Old 1st February 2007, 02:45   #31
BHPian

Gr8 start Sam!!...

I had my ICE done yesterday...the config follows:

1> Pio 4950 HU
2> JBL GTO 607 Comp for front with B&W
3> JBL GTO 937 coax for rear with B&W

all for 15K.

The sound is mind blowing but I seriously miss the sub.

Many many thankx to Zak, Navin & Sam.

PS: I'll be back in 2 months to trouble the audio guru's for my upgrades
i.e Amp+sub. until then RIP!!

Cheers,
ICEMAN
Old 1st February 2007, 04:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

congrats micky on your setup.and enjoy it to the fullest...

Rev
Old 1st February 2007, 12:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

pics should also be posted also.......
Old 1st February 2007, 12:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Progress on the install

Deciding if I should put the HU in the top or lower slot. Stupid HU hasn't got into Mumbai yet :(

Fitting the 6" compos in the front.

The door metal is really thick and the build quality of this door is better than my lancer. Well done, Hyundai.

The stock rear location for 6X9 - will post what happened next in an hour, going back to the car now.
Old 1st February 2007, 13:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hu in the top slot should be fine. you can keep some CDs in the bottom. Just my suggestion
Old 1st February 2007, 13:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Here comes the first problem:

I intend to put 2 amplifiers. For now a CS60.4 to drive my 4 speakers. Later, a GTO601.1 (What to do ya, I can do these things) to drive a twin subwoofer box in the rear.

The rear seat does not have a hard metal back. I cannot mount the amps against the rear seat. I do not wish to mount a 601.1 under the front seat, where it will jut out and people will stomp it all the time.

I need to make a wooden plank, cover it with carpet and mount it on the back of the back seat, to mount the amplifiers.

The wiring will begin post that. It will take a few hours to make this.
Old 1st February 2007, 14:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I need to make a wooden plank, cover it with carpet and mount it on the back of the back seat, to mount the amplifiers..
Yeah do that as a temp fix but it can really be beautiful if you make the FRP-ply-FRP sandwich I showed B&T. 10mm thick and as stiff as granite. I think it is the simplest stiif panel one can make. stiffer than 25mm MDF.
Old 1st February 2007, 15:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

OK so the tweeter is in place.

However, the magnet of the mid bass, touches the glass during roll down. Spacer put in place.

Front speaker cable is 18 gauge Scosche.
Old 1st February 2007, 16:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

The HU has arrived!!!

Door panel is back on the car, thank goodness.

Nice clean stock looking, almost. I like the fact that the tweeter is inclined inwards slightly.

Found a wiring harness for the Verna - it was a wee bit difficult as this is a new car - but the good news is that it is available and no cutting needs to be done.

Last edited by navin : 2nd February 2007 at 12:23.
Old 1st February 2007, 17:43   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Door panel is back on the car, thank goodness.

Guess what the courier man brought me

Guess I have some reading to do

Not bad looking

Nice layout and connectivity

Last edited by navin : 2nd February 2007 at 12:22.
Old 1st February 2007, 19:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

HU is in place.

Guys while fitting the HU we heard a THUNK sound. I dunno from where and how, a stone flew hard and fast onto the roof and has made a nice big ding on the roof.

Have now cut the plywood to the exact shape of the rear seat. This took a while

Have run the amplifier power wires to the battery. However please note that the access into the car for the wires is strangely on the driver side. Means we have to run the wire from the battery to the other side of the engine compartment to enter into the car.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st February 2007 at 19:42.
Old 1st February 2007, 23:51   #42
Team-BHP Support

Sam,the HU seems to be sticking out quite a bit? ant issues in getting the panasonic in?
Old 2nd February 2007, 00:12   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it just me or are some of my pictures not opening on this thread? Do let me know and I will replace them. Stupid imagepile, i should stick to imageshack.

Phase 1 is complete

I have just returned home, with the system's phase 1 complete.

Panasonic CQ-C7303N
2X JBL subconkit
1X MX RCA-RCA cable (5m) (the new variety)
1X MX St. EP-RCA (5m) also the new variety
1 set 6.5" Infinity XXX XXXX components
1 pair 6X9 Infinity XXX XXXX coaxial speaker
1X JBL CS60.4 amplifier

The report:

I am truly impressed. Nay, I am blown away. I did not expect it to sound like this.

The panasonic HU gets 5 stars from me. The features are fantastic and extremely user friendly.
It has everything you may need from a good HU. Aux in, high speed iPod connection (optional), front, rear and sub out. No BBE no bass engine no SLA, none of those annoyances.

The build quality is terrific. Though the graphics are not as polished as the Pioneers, the combination of R G and B (user selectable) makes an absolutely delicious display, that pictures will do no justice to.

The features are easy to use, even though there is a FAT book, there is no need to read it really. The user interface is super simple.The internal amplifier is supposed to be very powerful, and the user is able to switch it off.
The volume increase is gradual and with amp gains set to about 50% you need to go up to 25 to get it medium loud. (40 is top). There is no loudness control. which is fantastic.

The sound is balanced and very very sweet. Gentlemen I am very impressed.
Don't ask me price - I don't know, yet. BUT I would pay 20K+ for this HU without blinking. (if I had to pay)

I am very pleased with the new MX RCA cable. I did a one on one with my VDH hybrid and they were not too far off in my first listening.At Rs. 300+ I think they are stunning.

I do not have the high speed iPod bus cable, I am using an ep-rca into the aux input and am very pleased. With the bus cable I will be able to control the iPod with the remote of the Panasonic. Till then the ipod will rest in the rear console.

The treble is subdued and very sweet, the vocals are terrific. It sounds best on tone bypass(as expected)
I subjected the system to 3 Daves. Grohl, Grusin and Brubeck and I could not leave the car till each track was over. I am tired, sleepy and very very pleased.

Phase II will now happen in 2 or 3 weeks, where a twin Infinity Subwoofer enclosure will be hooked to a GTO601.1. The enclosure has not landed yet and I simply cannot wait.

The Verna is a terrific car to install ICE in. Every stock location is nicely cut, 6X9's fit with ease, even the screw holes match perfectly.
The Gauge of the rear parcel shelf is heavy and IMO this car needs little damping. (I haven't done any, yet)

Good night Boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sam,the HU seems to be sticking out quite a bit? ant issues in getting the panasonic in?
It appears like that in the picture. There is ample space behind. The HU is screw mounted and any further inside will not let me mount the trim plate. It is a good fit vid.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd February 2007 at 00:15.
Old 2nd February 2007, 00:14   #44
BHPian

I guess its not the HU sticking out..its because the lower slot is empty its looking that way. Looking at it I have decided to only put 2-din on my car. Earlier I was bit confused
Old 2nd February 2007, 00:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new ICE Sam, looking forward to hearing it soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Is it just me or are some of my pictures not opening on this thread? Do let me know and I will replace them. Stupid imagepile, i should stick to imageshack.
This has been giving me trouble all evening Sam, had to reload the page 5 times to see all the pictures before this. And I was thinking this was a problem at my end.

Most Viewed