Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Got one for my Crysta the 16GB variant one. Good so far, dont know how long it will last but for 12K its a steal.
Got one for Isuzu MUX from aliexpress for only 7k. Same UI, same 16GB rom, 1Gb ram. Installed it myself. Much better than OEM. Cant perceive any loss in audio quality (not that I'm an audiophile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hi.. where did you pick this up from? And does it support screen mirroring?
You would get it at almost all car accessory shops. Pricing is all over the place (7k - 30k), with no perceivable difference in software or hardware quality. Some even sell fake 32gb, 2/4gb versions which are actually 16gb, 1gb versions made to show 32gb, 2/4gb in software. All run android 6.0 APIs but show android version 8.0-go or 9.0 in software. Typical Chinese knock offs but if you are careful and don't overspend for what they are, then its decent HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

I bought one for my Civic. I want to install it myself. Is it an easy process which I can explore or it can only be installed by a professional. I have installed few Head Units in past. So was wondering if I can do this one too.
If you have installed few HUs, then it should be no different. Only exception would be reverse camera, which is specific to each make and model. If civic supports reverse signal at HU, its easy or else you may need to tap in OEM wires.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd March 2020 at 12:44. Reason: Typo corrected
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi.. where did you pick this up from? And does it support screen mirroring?
I got this installed at Car Decor Mangalore. HU comes with 1 year warranty. I have not checked screen mirror as pretty much all needed apps are available to download in HU.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 12:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Some even sell fake 32gb, 2/4gb versions which are actually 16gb, 1gb versions made to show 32gb, 2/4gb in software. All run android 6.0 APIs but show android version 8.0-go or 9.0 in software. Typical chinese knock offs but if you are careful and don't overspend for what they are, then its decent HU.

One should carry cpu-z, antutu APKs in a pen drive while buying such head unit. To download it from play store, we need to to log-in to google.

I called up a few places yesterday and came to know that in Delhi wholesale markets, prices are being quoted 7.5k for 2GB/16GB and 8.5k for 2GB/32GB 9" (or 9.5") car specific models models if one buys single unit in retail. Rs.400-500 for rear camera. They can provide installation person who is going to charge Rs.400 (without rear camera) or Rs.600-700 (with rear camera) for installation.

Head unit includes car specific coupler cable, GPS module, 2 USB wires, reverse camera connector and some other wires/connectors (for amplifier, etc.).

And it is with one year (seller's) warranty.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
does it support screen mirroring?
Screen-mirroring as well as apple carplay and android auto are supported using some unknown chinese apps. Tried them just to check the functionality but the apps were crudely made, and I didnt like the idea of installing these apps on my phone.

Anyways, the system itself is full android and can run all apps natively. So did not see the need for mirroring myself. I bought a jiofi hotspot that stays in the car at all times for native google maps, spotify, pandora etc. I connect my phone through bluetooth only for phone calls. My music collection is on a 64gb pen drive connected to the HU.

Last edited by Comrade : 3rd March 2020 at 13:13.
Old 3rd March 2020, 14:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have not checked screen mirror as pretty much all needed apps are available to download in HU.
The only reason I need it is mainly coz I can continue watching something that I have downloaded already on my phone..

If you are able to check, please let me know if it works (especially on Android 10)

Thanks!
Vikram

Last edited by vikramv4u : 3rd March 2020 at 14:15.
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:09   #51
BHPian

Vikram, the app that comes default with these HUs is called "tima phonelink". Here is a demo from an Indian vendor. The app has to be installed on the phone too. To my knowledge, It will only work with this third party app and will not work using "original" mirrorlink protocol or phone's native DLNA protocol etc. Those standard protocols are not supported by these Chinese software.

I previously tried this with my remi k20 pro running android 10, and it works. I dont think phone's android version matters in this case because its using a third party app running on both phone and HU.

Another video showing end-to-end

Last edited by Comrade : 3rd March 2020 at 15:17.
Old 28th March 2020, 13:14   #52

Due to Lock down, my Honda City has not been in use for the past 5-6 days. The Android Head Unit completely drains off the Car battery as it possibly keeps running in the back ground until the battery is completely drained off. Sunny also confirmed that there is no option to shut down the Head Unit. Any tips and tricks to save on battery power in such times when the car is not in use for a prolonged period of time, apart from disconnecting the battery physically ? With the original stock head unit, the battery would never get drained even if the car was not started for about 2-3 months.
sathwic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 13:32   #53

Quote:
The only reason I need it is mainly coz I can continue watching something that I have downloaded already on my phone..

If you are able to check, please let me know if it works (especially on Android 10)

Thanks!
Vikram
Also, I was trying to install Microsoft Teams along with Microsoft Intune Company portal app so that I could attend my meetings "on the go". Unfortunately, some of these apps like Microsoft company portal do not work on the Head Unit as it recognizes the head unit as a "Rooted Android Device". That's where I would say, a good phone mirroring solution would come in handy so that you can see the meetings details on screen. I am struggling with Tima app as it only works sometimes ( 1 out of 10 times).
sathwic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 13:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathwic View Post
Due to Lock down, my Honda City has not been in use for the past 5-6 days. The Android Head Unit completely drains off the Car battery as it possibly keeps running in the back ground until the battery is completely drained off. Sunny also confirmed that there is no option to shut down the Head Unit.
I have not had this experience so far - I have not started the car for last 5-6 days and the Battery is still doing fine. Could you share more details on how long it took for the battery to be drained out ?

Quote:
Also, I was trying to install Microsoft Teams along with Microsoft Intune Company portal app so that I could attend my meetings "on the go". Unfortunately, some of these apps like Microsoft company portal do not work on the Head Unit as it recognizes the head unit as a "Rooted Android Device"
This is true - I faced the same issue with Teams. However Skype for Business worked fine the last time I tried as it did not ask for the Intune authorization.
Old 28th March 2020, 14:06   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have not had this experience so far - I have not started the car for last 5-6 days and the Battery is still doing fine. Could you share more details on how long it took for the battery to be drained out ?

This is true - I faced the same issue with Teams. However Skype for Business worked fine the last time I tried as it did not ask for the Intune authorization.
That's good to know. Unfortunately all my meetings are 100% on teams and we have moved away from Skype internally ( to enable dog-fooding for Teams ).
Old 28th March 2020, 14:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Last week on Saturday (21st Mar), I faced the same problem when I tried starting my car after a week. Had to eventually push start my Car. I drove around my apartment for 10 - 15 mins and parked my car as it seemed like the battery had recovered. I faced the same problem today and had to push start my car, but this time, I kept the engine running for about 30-40 mins to revive the battery. I am also suspecting that my battery is not getting fully charged due to insufficient runs these days. Will try starting my car after a day or two and keep a close tab to see if the problem persists.

Update: I received a replacement head unit from Sunny after I highlighted some of my previous issues (mentioned in my earlier posts). He mentioned that they had disabled/ removed the DSP in the replacement unit which could potentially be the reason for some of the issues I have been facing. However, I will only be able to get it replaced and test it out post the lock down period.
Old 28th March 2020, 14:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week on Saturday (21st Mar), I faced the same problem when I tried starting my car after a week. Had to eventually push start my Car. I drove around my apartment for 10 - 15 mins and parked my car as it seemed like the battery had recovered. I faced the same problem today and had to push start my car, but this time, I kept the engine running for about 30-40 mins to revive the battery. I am also suspecting that my battery is not getting fully charged due to insufficient runs these days. Will try starting my car after a day or two and keep a close tab to see if the problem persists.
This might be an issue with the specific unit and leakage of power and may not be happening in my case since whenever I turn on the ignition these days as the gaps are more, the Head Unit takes its sweet time and boots up. This gives me the hint that it was fully shutdown.

Like you have said it could be an issue with your battery as well.
Old 28th March 2020, 22:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
That's where I would say, a good phone mirroring solution would come in handy so that you can see the meetings details on screen. I am struggling with Tima app as it only works sometimes ( 1 out of 10 times).
Try Headunit Reloaded so that Android Auto works on the HU. This is the trial version...https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...trial&hl=en_IN. If this works well for you, you can buy the full version.

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 28th March 2020 at 22:10.
Old 30th March 2020, 08:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Further to my written review, I also took the time during the lockdown to create a video review of the same Foxfire Head Unit:

vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:06   #60

Thank you senior- BHPian Vsrivatsa for the beautifully detailed video. Looks like Foxfire has changed the home screen/ car launcher and a few other things since you bought it or perhaps you have explicitly changed those settings. For example I do not have google assistant and the microphone on my home screen.

On another note, my battery wasn't getting charged enough because of the lock down and hence was getting drained off. After driving around for about 40 mins , the charge is now holding up quite well for the past 7 days or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks