing, but definitely feel the lack of Thump in the car.
  3. With a budget of around 10K, Can I get a decent upgrade I desire? If yes, which brands / products should I lookout for?
  4. Lastly, would it make any difference between an Active Subwoofer and a normal Subwoofer with an external amplifier?
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 10:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post

Ok, Since it is the the Thump that you are missing, and for the budget, i would suggest you go with a bass tube (some thing like a JBL GTX 1200T), a 2 channel amp (Sony or JBL) and a decent wiring kit. They shouldn't add up to more than 12K.

Over the years I have got a lot of subwoofers and speakers installed in my various cars and a lot of my friends cars, but never did we work with a stock HU. So find out if the Stock HU has a Sub Out (Pre Out) for the subwoofer or if a crossover thinge has to be used to get the LFE output. And as for the rear speakers, you could replace them with similar sized speakers form a reputed brand like JBL or Infinity. I am sure they will sound way better than the factory installed speakers.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 21:14   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Plenty of options from Kenwood / JVC / Pioneer / Alpine / Sony. Please check the functionality (and bells & whistles) provided by each model on their websites (most have an India specific website for the models they sell in India), and compare against your list of needs. For example, BT, navigation, time alignment, etc. All the HUs today support iPhones via docking cable (USB). Smartphones via USB is also standard, since they appear as file storage. Good-to-have is App access.

If your current HU is giving you functionality you need currently (there is always a wish list, na!), yet you feel there is something missing in the music, first change the speakers: components in front, coaxials in rear. There is a very large array of options in the market, so it is better that you listen to the options (preferably in a car) before taking a decision on which one to buy. Don't just go by reviews and opinions - your ears are the best judge.
Well, reviving old thread with refreshing old connection DerAlte. Wish to upgrade ICE in company owned 2014 Honda City SV

I am almost done with replacing front component speaker with co-axial in rear to fit in company default parcel position. Any specific brand you would like to suggest here. I am fan of crystal clear vocal, sharp highs with tight Bass. Please also suggest how to power it front and rear speakers with branded amplifier.

Would like to continue 2 DIN stock HU initially with above set up.

A decent reverse camera on wish list to fit into it, if you could suggest.

Thanks for all.
Old 24th July 2018, 00:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am in a tricky situation.

I bought a 2014 Dec CVT model city. The car had mapmyindia system fitted into the same, however I dont like it one bit.

Hence to change the system, I bought a Top model ICE from a guy who changed his system to a large touch unit from Pioneer I think. His was a 2017 December VX model.

The system looks completely identical, however when I tried to fit it in my city, the plug sizes for wiring has changed and the system is not compatible with the older system.

I am now stuck with a absolutely new HU of city Top model which I bought at a fairly large sum of money. However I need the old one. Any thoughts on how I can get my car to stock setup and leverage the system I have bought from the new model?
Old 24th July 2018, 11:55   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I bought a 2014 Dec CVT model city.

I bought a Top model ICE...His was a 2017 December VX model.

The system looks completely identical, however when I tried to fit it in my city, the plug sizes for wiring has changed and the system is not compatible with the older system.

I am now stuck with a absolutely new HU of city Top model which I bought at a fairly large sum of money. However I need the old one.
Firstly pictures of the ICE system including the wires and plugs may help.

That said OEM systems are sometimes not compatible from model to model. They have several interfaces and it rather adventurous for you to attempt this.
Old 21st April 2019, 14:28   #54

Honda City E 2010 Gen5 Infotainment Update

I’m looking for an infotainment system for my Honda City E, 2010 gen5. The reason I want to do this upgrade is because the current stock system does not allow me to split audio front and rear, the balance can only be adjusted left and right.
The other problem that’s started is the vibrating noise from door panels on the front side. I believe an overhaul of the panels, disassemble and reassembly with some added foam padding should fix that, but however I feel a new set of speakers should help me and will save the pains of doing this again very soon down the line. The speakers are not so clear also.
The console is also very aged and feature less. I’d love to have a good mix of connectivity options like AppleCarplay and AndroidAuto inbuilt. Navigation is not important. The ability to add a reverse parking camera later would be a nice addition.
The biggest requirement however that the console should be a straight slide in fit in the dash, dash modification is not an option as I want to do the install, and this is my first project ever.
I would like to even understand the major this that I must keep in mind before doing something of this sort.
Do I need switch the wires for the speakers?
Oh yes important note 2: 4 door speakers only.
Old 20th June 2019, 12:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone experience with this brand called FoxFire?

They are selling 10.1 inch Android Head Units for Honda City. This seems to be very similar to the other local brand called "Hypersonic". Foxfire units are priced higher than Hypersonic and they offer a 4G SIM Slot as well on the Head Unit.

Key Highlights:
  • Android Oreo 8.1
  • 2GB RAM/32GB Built In Memory
  • Capacitive TouchScreen
  • Coupler to Coupler - Plug and Play.
  • Works fine with Steering Mounted Controls, OEM Reverse Camera and Radio Antenna.
  • They add an additional Bluetooth Mic.

Enclosed is their full brochure:
Foxfire Infotainment 2019.PDF

Looking for experiences from others who may have gone for either Foxfire or the Hypersonic units.
Old 14th July 2019, 07:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Did not get any updates for my questions above - I have gone ahead and made the upgrade to Foxfire.
My Experience is now compiled - cross-linking here for convenience >
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 11:09   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Has anyone experience with this brand called FoxFire?
I did not even understand the requirement. I don't know anything about Android or computers. However I read your thread with great interest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks