Team-BHP - The Android Head-Unit buying guide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   The Android Head-Unit buying guide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/210960-android-head-unit-buying-guide.html)

Why an Android HU?
A lot of car owners are now considering an Android Head Unit for their cars, mainly due to the features that an Android OS brings along with it and more importantly the pricing is very attractive.

+Price
+Perfect Fit and Finish (for car specific models)
+Choice of configuration
+Huge display size options for some cars
+Feather(Capactive) Touch
+Unmatched Features
↪CANBUS
↪WiFi
↪4G/LTE Connectivity (Optional)
↪Android Auto and Apple Carplay support (Optional)
↪A-GPS Navigation
↪OBD diagnostics(Optional)
↪Tyre Pressure Monitoring System(Optional)
↪USB Dashcam support(Optional)
↪DAB+ support (for applicable countries,Optional)
↪Steering Controls support
↪Support for manufacturer's parking camera and sensors.
and the list goes on...

-Reliability
-Generally, poor out of the box audio output
-No known brands
-Generally, poor FM reception
-Cheap and low spec HUs' are known to lag and completely hang.
-Cheap HUs' also have very poor displays, with pathetic brightness and contrast levels.

Where to buy an Android HU?
Almost all Android HU are manufactured in China. Some brands in India re-brand these head units and sell it with a limited 6 months to 12 months warranty. So we have two choices, either to buy locally or to import directly from China.

Buying locally:
+Quickest and easiest way to get an Android HU in India.
+Generally, comes with at least a repair warranty.
+No customs duties

-Choices are very limited when it comes to specifications.
-For some cars, only generic head units are available.
-Pricey when compared to similar models in available in China, but with duties in mind, it more or less comes to the same amount.

If you have a popular car, chances are you might get a decent HU locally. Though there are many brands like MyTVS, Woodman etc., I would personally recommend HyperSonic. Not that they have excellent quality products or anything, just that they have a good range of products, and support wise, they are a bit better than the other brands. A lot of shops sell HyperSonic HUs' for a premium, so I recommend you directly contact Prince from HyperSonic, his contact number is +919667052595. They respond on WhatsApp too. The prices they quote can be negotiated by a few thousands and if you are not from Delhi-NCR region, they charge an additional 9%, in the name of tax. (Note: Not Sponsored. Just sharing from my personal experience)

Importing from China:
+Price
+Number of choices
+Availability of car specific HUs.

-No warranty. Though they mention 6 months or 12 months warranty, it is just not feasible as you have to ship the unit back and wait for another unit, for which again, we would have to pay duties.
-Shipping time
-Customs Duty

When importing from China, it is very important to choose the right product. All the products look exactly the same, but the specifications and the quality of the product varies a lot. It is very important to know what you are buying. Recommended sites to purchase from: AliExpress, Banggood, etc.

Points to consider while choosing an Android HU

Display - Size and Type

Type of display:
Size of the display:

The Internals

The Processor

Internal Memory (ROM)
Random Access Memory (RAM)DSP
Miscellaneous Points

Recommended Accessories

FM Signal Booster
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System:

Android Auto/Apple CarPlay dongle:

Bluetooth OBD Reader

USB Dashcam

Points to note

This is very helpful. Which HU have you installed, and in which car? Pictures would help!:)

Interesting thread. I have been thinking of changing the OEM head unit of my S Cross to an android head unit. In my extensive of watching YouTube, the maximum amount of reviews are for the Hypersonic head unit that you have mentioned. I am curious to know, since most of them come with many band equalisers, how is the sound quality compared to the Pioneers/Kenwood head units?
If you installed the same, please share pictures and your experiences.

Always wanted an android HU for my car but the lack of quality Android HU availability in India and lack of installation knowledge among installers made me to move to a Pioneer one...

hopefully we start seeing better/quality Android HUs in India soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by suneet_ag (Post 4618534)
This is very helpful. Which HU have you installed, and in which car? Pictures would help!:)

I have installed a 4GB RAM/32GM ROM LCD IPS HU with DSP, which I imported from China in my Renault Captur. Will update my ownership thread with a post about the HU with all relevant details, very soon. Thank You.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman (Post 4618731)
Interesting thread. I have been thinking of changing the OEM head unit of my S Cross to an android head unit. In my extensive of watching YouTube, the maximum amount of reviews are for the Hypersonic head unit that you have mentioned. I am curious to know, since most of them come with many band equalisers, how is the sound quality compared to the Pioneers/Kenwood head units?
If you installed the same, please share pictures and your experiences.

I imported my unit from China, and if you can, I would recommend you too to import from China as you get better quality products than Hypersonic there. Few of my friends have Hypersonic installed in their cars, the audio output is just okay, definitely not comparable to the Pioneers/Kenwoods'. If you get an unit with the DSP chip, it is almost as good as the Pioneers. I am not sure, but have not yet come across a Hypersonic HU with the DSP chip yet.

The problem is, as far as I know, without opening up the casing of the HU, there is no sure way of checking wether the DSP chip is present or not. Link to the DSP chip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanasu (Post 4618834)
Always wanted an android HU for my car but the lack of quality Android HU availability in India and lack of installation knowledge among installers made me to move to a Pioneer one...

hopefully we start seeing better/quality Android HUs in India soon

I agree the quality of Android HUs' sold here locally are just so-so, but about installation, there should be no issues at all when you have it professionally installed. In fact, BHPian graaja had installed his HU by himself. Link to his wonderful thread.

P.S: I am keenly following your thread. I really hope you are able to sort things out soon. Thank You.

Interesting thread, subscribing!

What HUs would you recommend for older & out of production cars, like the Zen Estilo & Aria? They will need some sort of dashboard frame isn't it?

Before and after pics of the HU upgrade in my Honda City. The android HU is from a company called Seicane and I bought it directly from aliexpress. The best part is that the wiring was a direct plug-n-play and the steering controls work like a factory unit itself. Also, the screen dims itself when the headlights are turned on.

Dont want to be a contrarian, but I will go ahead and be one anyway because of my experiences. My suggestion would be stick with locally available Sony or Pioneer units (the cheapest ones) which support CarPlay or Android. All the major needs would be addressed by these two software layers and believe me, they are more than enough. In fact, the features have become distractions by themselves for a sterile cockpit (carpit?).

Out of curiosity, does having an android HU make a big difference?

My head unit has bluetooth and display for the reverse camera. More than sufficient for my songs. For navigation my phone has a phone stand whose location I change with respect to sunlight and night time driving

With regard to upgrading the speakers and other related components, does an android HU make any difference or is more of a luxury?

No offence to android HU Owners, Im trying to understand any hidden benefits that I have overlooked

I have installed Sony XAV100,
fits my Nissan Terrano well.

Has all the essential functions like Google maps, calls, external mic, music apps, etc.
(Do note, that I need to plug in my smartphone for everything to work)

Devices with triple the functionalities and no plug-in requirements with half the price were available on Aliexpress, but In the end, you won't be using those unnecessary gimmicks, but just want a stable & Solid device.

Sony and others (pioneer, jbl...) does just that.

How can I forget the physical button and dials, the most important part of the car head unit, in my opinion. Touch screens are big distractions & difficult to operate while on the move, not advisable.

P.S. I would have loved if it came with obd2 connector reader.
right now, it is synced to my smartphone only via torque pro app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4619644)

My head unit has bluetooth and display for the reverse camera. More than sufficient for my songs. For navigation my phone has a phone stand whose location I change with respect to sunlight and night time driving

With regard to upgrading the speakers and other related components, does an android HU make any difference or is more of a luxury?

No offence to android HU Owners, Im trying to understand any hidden benefits that I have overlooked

I will list out 2 benefits that I got compared to regular audio systems on my other cars:

1. These are available to be custom fit to your specific car. Hence look more like a factory fit rather than an after market fitment. The steering mounted controls work as it would in the factory setup. The physical buttons light up when the headlights are switched on. Best of all, no cutting of wires. The wiring harness is a direct fit to the factory setup.

2. OBD2. The head unit can be paired with an OBD2 adapter. This can be used with the Torque pro app.

PS: My first comments are for custom audio systems that are available for a specific car and not for the generic 2 din head units.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedmunster (Post 4619842)
I will list out 2 benefits that I got compared to regular audio systems on my other cars:

Cheers

I will add a few more

1. You can add apps for music streaming, auto maintenance and many other stuff

2. You can add camera setups for 1 or w cam - dash cam or 360Degrees viewing camera setups (Obviously addon's ) without having to have separate screens

3. You can add a TPMS system that displays directly on the Audio head unit screen

4. You can add a steering controls if your car does not come with it by default

A few months back I was desperate for an android head unit and couldn't find a single din model that would fit my 2000 Qualis. I luckily found a pioneer unit that would use the phone as display and Audio capabilities. This gave all the benefits of a smart ICE device at a budget cost. This is the first picture below while the actual one I wanted (second pic) was pretty expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdbsd (Post 4619587)
Dont want to be a contrarian, but I will go ahead and be one anyway because of my experiences. My suggestion would be stick with locally available Sony or Pioneer units (the cheapest ones) which support CarPlay or Android. All the major needs would be addressed by these two software layers and believe me, they are more than enough. In fact, the features have become distractions by themselves for a sterile cockpit (carpit?).

I agree, but none of the Sony/Pioneer units support CANBUS decoding. A lot of cars have the vehicle information displayed in the HU and as of now only an Android HU can replace these units. Do read my recent post on my thread about my experience with an Android HU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashwat B (Post 4619644)

It is just a feature rich HU with a lot of bells and whistles. No difference when it comes to upgrading speakers and other components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold (Post 4619762)
I have installed Sony XAV100,
fits my Nissan Terrano well.

Has all the essential functions like Google maps, calls, external mic, music apps, etc.
(Do note, that I need to plug in my smartphone for everything to work)

Devices with triple the functionalities and no plug-in requirements with half the price were available on Aliexpress, but In the end, you won't be using those unnecessary gimmicks, but just want a stable & Solid device.

Sony and others (pioneer, jbl...) does just that.

How can I forget the physical button and dials, the most important part of the car head unit, in my opinion. Touch screens are big distractions & difficult to operate while on the move, not advisable.

P.S. I would have loved if it came with obd2 connector reader.
right now, it is synced to my smartphone only via torque pro app.

Wether you like it or not, all modern cars are now coming with touch screen HUs', that too massive ones. Though I love the tactile feel of physical buttons and dials, I feel they would become a thing of the past very soon. Also, there are a lot of Android HUs' with physical buttons and dials if that is very important to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4619851)
A few months back I was desperate for an android head unit and couldn't find a single din model that would fit my 2000 Qualis. I luckily found a pioneer unit that would use the phone as display and Audio capabilities. This gave all the benefits of a smart ICE device at a budget cost. This is the first picture below while the actual one I wanted (second pic) was pretty expensive.

There are a lot of single din Android HUs. Refer link
But, I have no clue why they make these units look like they are from the 90's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadrasTurbo (Post 4618513)
Why an Android HU?
A lot of car owners are now considering an Android Head Unit for their cars, mainly due to the features that an Android OS brings along with it and more importantly the pricing is very attractive.

Great Thread! I just posted my experience of upgrading my Honda City to a 10.1 inch 4G LTE Support Android based Unit called Foxfire.
Report Published here >