Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2006, 19:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Major ICE Upgrade in my Palio (EDIT: Car upgraded.)

Folks...
I have finally started on my major ICE upgrade. My current setup can be viewed on my TBHP garage (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/member-7149.html).

My upgrade plan (posted long back) is here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/298900-post212.html

You can see I've been mostly faithful to the plan, but with some extra thrown in.

This is the stuff that is going into the car as we speak:

Front Speakers: Hertz ESK163 (6.5" 3-way components)
Rear Speakers: Hertz ECX130 (5.25" 2-way co-axials)
Speaker Amplifier: Audison SRx4 4-ch Amp (60w RMS x 4) to power the front speakers & back speakers

The Entire wiring in the car has been upgraded to Connection Audison:
- FPK600 (4G power kit): Power wires. In addition the, D-Blocks connectors and other accessories are also Connection Audison.
- FT2-600: 2ch RCA wires: 3 sets -2 sets for the new 4ch amp and 1 set for my old 2 ch amp.

In addition on the install front,
- Full damping (wherever it becomes needed): AZ Audiocomp damping sheets. (So far today the roof, the boot and the C pillars have been damped. The front doors will be damped, of course, but after the new custom panel and the speakers get installed. I can feel and listen to the difference by just knocking on the damped areas). Damping for the Palio is strictly not completely necessary, but I'm doing it now so I won't need to strip my car anymore in the future, and so there will be minimum external noise.
- Custom door pads for the 3-ways in front
- Custom pods for rear speakers
- New custom box for my old 12" Kenwood Sub
Complete revamp of positioning of amps and CD-Changer in the boot.
- Neons (In the cabin & footwells)

So right now, I'm keeping only my old HU, Sub & 2-ch amp that feeds the sub from the old setup. Speakers and 4-ch amp have been removed for sale (later).

The install is being done at Emperor, Palarivattom, Kochi by Zuheimi, THE MAN south of Bangalore.

I'll be getting the car on Saturday morning. I'll post (more) pics and let yu folks know how it sounds on saturday evening.

I'm posting some pics of the stuff that is going in, the door-panels in the "before state" and some work-in-progress pics in the next posts.

Last edited by navin : 29th December 2006 at 11:47.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

PICTURES of the items (boxed):

The ESK163s & ECX130s:

ESK163s unboxed

The Audison SRx4 amp:

FT2-600 RCAs-3 sets

FPK600 4G power wiring kit (the stuff has been removed for install -- box only :-))

AZ Audiocomp Sheets (for damping)

The (Front) Door Panels before the install:

First day of install (today), work in progress pics next...
Old 28th December 2006, 19:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

First day of install. Pics snapped today evening:
The Car, gutted for install:

Connection Audison Speaker wire...

Connection Audison Power, RCA and Speaker wire in between the work...

Close-up of the same

Last edited by hydrashok : 28th December 2006 at 19:56.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the door panel being made by Zuheimi:

Old 28th December 2006, 19:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Door panels nearly done...:

After this, I had to leave back for office. I tore myself away. You know folks, Zuheimi made the door panel (till this stage) in 1 and a half hours flat. He measured, cut, pasted, cut & tucked, cut again... He works so fast and with such efficient movements, it really makes you stand and watch in wonder. I feel bad I didn't shoot a video of him at work.

More pics tomorrow. Zuheimi will probably be working through the night and will get the install work done by evening tomorrow. He'll start on tuning tomorrow night.

Sorry about crappy quality of pics. They were taken with my phone.

Last edited by hydrashok : 28th December 2006 at 19:57.
Old 28th December 2006, 21:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hydra awesome job even more awesome pics. When you coming to bangalore dude. Once its done plan a trip to bangalore, your drive will be much more sweeter.
Old 28th December 2006, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

looks good.... i wonder how it will sound ....why arent u changing your sub also budget ??

Rev
Old 28th December 2006, 23:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, vid6639. The new ICE definitely does tempt me to go on a looong drive :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
why arent u changing your sub also budget ??
Yep, budget. This was supposed to be just a change of front speakers. That's how it began. Then it became front+rear speakers. Then I added the amp (and doubled the budget). Then this and that started getting added, and now I'm on a full blown upgrade. I didn't even plan on going whole hog on wires & damping immediately, but one thing led to another...

I did consider getting 2 Hertz ES250s (10" subs) in a partitioned box and getting my old Blau GT475 (the 4ch amp I was using previously for the speakers) to drive them. Then I would have been able to change the sub and the (current) sub amp. But, I can't lose most of the boot, and the Blau would drive only about 160w RMS to each sub. And I'm holding out for an Audison SRx 2S and an IDMax sub for later. Will change the sub and amp then. (God knows when).

(This sub is the oldest thing I have in my car. It has withstood 3 years and two major upgrades.)

Last edited by hydrashok : 28th December 2006 at 23:04.
Old 28th December 2006, 23:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hydra how about prices. can you mention that or later once it's done. How much did the AZ audiocomp damping come for? Is that cheaper or the Wurth or dynamat not extreme?
Old 28th December 2006, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'll list prices once the whole thing is done and I've paid them :-)

I'm not really sure, but I think AZ audiocomp sheets are a little pricier than WURTH, but less costlier than Dynamat, and of course Dynamat Extreme. (I'm not sure of WURTH prices, you see).

This stuff really does the job. Like I mentioned before, just rapping on the outside C Pillar and the Roof lets me know that area is damped solid. The sounds rings back like another layer of metal has been added inside. Really! I'm not joking. The doors will be damped just before the new panels go in.

I'm actually going crazy calculating & recalculating this setup in my mind. Paying them will actually be a relief :-)
Old 28th December 2006, 23:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Oki sure no issues. You have any pics of the damping going on? this looks so exciting. I'm excited just looking at the pics. I cant imagine your excitement.
Old 28th December 2006, 23:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yep. You bet I can't think straight now. Been this way since I gave the car for install yesterday night. Didn't sleep properly yesterday. I was very concerned about how the door panels would be. I was ok once I saw them being done today.

A couple of wiring upgrades actually happened over the phone today. I had to try convincing myself real hard not to get those 2 ES250s. Now that the money has run out, I can't help it anyway :-)

No pics of damping, sorry. Will get them tomorrow when they do the doors. They would have done them today, but some kind of anti-rust coating I'd got done in the insides of the doors (you can see the darkish paint-like coating in the pic) is causing problem with the sheets sticking properly. Zuheimi has some workaround (involving a heat gun), but I guess he'll have to do it himself, and that couldn't be done today.

Last edited by hydrashok : 28th December 2006 at 23:31.
Old 28th December 2006, 23:40   #13
BHPian

Nice pics Hydra. I wish if the custom door panels could be wrapped / finished in foam backed art leather or something, would have looked better.

Last edited by Autophile : 28th December 2006 at 23:50.
Old 28th December 2006, 23:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking the same thing autophile. To have the door pads in art leather with some foam to give that OE look.
I didnt mention it as i thought it will be difficult to fabricate with foam and art leather.
This is the simplest way i guess.
Old 28th December 2006, 23:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Nice pics Hydra. I wish if the custom door panels could be wrapped / finished in foam backed art leather or something, would have looked better.
Yep I know, JB & vid6639. They do look a bit rough. But like vid6639 said, that would have taken more time and effort (and non-existent cash). But I am planning to do-up the seats in another 8-10 months or so, and then this will also get done in matching art/leather.

I waited for 2 weeks after the dealer got the speakers delivered for the install. I got tired of waiting :-) I'd have needed to wait another week with the car out of action for 3-4 days for the door-panels to get done. And the longer this project doesn't get completed, the greater the danger that I will go deeper into debt with further additions.

Last edited by hydrashok : 28th December 2006 at 23:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks