Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2008, 21:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Get the DVD of a movie (with songs!) and an audio CD (not MP3) of the songs of the same movie. If you compare the same song, perhaps you will be able to figure out what specifically dissatisfies you: singing drowned out by instruments? bass too loud?
Good suggestion sir, but I have a hunch that he means to say that the sound is not good when comparing 'normal movie playback' vs 'pure audio'. A bit like the HTIB effect?

A compact home theater system with a lot of deficiencies in sound could appear to be doing a good job during normal movie playback (one without songs :P, hollywood style dishoom-dishoom), but would fall flat on its face with the most untesting audio tracks. reasons for this are far too well known to us.

Yet, as you suggest, I think that tuning the setup is definitely something he should look at.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
JBL components cost roughly between 4-6k.
JBL GT5 and GTO components cost that much. Power and GTi are much higher priced.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:24   #78
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mons_truck View Post
I have had a totally different experience with Auto Planet, Koramangala.

I have got both ICE and Home Theater (off topic) setup done by Palanikumar of Auto Planet, and he seems to have very good knowledge of Audio Setup.

They were proffessional in advising the range of products and I went with Pioneer HU and Nak combination for my City.

I have heard good responses from my friends who have been to them for Icing, who have brought Nak products from them.
Experiences may usually vary with the various installers..the workmen are not exactly on a payroll...and also depends on the mood of the people installing it and also the shop owner.

When I had been to my installer to fix up a sound coming from my front speaker I saw his santro parked there and asked for a demo..

He has installed JBL GTO 527's in the front and the grill is infinity branded, in the rear blau 369.1, JBL GT5 sub 1100w ( thats what he said, the 1100w part) and a JBL GT5 two channel amp and a JBL 4060 limited edition.

The point is you have to give it a listen to the installers demo car if any and then you will know, he was surprised to hear fbass upfront from my GTO 427's and he said theres no midrange..and only bass heheh

Please if anyone of you guys go to either of the Autoshop, check out for the installers black santro..
Old 23rd January 2008, 23:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
JBL GT5 and GTO components cost that much. Power and GTi are much higher priced.
GTi is priced at 25-30 k range. Dont know about power series
Old 24th January 2008, 09:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
A compact home theater system with a lot of deficiencies in sound could appear to be doing a good job during normal movie playback (one without songs :P, hollywood style dishoom-dishoom), but would fall flat on its face with the most untesting audio tracks. reasons for this are far too well known to us.
That is the audio equivalent of the color photograph / movie v/s black & white comparison. One sees a lot more information in a black & white photo or movie since there are no distractions, but a common color photo or movie (seems more realistic; it is no doubt) is more 'fulfilling' to most people, distractions and all.

@b&t-bhai, you should actually create a sticky of the reasons - it will be rich content for others as the reasons are not widely known. You and Sam have the knowledge and writing style to get the points across in easy language.

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th January 2008 at 10:01.
Old 24th January 2008, 10:12   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@b&t-bhai, you should actually create a sticky of the reasons
Finally someone else who is willing to nag these 2.
Old 24th January 2008, 10:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Very much aware of the GTi series My friend in Siam runs a pair of 508's
Are these(Power/GTi) available locally, off the shelf or are they on order basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Finally someone else who is willing to nag these 2.
I dont see why not, they have picked up the pen for newspapers and magazines so T-BHP deserves some love too
Old 24th January 2008, 10:46   #83
BHPian

Friends.....PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR.

I have a safari & I do not want to go overboard & install addon boxes in my car. I have a very simple configuration

Pioneer 8950BR
2 pairs of component 5" speakers - audio dynamics

Since, I do not want to install additional subwoofer boxes, I have put the component speakers in the door speaker compartments.

Irony is , i'm just not enjoying the sound.....paid 25K for HU + speakers....money down the drain.
Old 24th January 2008, 10:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
You havent really mentioned what you plan to do and what exactly is lacking in the system. 6.5" would have been good though for a cabin that size.

Where did you get the install done?
Old 24th January 2008, 11:12   #85
BHPian

I still would want to retain that 5" space in the door enclosure & do not want to add on any additional boxes. 4 doors has now 4 component speakers of 5".

Unfortunately, 6.5" does not get into that space. The reason I do not want to install additional box, is that it would like to retain the free space available & have things concealed.

I feel that the 5" speakers are lacking the power to deliver crisp sound.

I got the installation done at "platinum cars", basavanagudi. Shama is the guy....I have seen & experienced that he will be able to get the best prices in the grey market
Old 24th January 2008, 14:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still would want to retain that 5" space in the door enclosure & do not want to add on any additional boxes. 4 doors has now 4 component speakers of 5".

Unfortunately, 6.5" does not get into that space. The reason I do not want to install additional box, is that it would like to retain the free space available & have things concealed.

I feel that the 5" speakers are lacking the power to deliver crisp sound.

I got the installation done at "platinum cars", basavanagudi. Shama is the guy....I have seen & experienced that he will be able to get the best prices in the grey market
@m3_07-avare, you have to decide between best sound and 'ability to get best price in the grey market'. You were not advised well on component selection. Now for the sake of good sound, you will have to keep a stone on your heart and invest more.

The mounting 'hole' in the beast is 168mm dia, with a flange behind it on which you screw the speaker frame. The locha is that at the bottom, it reduces to 160mm (there is a flat area corresponding to the grill bottom).

One can make a 6.5" speaker fit, in as long as the frame outer dia is less than 168mm. A slot can be cut in the flat are near the flange to allow the speaker frame to poke through.

Now, audition components from known good speaker brands like Blaupunkt, JBL, Hertz, Illusion, Infinity etc. Avoid Sony, Pioneer, etc. A pair of decent components in front and coax in the rear should cost you about 10-12K with b&w.

If you had already mounted tweeters on the rear doors, then go for components in the rear - just for the sake of reusing that mounting location instead of trying to mask it. Otherwise, a good coax should do fine.
Old 24th January 2008, 14:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pioneer 8950BR
I dont think it is audible dynamics. And I would stay away from them. They must be yellow color ones
Old 24th January 2008, 15:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
F

Pioneer 8950BR

Since, I do not want to install additional subwoofer boxes, I have put the component speakers in the door speaker compartments.

Irony is , i'm just not enjoying the sound.....paid 25K for HU + speakers....money down the drain.
I am sorry to hear this my friend. Unfortunately the crazy resident sikh speaks the truth.
Those speakers are not very good and I am sorry you paid your hard earned money for them.
Nothing wrong with your HU though. I suggest you tolerate the speakers for as long as you can, then sell them/ give them away.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:17   #89
BHPian

Friends.....any address in B'lore whom I can see for a "safe & a sound" advice???

Thanks in advance!!
Old 25th January 2008, 14:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends.....any address in B'lore whom I can see for a "safe & a sound" advice???
PM @blueraven - he can guide you and show you what is good sound. There are a lot of other Benga-boys to help you out - you just have to hollur-u.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks