Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 10:51   #46
BHPian

i think gunman or JB will confirm the way HERTZ calculates sensitivity.

if its measured the way B&T has explained, then i think its better to calculate it yourself from the T/S specs.

cheers
clip
Old 29th August 2007, 11:23   #47
BHPian

ok lbm,i agreed that my theory is 100% wrong.in other words you mean to say that there is absolutely no such theory and no manufacturer has ever taken a 8 ohm driver with a 2.83v signal and measure it at a sistance of 1 meter.!!!!!!
in other words this is GREATEST MYTH in audio world and such nuisance practise has never been done till date by anyone.
Old 29th August 2007, 11:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

They are two different approaches by different companies. Nothing wrong with that. Most companies feed the standard 2.83 V to speakers while measuring, irrespective of the impedance of the driver being plotted. There is usually a footnote which indicates the test conditions for the measured sensitivity. This same sensitivity is sometimes published without mentioning the conditions. If I'm not mistaken, even Illusion Audio sensitivities are mentioned at 2.83 V, and not 1 watt @ 4ohms.

Although different sensitivities do make an audible difference, unless you really cannot afford additional amplification, I dont think we should all be very worried about sensitivity unless you have a Stroker Pro 12 which is 82dB, I think. lol. Or I remember an old speaker with a 1 ohm nominal impedance, that had a sensitivity in the 70s. Cant remember the name, started with 'A'. Navin should recall.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 29th August 2007 at 11:37.
Old 29th August 2007, 11:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
ok lbm,i agreed that my theory is 100% wrong.in other words you mean to say that there is absolutely no such theory and no manufacturer has ever taken a 8 ohm driver with a 2.83v signal and measure it at a sistance of 1 meter.!!!!!!
in other words this is GREATEST MYTH in audio world and such nuisance practise has never been done till date by anyone.
Hmm what I said is that the method done by the manufacture is right but can a end user can do it..What the end user has in hand is the specs of the sub and the formula which is correct and one can compare two different drivers and see what is the real picture.
Old 29th August 2007, 11:35   #50
BHPian

LBM,

This discussion has been done before extensively in another thread and if you remember I told you that the manufacturer measure sensitivity of a driver in a closed and controlled environment called "anechoic chamber" not by calculating from other parameters using formula.

Stop judging any drivers capability on the basis of sensitivity figures as it does not affect sound quality at all. At the end sound quality is what matters.

Last edited by Autophile : 29th August 2007 at 11:38.
Old 29th August 2007, 11:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hah! another technical battle that makes me learn the 25% of it. (no science background naa!)
Old 29th August 2007, 12:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
LBM,

This discussion has been done before extensively in another thread and if you remember I told you that the manufacturer measure sensitivity of a driver in a closed and controlled environment called "anechoic chamber" not by calculating from other parameters using formula.
It means the formula I quoted is wrong and incorrect way to compare two different drivers sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile

Stop judging any drivers capability on the basis of sensitivity figures as it does not affect sound quality at all. At the end sound quality is what matters.
When and where did I said that sensitivity will effect SQ. So stick to the topic of sensitivity.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It means the formula I quoted is wrong and incorrect way to compare two different drivers sensitivity
I never said that formula is wrong. It is generic formula and hence cannot be used to calculate sensitivity figure accurately when manufacturers are using different styles, parameters and figures to measure sensitivity of a driver.

Quote:
When and where did I said that sensitivity will effect SQ. So stick to the topic of sensitivity.
The topic is about Image Dynamics subwoofer not about sensitivity figures and ways to measure it.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
I never said that formula is wrong. It is generic formula and hence cannot be used to calculate sensitivity figure accurately when manufacturers are using different styles, parameters and figures to measure sensitivity of a driver.
So if the formula is correct then it will stand true if we have to compare two drivers.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:50   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I am really enjoying this sensitivity discussion. But please boys, let us not get sarcastic or personal. OK? OK.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
OK? OK.
Wow! Sam asks & even answers his own question himself
Old 29th August 2007, 13:14   #57
Team-BHP Support

I guess it is more than just the subwoofers that are sensitive! :-)
Old 29th August 2007, 13:30   #58
BANNED

I like things when they get sensitive.

Guys! This was very nicely discussed earlier as far as I remember. But these discussions are always good because it will benefit people like us. And that is what makes this forum so good place to be.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if the formula is correct then it will stand true if we have to compare two drivers.
Bhai mere, from a layman point of view....authophile says that the formula is correct, difference lies is the controlled environment.

just like ford fiesta gives 32kmpl in some other conditions (controlled environment) and while daily use it doesnt return more than 13-14 kmpl. FE calculation formula remains similar, difference is in the environments that account for the difference.
Old 29th August 2007, 14:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Bhai mere, from a layman point of view....authophile says that the formula is correct, difference lies is the controlled environment.
Arre mere Katti Bhai! LBM is not talking about environment at all. It is assumed that all measurements are taken in anechoic chamber only. He is just debating that some apply higher wattage while measurement, or lower distance (less practical).

Most Viewed