Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 12:26   #286
BHPian

Re: ICE for Innova

Hi,
I have a Pioneer DVD player in my Innova. Want to install a LCD monitor roof mount.
From my research, I found these options -
a) Circuit LCD monitor
b) Xenos 8.5" or 11"
c) RD (Dont know what this is, but got a quote of 5.5K from Reliance Auto world Koramangala for 8.5" screen)
d) Carbon 9.2" or 10.4"
e) Necvox 9"

I have not seen the LCD fitted in any car, so need help from this team on deciding what to go for. I have a budget of 6-7K. Some requirements and questions -
a) What should be the screen size? Will it come in the way of rear view mirror?
b) Thought of 9", but will it be too small?
c) Will it cause too much load on the roof and cause sagging or vibrations?
d) Need decent resolution screen (eg - 640x480 or something similar)
e) Need two video inputs (want to connect another media player - like phone if required). I found that Carbon and Xenos has two inputs.
f) Which brand should I go for?

Usually, I do have strong opinions on what I know, and do take decisions, but for this, I am entirely banking on this team's inputs!
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:06   #287
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have been assigned responsibility of ICE'ing my cousin's Innova. The options I have are as below:

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X5550BT
Speakers: JBL GTO 609c for 4 doors

For sub, I might go in for Pioneer TS-WX210A powered sub-woofer as we are not interested in a boom-boom output. This might be added later after checking the output from the components. Same with the amplifier.

Please let me know your expert opinion/suggestions on this set-up.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:32   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
... The options I have are as below: ...
'Options' normally means more than one ... err ... option. You have listed only one each for HU and speakers! Shouldn't you look around for more?

Quote:
... Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-X5550BT
Speakers: JBL GTO 609c for 4 doors

For sub, I might go in for Pioneer TS-WX210A powered sub-woofer as we are not interested in a boom-boom output. ...
1. Please avoid putting another set of components for the rear, since this is an overkill and spoils the front image. Whichever way you mount it, the rear tweeter will still be closer to the driver's ear than the rear seat passengers'. Instead, use a coax in the rear doors, like JBL GT6-366 or 266

2. If you are not interested in "boom-boom output", powered sub-woofers are the wrong choice - they are usually very boomy ported enclosures (boomy refers to bass where notes are stretched out like boommmm, as opposed to good bass where they sound like they were meant to sound).

People who haven't heard the difference between the usual ported and sealed enclosures prefer the loud bass of ported as better bang for the buck, completely ignoring the pitfall. You should make it a point to hear well-tuned systems in a (any) car with sub in a sealed enclosure - you will change your opinion. There are pre-built ported subs that almost mimic sealed, but they usually cost a packet, and none of them come with built-in amp (powered sub)

3. If you want to put a sub, you will have to put in an amp. If you only play the sub with at other channels on the HU amp, it will be extremely difficult to get a balanced tuning. Best / cheapest is to get a 4-channel amp, and use it to power the front components and the subwoofer. The rear can be powered by HU

If you go to a good installer, they will be able to show you how good systems sound in a car. They will also show you (audition) other brands and models so you have an idea of how they sound. Please be aware that you may not like the sound of some brands and models, so locking on one to save effort is not a wise process.

All the best!
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 17:01   #289
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
'Options' normally means more than one ... err ... option. You have listed only one each for HU and speakers! Shouldn't you look around for more?
To tell you the truth, I was lazy.
For head unit I had two options, AVH-X5550BT & AVH-X2450BT. The 5550 has a 7" screen with CD slot behind the screen and 2450 has a 6.5" screen with cd slot above the screen. Basic features are the same, chose 5550BT for the looks. No detachable panel for both which might be a disadvantage.

The owner of the car prefers Pioneer, so that was the only head unit I looked for. The key features we are looking for is Bluetooth, USB and rear cam input.

Quote:
1. Please avoid putting another set of components for the rear, since this is an overkill and spoils the front image. Whichever way you mount it, the rear tweeter will still be closer to the driver's ear than the rear seat passengers'. Instead, use a coax in the rear doors, like JBL GT6-366 or 266
Thanks for the tip. I will go for a good co-axial in the rear. Was confused which one to go for.

Quote:
2. If you are not interested in "boom-boom output", powered sub-woofers are the wrong choice - they are usually very boomy ported enclosures (boomy refers to bass where notes are stretched out like boommmm, as opposed to good bass where they sound like they were meant to sound).
I was not aware of this. The idea was to have a compact sub-woofer.

Quote:
People who haven't heard the difference between the usual ported and sealed enclosures prefer the loud bass of ported as better bang for the buck, completely ignoring the pitfall. You should make it a point to hear well-tuned systems in a (any) car with sub in a sealed enclosure - you will change your opinion. There are pre-built ported subs that almost mimic sealed, but they usually cost a packet, and none of them come with built-in amp (powered sub)
My car comes with a factory fitted sealed sub-woofer. The RF system comes with amplifier, components in front, co-axials in the rear and a sub in the boot. As it came factory fitted, I am not aware of how the whole set-up is driven.

Quote:
3. If you want to put a sub, you will have to put in an amp. If you only play the sub with at other channels on the HU amp, it will be extremely difficult to get a balanced tuning. Best / cheapest is to get a 4-channel amp, and use it to power the front components and the subwoofer. The rear can be powered by HU
I think we will go with an amp and sub as you mentioned. Can you suggest me a good amplifier from the JBL?

I am planning to buy only the head-unit from Dubai, almost finalized on on the 5550BT. When I looked at the price of speakers, the prices in Dubai is almost the same as in India. Even if it is slightly on higher side, I will buy the speakers & sub in India, also to save on the baggage allowance. Availability is also an issue. I visited the Pioneer dealer today and surprisingly they did not have stock of component speakers! All they had was a lot of co-axials. Harman House had components, but not the ones I was looking for. The only 6.5" components they had was Infinity Kappa series, which was quoted more the AED 1K, definitely out of our budget.
Old 26th May 2013, 12:47   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Can you suggest me a good amplifier from the JBL? ...
The 646.

Quote:
... Even if it is slightly on higher side, I will buy the speakers & sub in India, also to save on the baggage allowance. ...
Good idea.

Quote:
... The only 6.5" components they had was Infinity Kappa series, which was quoted more the AED 1K, definitely out of our budget.
That would be ~15K. Expected street price is ~10-12K. Good option, though.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:11   #291
BHPian

Completed the installation for Innova in July at Kochi. It was a day's job for two people. The installation was done by Mr. Razak in Palarivattom (en-route to Thammanam). I felt that the installation was done professionally and I AM very happy with the quality of installation. Razak was very transparent with the prices and after checking at some shops, we found his prices to be excellent. JBL 609C was not available anywhere and later we found out that the 649C is the replacement model.

The overall cost is as given below:
Head Unit Pioneer AVH-X8550BT : 28,000
Front Speaker JBL GTO649C : 5,500
Rear Speaker JBL GT6 S366 : 2,500
Subwoofer + Sealed Box JBL GTX 1150 : 4,000
Amplifier JBL GTX 646 : 5,300
Damping Sheet : 3,000
Wiring Harness : 100
MDF Spacer for speaker (x 4) : 160
Head Unit Spacer : 120
Rear View Camera : 900
Amplifier Wiring Kit & RC Cable : 2,000
Total Material Cost : 51,580
Labour Charges : 3500
Total Installation Cost : 55,080

All doors were damped properly before installation. The doors closing with the "thud" was already music to ears. The tweeters were installed outside the door garnish where the OEM tweeters are positioned.

Amplifier tuning was not perfect as the rear passenger complained that the audio was more to the front. He could not feel the rear speakers at all. While checking the amplifier, I could see that the gain was 100% for the front channel. I reduced the gain to a level where the front and rear speakers had a balanced output. I reduced the gain for the rear channel also so that the Sub was not too loud.

The pioneer head unit is just amazing with a very good user interface and all the connectivity you would expect in a modern head unit. Did not try the app-mode as I did not have the required cables.

Sorry for no pictures.
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:06   #292
BHPian

Congratulations on your setup, I will suggest to run a check on the amplifier wiring kit and RCA's - what brands have the installer used.

A good quality wiring is the key to a good system - please check if they are genuine and are of good quality.

Also do read about how to set the gain on your system - will help you in achieving a balanced sound stage in the car. An overly set gain can damage your speakers if played at higher volumes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...implified.html
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:52   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Congratulations on your setup, I will suggest to run a check on the amplifier wiring kit and RCA's - what brands have the installer used.

A good quality wiring is the key to a good system - please check if they are genuine and are of good quality.

Also do read about how to set the gain on your system - will help you in achieving a balanced sound stage in the car. An overly set gain can damage your speakers if played at higher volumes.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...implified.html
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I will get hold of the car only in December when I go back to India.

I remember the wiring was of good quality. It was an imported kit, don't remember the exact brand.

We had set-up the gain for the front components to the minimum, just enough to set the stage a bit towards the front seat occupants. I will try the process explained in link once I am in India.
Old 29th September 2014, 07:32   #294
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Planning on upgrading the sound in my Innova G4 (very old; done about 200k km. 7 years)

The head unit is a Panasonic DVD player (changed about 3 years ago. Fine with it, as of now). I have the wiring done for a 8" Soomoku powered sub. Did not like the sound much (bass was standing out too much) and more importantly, there was ABSOLUTELY no luggage space with it in the boot. So, rarely, if ever, used it.

(Why am I doing this now? Long story - the Innova was essentially a school bus and hence I left it basically stock. Got the Duster for myself and got the sound I wanted. However, from a running cost perspective, it made better sense for the Duster to become the school bus. So, I am driving the Innova around!)

Basically planning to do the following:
- replace 4 speakers,
- add 2 speakers for the 3rd row,
- put in an amp and
- a sub-woofer

Requirements:
- Clean, crisp sound. Not looking for BOOM but definition (Listen largely to Classic rock, Tamil songs, Hindi songs & Pop. Some classical. Basically eclectic). At lowish volumes mostly
- THe set up should be removable & reusable as much as possible (will sell the Innova in about 12 months))
- Budget not really a constraint but wont spend a bomb on this. I use this car for commuting and am on calls half the time!

What are my options? What set of components will work together seamlessly?

The ICE guy is trying to get me to buy a 10" Soomoku self powered sub. (15k) Keeps throwing words like Class A amp; mono bloc etc. I am not comfortable.

I have no clue about this. Nor do I have a particularly discerning ear. I only can tell what I like.

So please help.

Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 12:27   #295
BHPian

I am not sure if I can post this query here, but I need help from fellow team bhpians since this is a thread for Innova ICE .My father recently lost the head unit of JVC KW AV 50 (double din , touch screen ) . Should I buy the entire unit or is it possible for me to get the head unit only ?
Old 29th September 2014, 15:05   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
... - replace 4 speakers,
- add 2 speakers for the 3rd row,
- put in an amp and
- a sub-woofer ...
If you really want to use the boot, put 2 6x9 ovals in the hatch. That will serve the 3rd row, as well as give a semblance of bass. Otherwise, reuse the 8" Sumoku. Tune the system well - you can do it yourself. Last time around, your system was not tuned properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
... Should I buy the entire unit or is it possible for me to get the head unit only ?
The 'entire unit' is called the HU. What was lost was the 'front plate'. Check with the JVC service center. They might be able to get you one, possibly a used one. If not, you will have to buy a new HU.
Old 29th September 2014, 17:56   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If you really want to use the boot, put 2 6x9 ovals in the hatch. That will serve the 3rd row, as well as give a semblance of bass. Otherwise, reuse the 8" Sumoku. Tune the system well - you can do it yourself. Last time around, your system was not tuned properly.
Thanks, DerAlte.

That is a very attractive idea but the Innova will still be used if the entire family goes out of town. So, detachable set up is a must.

The Sumooku is used in the Duster currently & is hence not available. Need a new set up for the Innova. (BTW, I am quite happy with the sound in the Duster)

The way I read your advice, you are basically saying "dont waste money on the audio set up in the Innova". Correct?

Would a under seat powered Sub work? (Not touching any of the other speakers). If not, what is your opinion on the Sony XS-GTX121LC ??

Thanks.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:22   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... detachable set up is a must. ... Would a under seat powered Sub work? (Not touching any of the other speakers). If not, what is your opinion on the Sony XS-GTX121LC ?? ...
That Sony is better than a Sumoku, but not by much. Definitely not in the same league as a powered Blaupunkt or JVC.

Underseat powered subs neither go low nor loud. They do give a feeling of bass, slightly less than that of a pair of good 6x9 coaxes.

If you buy a powered sub - underseat or regular - it becomes a must that at least the front components are amped. Otherwise, it will be as before that bass overpowers other frequencies - difficult to tune. If you have a 4 channel amp, you can get the Polk 8" (with box; unpowered passive, sealed box) underseat subwoofer, and power it by a bridged pair of channels from the amp.

Quote:
... The way I read your advice, you are basically saying "dont waste money on the audio set up in the Innova". Correct? ...
No, not at all. It was because you wanted the boot free, yet have some decent bass.
Old 30th September 2014, 18:56   #299
BHPian

Hi
I've changed my JVC 2 din today with Pioneeer 5690BT. Unfortunately I am not getting audio from my iPod (30 pin connector). I am using same JVC iPod cable. I can see all controls on HU and song being played but can't hear any audio!!
I am using JVC iPod cable and connected Red, White to AV in and Yellow video in with iPod connection to dedicated place but in vain. To the same cable when connected a USB flash drive, audio is heard!!
Please suggest what is going wrong?
Old 1st October 2014, 15:45   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dineshnan View Post
... JVC iPod cable and connected Red, White to AV in and Yellow video in with iPod connection to dedicated place but in vain. To the same cable when connected a USB flash drive, audio is heard!! ...
The USB or iPod cable won't have the red, white, yellow RCA plugs. A cable with red, white, yellow RCA plugs will not play USB flash drives. What cable do you have actually, and where exactly is it connected?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks