Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 08:47   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
BOY O BOY,
right from the HU to all speakers in Safari is "CRAP",
I'd agree with you if you knew what budget Tata Motors has for a pair of components in the front? It is a meagre amount for which you won't get good co-axials let alone components.

Quote:
I've donated my existing speaker to my other car mechanic and used MBQuart Components (all four and two tweeters) with MBQuart Sub woofer in my EX.(GERMAN MAN IT'LL LAST A LIFE TIME! LIKE MY BUG)
You mean you have 2-pairs of components which should ideally contain a pair of mids and a pair of tweeters each. You've installed four mids in each door and a pair of tweeters up front? That means your rear seat passengers only hear mids? I have heard a setup having MB Quart components and they sounded pathetic to me even though the cost was Rs. 65,000/- for a pair. The cost was not justified for my ears and I do not think a brand manufactured in China would have lesser life. May be it will live more than the MB Quart too.

Its not anymore about being German, Korean, Chinese, Italian, American, etc. for most of the brands that float in the market today.

The Beetle I agree is a class apart but not the MB Quart by a mile.
Old 8th November 2007, 22:00   #47
BHPian

gurus
Pls Advice On My New Ex 4x2 .. Need An Ice System With A Budget Constraint...
Old 8th November 2007, 22:57   #48
BHPian

the "new ex" sounds very interesting. unintended wordplay i guess. don't worry about budgets. whatever it is, you'll get enlightened and change it!!
so what's it like to begin with???
Old 9th November 2007, 05:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankure View Post
gurus
Pls Advice On My New Ex 4x2 .. Need An Ice System With A Budget Constraint...
Instead of plunging headlong into a "change" state since almost everyone says "stock ICE is always s**t", perhaps it would be better if you listen to the stock ICE in your EX for sometime to decide what is it that you are missing. Maybe it will save you a lot of hard earned money - apart from knowing what you have and what needs to be changed.
Old 10th November 2007, 00:39   #50
BHPian

Namasakara to Gurus,

I have a LX 3.0, which has a Blaupunkt HU and 4 speakers god knows which make. Got them fitted by the Dealer, while I bought the vehicle 4 months back.

Now I would like to add an AMP / SUB / Tweeter etc at a budget of 15K. Yup just need a basic setup that sounds good.
If I need to shell out more than what I mentioned, then would prefer to do it in phases.

Please suggest what I need to do.
Old 10th November 2007, 04:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithvpl View Post
Namasakara to Gurus,
I have a LX 3.0, which has a Blaupunkt HU and 4 speakers god knows which make. Got them fitted by the Dealer, while I bought the vehicle 4 months back.
Now I would like to add an AMP / SUB / Tweeter etc at a budget of 15K. Yup just need a basic setup that sounds good.
If I need to shell out more than what I mentioned, then would prefer to do it in phases.
Please suggest what I need to do.
0. WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

1. Which dealer did you get the ICE from originally?

2. Are you sure he didn't tell you which make? You could actually find out by opening one of them, e.g. in the rear door. Pry open the plastic grill (there is one catch at each of the vertices of the trangle) with a flat screw-driver, remove the screws and bring the speaker out carefully. Don't worry, that's not difficult. Look at the sticker on the magnet and tell us which make and model. Based on what you have, the gurus (not me, I am an itinerant mendicant) will be able to suggest what to add or not.

3. If Blaupunkt, you may need to perhaps change only the front speakers to components. 2-way components, such as Blaupunkt (THc and ODc series), JBL (CS or GTO series), Infinity 5021c, Illusion, Hertz etc., consist of a mid-range (I think you need 5-1/4") and a tweeter

4. If the rear speakers were a chalu local make, they could be changed to decent 2-way round coaxials. It would preferable to put coaxials from the same make & family as the front ones

5. Depending on your budget, you could put in a 4-channel amp (needs substantial change in wiring when you do) from Pioneer (grey market), Blau (GTA), JBL (CS or GT5) or Alpine (even Sony at a pinch, though they are not in the same league)

6. If you really need a sub-woofer, there are good finished boxes from Blaupunkt, JBL, etc. If you like BOOOOMMMM, you could go in for a tube.

7. Depending on your budget, you will also need to decide whether you put the fronts on the amp and sub on the other 2 channels bridged, or put a separate mono amp to drive the sub (all the door speakers could be driven by the 4-channel amp)

Lot of thinking and decision making to do - you will need to work with the gurus. Cheers, Happy Diwali and all the best.
Old 10th November 2007, 06:16   #52
BHPian

which Components should i go for infront of my safari and should i opt the same for rear along with a base tube and a 4 channel amp ?
or sum better option can be there.
Old 11th November 2007, 01:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which Components should i go for infront of my safari and should i opt the same for rear along with a base tube and a 4 channel amp ? or sum better option can be there.
IMHO you should first add the amp and sub, before changing the door speakers. The combinations could be a Blaupunkt tube with a Blaupunkt amplifier (10-12K) or a JBL tube with a JBL amplifier (12-15K).

Drive the front speakers (EX already has components in front) by 1 pair of channels of the amp, and the sub with the balance 2 channels bridged. This will not wake up the neighborhood, but wouldn't be very quiet either. If waking up the neighbors is your desire, the solution is to drive the sub tube with a mono amplifier - of course that will cost about 6-10K more.
Old 11th November 2007, 20:12   #54
BHPian

Thx Derlite.. I have 2 sony 222 amp`s lying idle with me with a 304 sub from pioneer any .. can that be used instead of buying a new amp..
Old 12th November 2007, 13:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thx Derlite.. I have 2 sony 222 amp`s lying idle with me with a 304 sub from pioneer any .. can that be used instead of buying a new amp..
Why not! They are not the best amps, but don't worry about that - something is better than nothing. Use one to drive the front speakers.

Bridge the other and drive the Pio sub. Do you already have a box or tube for the Pio 304?? A new box should cost you less than 1K, a tube even less. LBM-bhai (our resident librarian and designer) should be able to tell us what size based on Pio 304 specs.

Enjoy.

Last edited by DerAlte : 12th November 2007 at 13:11.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:19   #56
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte for the response. I sure did have a great Diwali. Hope you had a great one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
0. WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?
1. Which dealer did you get the ICE from originally?

2. Are you sure he didn't tell you which make? You could actually find out by opening one of them, e.g. in the rear door. Pry open the plastic grill (there is one catch at each of the vertices of the trangle) with a flat screw-driver, remove the screws and bring the speaker out carefully. Don't worry, that's not difficult. Look at the sticker on the magnet and tell us which make and model. Based on what you have, the gurus (not me, I am an itinerant mendicant) will be able to suggest what to add or not.

3. If Blaupunkt, you may need to perhaps change only the front speakers to components. 2-way components, such as Blaupunkt (THc and ODc series), JBL (CS or GTO series), Infinity 5021c, Illusion, Hertz etc., consist of a mid-range (I think you need 5-1/4") and a tweeter

4. If the rear speakers were a chalu local make, they could be changed to decent 2-way round coaxials. It would preferable to put coaxials from the same make & family as the front ones

5. Depending on your budget, you could put in a 4-channel amp (needs substantial change in wiring when you do) from Pioneer (grey market), Blau (GTA), JBL (CS or GT5) or Alpine (even Sony at a pinch, though they are not in the same league)

6. If you really need a sub-woofer, there are good finished boxes from Blaupunkt, JBL, etc. If you like BOOOOMMMM, you could go in for a tube.

7. Depending on your budget, you will also need to decide whether you put the fronts on the amp and sub on the other 2 channels bridged, or put a separate mono amp to drive the sub (all the door speakers could be driven by the 4-channel amp)

Lot of thinking and decision making to do - you will need to work with the gurus. Cheers, Happy Diwali and all the best.

0> My Budget is 15k - 25K
1> Got it done by Concorde Motors.
2,3,4,5> So I understand I need to verify my speakers if they are from Blau. In case they are from Blau, just need to replace the front two speakers to Component speakers from Blau and also get a 4 Channel Amp again from Blau.

Deicded to stick with Blau itself, let me know if that is not a wise decision.

Also any pointers to a good shop in Bangalore to get this done.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithvpl View Post
0> My Budget is 15k - 25K
1> Got it done by Concorde Motors.
2,3,4,5> So I understand I need to verify my speakers if they are from Blau. In case they are from Blau, just need to replace the front two speakers to Component speakers from Blau and also get a 4 Channel Amp again from Blau.
Deicded to stick with Blau itself, let me know if that is not a wise decision.
Also any pointers to a good shop in Bangalore to get this done.
If done by Concorde Motors, it is likely to be Blaupunkt speakers. But, check and make sure anyhow.

It is quite wise to stick to Blaupunkt.

The only thing you may not have got from Concorde would be a discount! For the upgrade, go to Mandovi Motors (behind BTS bus depot in Wilson Garden or on Kanakapura Road; yes, the Maruti dealers) - they are the main Blaupunkt dealers and know the job . Be sure to bargain hard for the discount. Ask them for an audition.
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:52   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I'd agree with you if you knew what budget Tata Motors has for a pair of components in the front? It is a meagre amount for which you won't get good co-axials let alone components.

You mean you have 2-pairs of components which should ideally contain a pair of mids and a pair of tweeters each. You've installed four mids in each door and a pair of tweeters up front? That means your rear seat passengers only hear mids? I have heard a setup having MB Quart components and they sounded pathetic to me even though the cost was Rs. 65,000/- for a pair. The cost was not justified for my ears and I do not think a brand manufactured in China would have lesser life. May be it will live more than the MB Quart too.

Its not anymore about being German, Korean, Chinese, Italian, American, etc. for most of the brands that float in the market today.

The Beetle I agree is a class apart but not the MB Quart by a mile.
2 comp (MB Quart)2 tweeters(MB Quart) and 12 inch sub(MB Quart) with 2 head rest screens and Sony DVD.
Boys hear them and you'll get blown away.

i am damn happy with this setup.they might cost more on your pocket, atleast they do justice to the BEAST.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

I have been told that the the current Safari 2.2 EX comes with an Alpine HU. Anybody has an idea about the model number? Does it play mp3s?
Any other link to specifications of the same?
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think JKdas said he got a 9870 with his beast, even had an ipod cable free with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Took delivery of my Tata Safari 2.2L EX Pearl White today evening.

Guess what I got as my HU? An Alpine 9870

It also came with a remote, KCE-4221 Ipod cable!

Will update about rest of stuff and pix by tomorrow eve.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CDE-9870
I have the same HU, cost 8K with B/W, and IMHO the best sounding HU south of 10k( especially if you plan to run it without an external amp) . Pity it doesnt have a volume control knob ( what looks like a knob is actually up/down buttons ) and no steering wheel remote :(

the speakers are blaupunkt OE

But then again, this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

A pic I guess thats unique for a stock Ex
makes me unsure if all safaris come with the 9870

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd July 2008 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks