Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2007, 01:42   #1
BHPian

Basic ICE for Zen Estilo - Rs. 10,000

Am looking at options for my Maruti Zen Estilo. AFAIK it has holes in each door for 6" speakers so that it what I am looking at, and not 6x9s.... I don't have a requirement for an amp & subwoofer kind of setup either. I also like my boot space and don't want to mess it up with that board thing that people put for 6x9s..

From this forum I gathered that generally people recommend JBL speakers for this budget (Rs. 10,000). Today I went to their showroom, and the guy recommended buying two pairs of GTO637s at Rs. 3750 per pair. Would you guys agree that's my best option?

The music I listen to is mainly a combination of Metal, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Electronic and a little Rap. I think I will go Sony / Pioneer / Blaupunkt for the HU. Any basic CD/MP3 player with an Aux-In really does the trick for me as mostly I would be playing from a hard-drive based mp3 player. Are there systems which play mp3 from DVD-Rs?

(btw the guy also suggested that I could go for a component system, but I don't really know very much about those - it's basically that there is a separate tweeter in this system right? which means cutting a hole in the door? does it make much of a difference in sound?)
Old 29th July 2007, 11:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
From this forum I gathered that generally people recommend JBL speakers for this budget (Rs. 10,000). Today I went to their showroom, and the guy recommended buying two pairs of GTO637s at Rs. 3750 per pair. Would you guys agree that's my best option?
Does your 10K budget include the HU?

Yes, JBL is value-for-money, and so are Blaupunkt, Alpine etc. in that price point. It is not only the brand, but the model and the deal that you get. And of course, it matters that you hear the sound yourself before you decide which one works for you.

JBL also has the cheaper CS range. Blau has GTx (low-price) and THx (mid-price). Same with the other brands.

Quote:
Are there systems which play mp3 from DVD-Rs?
JVC, Alpine, Blau, Sony, etc. have HUs that play mp3 from DVD-R. According to user experiences here, Sony seems to take a disturbing amount of time reading all the DVD directories. All of these are 10K or more (Blau is 18K app.)

Quote:
(btw the guy also suggested that I could go for a component system, but I don't really know very much about those - it's basically that there is a separate tweeter in this system right? which means cutting a hole in the door? does it make much of a difference in sound?)
Yes, components come with separate tweeter which can be mounted where they would sound best for the listener. And no, you can mount them without making a hole in the door.

You could think of components in the front - the difference in SQ is significant.
Old 29th July 2007, 20:13   #3
BHPian

My 10K budget does include a HU. I only want a basic HU - I asked about the DVD thing just for my information. Any normal CD/Mp3 player would be good as long as it has an Aux-In.

With JBL I should be able to get a discount from someone I know, so that should help me bring things within Rs. 10,000.

So what really is the advantage of component systems, and where do people usually install the tweeters? How are they installed btw if they are not cut into the door? Do I need to go with an amp also if I want component speakers?
Old 29th July 2007, 20:39   #4
BHPian

Would you say that component speakers are worth the extra cost?

Also according to this guide, the way to put the tweeters is to drill a hole into the door (scroll down to step 7). If not there, where else do people usually install them?

And do you get component speakers for both front and back or just the front?
Old 29th July 2007, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sure, if you are getting a good deal, that's the way to go (as long as it is not Sony).

Component speakers in the front should do, unless you are driven around and you sit in the back. No, amp is not compulsory, though it does help - but that can always come later if you feel you aren't getting enough out of the HU.

And yes, they ARE worth the extra cost. The reason is the tweeters can be mounted so that you are able to hear the highs clearly, instead of getting lost near the floor.

JBL GTO607 may be a trifle steep for your budget, but then the CS2165C is good VFM. If you talk it over with your contact, you may get a good deal.

OK, that's one way of fitting the tweeters. The other way is surface mounting with double sided tape (like they mount the idol on the dash) or Super-glue.

You can mount the tweeters on the dash near the A-Pillar or on the door inside the mirror mount. Should be angled towards you, but not directly into your ears.
Old 30th July 2007, 00:55   #6
BHPian

I think I like the way they have done it. Quite elegant and unobtrusive. Do people here install tweeters like that? I forgot to ask how much the GTO607 costs... but will find out. If it's not too much and I can accommodate everything in 10K or so, sweet.

I will 9 out of 10 times drive the car myself, so I think I will plan on GTO607C or CS2165C (isn't on their website) in the front and GTO637 in the back - sounds good?

Moving to HUs - recommendations? Remember I need something simple... though I wouldn't mind having a USB option as long as it doesn't come at too much of a premium.

Oh and also how much do people charge for installation? (especially if it involves doing stuff for Tweeters).

Last edited by vebmetal : 30th July 2007 at 01:01.
Old 30th July 2007, 01:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I like the way they have done it. Quite elegant and unobtrusive. Do people here install tweeters like that? I forgot to ask how much the GTO607 costs... but will find out. If it's not too much and I can accommodate everything in 10K or so, sweet.

I will 9 out of 10 times drive the car myself, so I think I will plan on GTO607C or CS2165C (isn't on their website) in the front and GTO637 in the back - sounds good?

Moving to HUs - recommendations? Remember I need something simple... though I wouldn't mind having a USB option as long as it doesn't come at too much of a premium.

Oh and also how much do people charge for installation? (especially if it involves doing stuff for Tweeters).
The combination of 607 and 937 sounds great, I have the same combination in my Baleno. The GTO607s should cost you around 6,500/- with b&w.

The installation charges + wiring should cost you not more than 1,500/- provided you buy everything from the same person (discounts will definitely help that figure). Your 937's may need an MDF tray which would cost you about 800 - 1,000/-.

About the HU, if you look at Pioneer, the 7950 with USB costs about 9,000/- and the lower models should cost you 2-3k lesser, depending on how far you climb down the ladder.
Old 30th July 2007, 17:47   #8
BHPian

^ but I am not getting 937s!! I hate that tray thing.. totally ruins luggage space!!

The combination I am thinking of is GTO607C in the front (component) and GTO637 in the back (Multi-element).
Old 30th July 2007, 18:21   #9
k36
BHPian

If your rear seat is going to be empty most of the time, I would suggest you a front-only setup.. just to keep it in your budget. You can add rear speakers later anytime.
Old 30th July 2007, 19:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^ but I am not getting 937s!! I hate that tray thing.. totally ruins luggage space!!

The combination I am thinking of is GTO607C in the front (component) and GTO637 in the back (Multi-element).
Oh sorry, I got the model number wrong there!
Old 30th July 2007, 19:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A perfect fit.
If you're on a budget, you might even consider the CS components. A rung lower, but much cheaper.
Atleast for the rear you could buy the CS2165. You'll save a few thousand.
Old 30th July 2007, 21:11   #12
BHPian

hmm.. What you say makes a lot of sense.. but I wonder what GT in the front and CS in the back would do the overall sound. I definitely wouldn't mind saving a few thousand of course!!

I wish there was some place I could demo all these permutations!

And is it reasonable for me to expect a basic HU (CD/MP3 player with Aux-In in the front) within Rs. 4,000 - 5,000 ?
Old 30th July 2007, 21:33   #13
BHPian

i just got my car stereo fitted today for my swift.
head unit - pioneer 5950 (same output as 6950, 1k cheaper because it has a smaller display)
speakers - front cs2165
rear - 6x9 937
installation - 1600 (including wooden plank)
total was 11600 (which means the system was for 10000 exact)
Old 31st July 2007, 00:26   #14
BHPian

^ that's cool! Can you give the breakup for the speakers and the HU? Also was this with Bill and Warranty?
Old 31st July 2007, 09:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

@vebmetal : Can you please let me now the location of the JBL showroom in Delhi?

Most Viewed