Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 15:20   #46
BHPian

hi guys,

an update on my ICE.

Like i mentioned earlier, i find the tweets a little bright for my taste. i had a talk with the pros(Gunbir, Jb and Mukul) and i had a solution in an instant.

What i have done is a little different from what they suggested (actually i was too tired and my brain was not working to full potential at that time so i forgot a thing or two lol).

earlier, the mid bass' and the tweeters were powered by 2 channels and the sub on the other 2 on a pio 944 amplifier. The rear fills were powered by the rear channels of the HU.

I don't listen to the rears at all but my wife does and she like likes the sound coming from all around.

what i did is, put the tweeters on the rear channels of the head unit. paralleled the rears with the midbass' on the amp using a toggle switch.

now, with the rears off, the midbass' are getting around 75w each(not much of a difference loudness wise) as opposed to 60-65w with the tweets.

with the rears switched on, the midbass with the rears present a 2ohm load to the amp. the amp puts out 125w @ 2ohms 14.4v. they now sound much better and my wifey is happy. :-)

Im happy too as now, the setup sounds perfect. But sometimes, some songs have less HF content and can sound dull. In that case, i fade the midbass a little and turn up the Volume. This way, i can adjust the levels(by fading) and i find it much better than cutting or boosting the treble.

Im satisfied and very happy with my setup now.

cheers
clip
Old 30th January 2008, 15:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

So when is the HU upgrade coming.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I don't think anytime soon.. Please read post # 39 of this thread
Old 30th January 2008, 16:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I don't think anytime soon.. Please read post # 39 of this thread
Yaar I am just asking him. Not saying to get it now as he was quite eager to buy it.
Old 31st January 2008, 05:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
it will take time. like rev hard pointed.

it will be a big upgrade with top of the line stuff. im looking forward to it.

it might be something like this. here goes.

audison lrx/vrx or genesjsss or Image dynamics amplifiers.

for the front stage, i might get hertz mille. And it could be 3 way. and if i go active, i will still install the passive xos. lol. they are very expensive. expensive than some top of the line 3 way comps lol. but im not sure. i will audition them first. i heard the 2 way milles and they were out of this world.

subs i think will most probably idq v3s 12" x 2. i have heard really nice things about these new beauties.

Head Unit. aaaahhh. i don't think it will be a 9887. im not sure but im thinking of getting the hx-d2.

this upgrade will take time. could be anywhere between a month and 3. :-)

cheers
clip
Old 31st January 2008, 09:47   #51
BHPian

If you get the HX-D2, you may not have to buy those Expensive crossovers for active 3 way fronts also
Old 31st January 2008, 13:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
If you get the HX-D2, you may not have to buy those Expensive crossovers for active 3 way fronts also
yep. it has a 4way xo. i still can't decide. i think i might buy the 9887 till i don't get the hx-d2. lets see what happens in the next few days.

cheers
clip
Old 31st January 2008, 15:11   #53
BANNED

woohoo, looks like i am going to make a trip to Jalandhar very soon!!
Old 24th February 2008, 17:27   #54
BHPian

Hi,

Navin ji, thought i'd ask if it is possible to diy a non inductive resistor.

i was reading somewhere, a guy made the resistors using silver wires. winding the wires in the opposite direction, the guy said it cancels out the inductance.

i measured a few WW resistors and the inductance came close to around 0.04 Mili Henries. Don't know if it is accurate though. i have a Lutron LCR meter if that helps.

I think it should be possible with magnet wire(enamelled copper wire)

cheers
clip
Old 24th February 2008, 18:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ozi @clip-maharaz, using silver or copper wires you will get non-inductive resistors all right, but in the milli-ohm range - both are "good conductors". What value do you need?

Yes, a double-helix (one for up, other for down) is the way NI resistors are made. Cost a bomb to make since this is precision machining as compared to the simpler single helix resistors. Lower power ones are screen printed on ceramic. Neither of the above are processes suitable for DIY. :(

Read up on wires that are used to make resistances. There are different alloys for different resistivity ranges. You need to insulate them somehow - they come bare. At a pinch, even the wire used in the heating element of a toaster might do. Measure out the exact length based on the resistance you need, double it up, and wind it around a ceramic cylinder - simple. Attach copper leads to it (bl**dy things are difficult to solder), put a conformal coating on the whole assembly, and you are good to go!

Perhaps it would be easier to buy it off-the-shelf.

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th February 2008 at 18:45.
Old 25th February 2008, 00:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Ozi @clip-maharaz, using silver or copper wires you will get non-inductive resistors all right, but in the milli-ohm range - both are "good conductors". What value do you need?

Yes, a double-helix (one for up, other for down) is the way NI resistors are made. Cost a bomb to make since this is precision machining as compared to the simpler single helix resistors. Lower power ones are screen printed on ceramic. Neither of the above are processes suitable for DIY. :(

Read up on wires that are used to make resistances. There are different alloys for different resistivity ranges. You need to insulate them somehow - they come bare. At a pinch, even the wire used in the heating element of a toaster might do. Measure out the exact length based on the resistance you need, double it up, and wind it around a ceramic cylinder - simple. Attach copper leads to it (bl**dy things are difficult to solder), put a conformal coating on the whole assembly, and you are good to go!

Perhaps it would be easier to buy it off-the-shelf.
it is easier but it should be available too which they are not. at lease anywhere in punjab.

what i can do is get the required resistance in a wire wound resistor and unwind the wire used. i did this succesfully today. i can use nail enamel or some other thing.

i have an idea. don't know if it is possible but i think i can do it. ill double the wire and wind it. i will then secure half the wires ends and remove the half. then i can use enamel to insulate it. nexta i will repear the step for the other hal wire and join the wire at one end. the other 2 i guess will be the in out terminals. what say deralte phappa ji? is it a good idea? seems like i have a brain. lol.

buying a resistor is out of question. i will first have to apply for a credit card which i really am not interested to use. And i can't wait. thats my biggest problem.

And please check your Pm inbox.

cheers phappa ji
clip
Old 25th February 2008, 10:20   #57
Team-BHP Support

why not use a Moebius Strip? LOL I was kidding.

Clip do you have access to Ni-Cr wire and some ceramic?

See Steve Eddy's posts here
diyAudio Forums Archive - DIY silver non inductive ww resistors
Old 25th February 2008, 13:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
why not use a Moebius Strip? LOL I was kidding.

Clip do you have access to Ni-Cr wire and some ceramic?

See Steve Eddy's posts here
diyAudio Forums Archive - DIY silver non inductive ww resistors
Send me one. lol.

Nichrome? I dont think so. Can you tell me where it is used? Then maybe i can find out. is it used in heaters?

This was the thread i read. i remember now. I read this thread quite a while back.

Last edited by clipto333 : 25th February 2008 at 14:03.
Old 25th February 2008, 19:40   #59
BHPian

navinji, if its the same kind of wire used in room heaters i have a couple of heaters lying around which do not work.

and what kind of ceramic do i look for? any picture or link you can post?

cheers
clip
Old 26th February 2008, 01:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

The heater wire is nichrome wire. When it is used, heated up it becomes hard and brittle. So buy new one as when you will untie it from the heater it will break.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks