Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 09:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
1) Does new HU come with remote?
Yes it does, and I forgot to take a picture of that.
Quote:
2) Does it support video input?
No it does not. In fact, I too wanted to settle for something with a Video Input so that I could later DIY a reverse Camera that would use the HU itself as display rather than a separate unit for screen on the dash.
Another reason that I didn't settle for a Touch+screen was because of these 2 reasons:
- I already bought a Headrest mount for the Tab for my daughter so that she can spend time watching her favorite videos independently while seated on the rear seat
- A touchscreen for me would be too sensitive and I feared the unit getting abused at the ASC whenever I gave my car for routine service (Yes, these fellas do get inquisitive looking at my dashcam or armrest or even the headrest mount for the tab with no tab in it!)

Quote:
Reason for asking is my office colleague had expressed his desire to change the HU for his Ertiga and this thread is going to be like bible to him.
In future, if your friend wants to install a reverse camera, ask him to pick a head unit with a touchscreen. So he needs to look for Touchscreen (DVD by default for this) & Bluetooth so that its scalable for future upgrades.

These HU's will have a Video input at the rear that you can use to connect the cable from the camera directly to the back of the Head Unit. You then need to wire the reverse camera for powering it up in parallel to the reverse lamp wiring.

He can follow this very post for the installation including buying the connectors and 'et al.

EDIT: For the 2 DIN Fascia/Dash Kit, ask your friend to roam around in few accessory shops to get the best quality one. I found them cheaper than online stores where it was costing me 1800 INR & incidentally my friend was at JC road, Bangalore one evening and I asked him to enquire about the same. The shop fellow showed 2 options (900/- and 1150/-) and I settled for the latter as my friend said it was of good quality from look and feel perspective.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st August 2014 at 09:41.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome stuff Parag.

You are the king of D.I.Y stuff!! Fantastic patience and invariably very clean job.
However, just my opinion- Loved the OEM HU in comparison to the KW now installed.

Also. was there no option to place the mic in a concealed manned instead of the "in the face" black mic showing from the visor.

Something similar to a flush fit in the A pillar?

Super stuff!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
However, just my opinion- Loved the OEM HU in comparison to the KW now installed.
I have to agree to this. In fact, during the day, the Black 2 DIN doesn't match the color of the dash plastics. But unfortunately, the need of the hour was Bluetooth feature that is a part of the music system itself (Plan Steering mounted controls with OE ZDi Steering wheel parts later). At night, thanks to the 24 color illumination of the Kenwood unit, I am able to closely match it with the Dash light colors.

Quote:
Also. was there no option to place the mic in a concealed manned instead of the "in the face" black mic showing from the visor.

Something similar to a flush fit in the A pillar?
A pillar was probable location. But I felt that Visor was better in terms of distance.

On the bold part highlighted above, the roof of the Ertiga is unlike a typical hatch. Its Taller and its not too slanted such that the sun visor is right above my face. So this set-up seemed perfect.

In fact, before placing the mic, I made several calls and even sat in the co-passenger and rear seats to check how audible I was and the results were good enough even from the rear seats.

Earlier plan was also to fit the mic where the roof lamp is on the front but that required a bit of dirty tricks with the OE lamp housing and I didn't want to do that!
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 15:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Stuff man. Be it your review or your DIY. Simply Amazing. What amazes me even more is how you dare to strip the OE parts of a new vehicle with so much confidence.

Hats off to you. Very nice and informative DIY. i was just having a conversation with my colleague about the Ertiga not having a BT functionality and bang, i get your thread.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Awesome Stuff man. Be it your review or your DIY. Simply Amazing. What amazes me even more is how you dare to strip the OE parts of a new vehicle with so much confidence.

Hats off to you. Very nice and informative DIY. i was just having a conversation with my colleague about the Ertiga not having a BT functionality and bang, i get your thread.

Cheers,
Raj
Thanks Raj. I would say 50% of this confidence comes from working on a lot of silly DIYs over the past in many cars. Removing the Center console of EcoSport also was no brainer) and rest of the 50% for me getting time to look at the parts catalog.

For this DIY, I referred a few pages of the Parts catalog at the ASC to figure out how each component in the Dash is fitted and what are the possible waus to remove the Head Unit.
Old 1st August 2014, 16:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! I have done a similar DIY in my Swift with heat shrink which is a lot better than insulation tape. Mine is a Sony dual din DVD unit but now i'm thinking of going back to the OEm HU of Z for a cleaner look inside.

Have you connected the automatic dimming wire to the new HU so that the light and display dims as soon as you put the park on? If not its the orange wire that's coming from the adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth-autodimmingwire.jpg  

Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Have you connected the automatic dimming wire to the new HU so that the light and display dims as soon as you put the park on? If not its the orange wire that's coming from the adapter.
I have left it blank as you can see. I did figure out a wire from the OE Harness displaying 12v whenever I was turning the HU Switch on with a Voltmeter. I was skeptical if that was going to work.

As per the manual as well, this Orange wire says it is for Dimmer.
Name:  Dimmer.bmp
Views: 7979
Size:  123.3 KB

Will the Dimming work?

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st August 2014 at 16:25. Reason: Typo
Old 1st August 2014, 16:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You will the Dimming work?
Yes i have it connected in my sony HU and it dims the display whenever park is on.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes i have it connected in my sony HU and it dims the display whenever park is on.
Thanks Sankar. I will connect that to the harness then!
Old 1st August 2014, 16:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj. I would say 50% of this confidence comes from working on a lot of silly DIYs over the past in many cars. Removing the Center console of EcoSport also was no brainer) and rest of the 50% for me getting time to look at the parts catalog.

For this DIY, I referred a few pages of the Parts catalog at the ASC to figure out how each component in the Dash is fitted and what are the possible waus to remove the Head Unit.
I would be watching how you would order the steering parts of the Zdi and mate the Steering Controls work with the Aftermarket HU. We do have a thread for it but not way too informative. I guess you will have to get the correct PAC Module and make it work. Will be interesting if you do it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-headunit.html

Cheers,
Raj
Old 1st August 2014, 17:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be watching how you would order the steering parts of the Zdi and mate the Steering Controls work with the Aftermarket HU.
Ordering the parts has never been a challenge for me so far. Ordering the right part is what needs a lot of home work in DIYs like these.
Not only the parts catalog, I physically inspect the variant at the ASC to ascertain if I can manage the show. In fact, I am also contemplating on Outside temperature sensor and the module that will display the Temperature on the MID. A lot of planning in progress but more on that when things happen .

Here's what the Zdi Ertiga's steering comprises of (not referring to anything related to Airbags)-
Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth-20140627_140121.jpg
Quote:
We do have a thread for it but not way too informative. I guess you will have to get the correct PAC Module and make it work. Will be interesting if you do it.
Yeap! Gone through this and even looked at a UK Seller on ebay who sells these for Swift. In fact, I won't mind something like this as well that I am evaluating(For the Phone controls):
Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth-suzukiswiftsport5doorreviewsteeringwheelcarwitter.jpg
But like I said, I am in the middle of doing a lot of ground work for all this to give the DIY a cleaner result than a Jugaad approach.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st August 2014 at 17:13.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 17:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

From a parts perspective, its pretty simple as MASS sells all parts off the shelf. I have had a good experience with them. Even i had asked for the Swift Zxi Steering and was given an estimate of around 5k plus the PAC module itself costs around 3k i guess so i shelved the plan.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From a parts perspective, its pretty simple as MASS sells all parts off the shelf. I have had a good experience with them. Even i had asked for the Swift Zxi Steering and was given an estimate of around 5k plus the PAC module itself costs around 3k i guess so i shelved the plan.
Exactly, and hence I may just order for the Button only (800 bucks) and not the Entire steering. I am being told that the steering costs some 8000 INR.

The VDI's steering has a 3 spoke plate as single unit (Around the Suzuki logo) while the ZDi has this as separate parts.

But in both cases they are secured using the same clips below on the actual steering wheel and I may have to simply cut plastic neatly where I have to mount the Button module. Ooops! I am already telling it here when I want to write it up when its done
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 17:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, and hence I may just order for the Button only (800 bucks) and not the Entire steering. I am being told that the steering costs some 8000 INR.

The VDI's steering has a 3 spoke plate as single unit (Around the Suzuki logo) while the ZDi has this as separate parts.

But in both cases they are secured using the same clips below on the actual steering wheel and I may have to simply cut plastic neatly where I have to mount the Button module. Ooops! I am already telling it here when I want to write it up when its done
Yes, in your case since you already have the steering wheel, you only need those additional fitments and it should be a breeze to procure the PAC module as many ICE guys stock it nowadays. This would really give you the perfect setup.

But please do compile the pictoral guide. They are very helpfull.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:02   #30
BHPian

Re: Ertiga DIY: Installing a 2-DIN Stereo with Bluetooth

Parag, the PAC module may turn out to be costly.

There are interfaces that are locally available too now. Check this site-

http://www.dhcindia.com/steering-remote-interface/

Most of the installers in Mumbai are using this, and it works perfectly well as per their feedback.

You may want to research more on this. Here in Mumbai this is selling anywhere between 2000-2500 a piece.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks