Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 13:01   #46
BHPian

Guys, look at some chinese options too, infact I was just talking to Gunbir on this, the landed cost in India is around 500$ (Rs.20,000) and carries GPS and lot of other stuff which the big brand might have scheduled for year 2010 launch

trying to attach a car PC photo here which comes for around $2000 in India

if it does not work here, then will upload in my section
Attached Thumbnails
Double Din DVD HU Thread: JVC KW-AVX800 \ Alpine IVA-W200 \ Pioneer AVH-P6850-dvdgps.jpg  

Old 7th July 2008, 15:30   #47
BHPian

Double Din DVD HU Thread: JVC KW-AVX800 \ Alpine IVA-W200 \ Pioneer AVH-P6850 Reply

What the
It looks like a microwave
Old 7th July 2008, 15:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Is this double or quadruple din??
Old 7th July 2008, 16:01   #49
BHPian

Does this Chinese import come with GPS built in? Can you provide us with some links to read further? Looks promising. I assume you can have a hard drive built into it! Please post specs for the unit.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:16   #50
BHPian

It has all that you ever wanted and is futureproof to atleast a decade, the cost is coming to around $2000 after I pay the freight and duty post landing in Pune.
attachings specs in word,
I was initially preplexed as how the chinese guys have all this technology while the big boys are still far behind, but it looks like that all the big boys globally are sending the designs straight out of the R&D to china-man to develop the models and which are available only in the Million $ Cars, but thanks to the china-man they love to share their wares and they bring out all these models for us
I am in process of ordering 1 unit and try it out to see how it goes, the best part its that this car PC can directly talk to my home wi-fi, over & above since we have the PC at disposal we can actually use the hardware for purpose by downloading the software. one can actaully is limited only by his vision
wld . love to know your thoughts
cheers
Attached Files
File Type: doc Configurations.doc (55.5 KB, 819 views)
Old 7th July 2008, 19:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Interesting concept and a nifty integration job, no doubt, but not sure of the $2000 price tag. There are 1 DIN units available in the embedded world for much less, though with fewer bells & whistles (no CD drive, no amp, no radio). Unlikely to displace the ICE vendors in a hurry at that price level. Future proof it may be (usually the users aren't - people change their mind and tastes), but there WILL be no future for this gizmo unless there is a service network!
Old 7th July 2008, 23:26   #52
BHPian

Quoting 'Deralte'
yes, i hve come across them too an they have lovely pricing and design concept too, 1-in and 2-din as well. The 2-din & Car PC system looks similar but vary completely in their construction, just as an FYI the 2-din units is costing around 500$ after landing in Pune, 1-din also are just marginally lesser
attached is the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Double Din DVD HU Thread: JVC KW-AVX800 \ Alpine IVA-W200 \ Pioneer AVH-P6850-1214155397.jpg  

Double Din DVD HU Thread: JVC KW-AVX800 \ Alpine IVA-W200 \ Pioneer AVH-P6850-1din.jpg  

Old 8th July 2008, 01:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

I have to say that the device there is a big waste of money.

I'll give you guys a hit - XBMC. An original Xbox is dirt cheap these days. Softmod it and install XBMC and you have something that does all the device above does except GPS and the included LCD. A 7" widescreen monitor goes for 200$ for a good one. I don't know the cost of a GPS.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
XBMC. An original Xbox is dirt cheap these days. Softmod it and install XBMC and you have something that does all the device above does
I am not aware of this dimension, can you please elaborate and also give some pointers/pics and specs

thanks
Old 8th July 2008, 14:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
... I'll give you guys a hit - XBMC. An original Xbox is dirt cheap these days. Softmod it and install XBMC and you have something that does all the device above does except GPS and the included LCD. A 7" widescreen monitor goes for 200$ for a good one. I don't know the cost of a GPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
I am not aware of this dimension, can you please elaborate and also give some pointers/pics and specs
Please go through the Car PC implementation threads in the DIY section.

An external GPS unit will cost, I think, app. 6K (USB, without software and maps), 15-20K with all bells and whistles.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobless9 View Post
Ya I know .. that given the price a double din player would sound less better than a single din counterpart. I am willing to give up this small difference for my dash beauty
I need a clarification on this - do Double DINs do not match the Single DIN players in terms of sound quality / clarity? Or do you mean that they are costlier, and sound the same as Single DIN, hence the additional cost is only for filling in Double DIN slots in the car?

Am asking because I'm planning to go for a FH-P8000BT.
Old 19th August 2008, 15:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
... do Double DINs do not match the Single DIN players in terms of sound quality / clarity? Or do you mean that they are costlier, and sound the same as Single DIN, hence the additional cost is only for filling in Double DIN slots in the car? ...
The latter is true. Single or double DIN is a mounting arrangement, and most of the extra cost in the commonly available 2DIN units is towards the (touch panel) LCD screen. SQ usually remains the same, since the manufacturers reuse the same building blocks, such as CD/DVD drive, DAC and internal amps etc. across models.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte!! I am searching and choosing the other stuff to complete the setup, I would need a lot of advice, suggestions, corrections in the days to come!!
Old 20th August 2008, 09:28   #59
BHPian

i think 2-din are way better as they make your interior of your car go up a few classes-looks cool.i think we should also include this in the above comparison.SONY XAV-W1.
Attached Thumbnails
Double Din DVD HU Thread: JVC KW-AVX800 \ Alpine IVA-W200 \ Pioneer AVH-P6850-sony-xav-w1.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 11:23   #60
Team-BHP Support

My opinion:
In a car tactile feel is important. When operating a car you dont want your eyes to be distracted because you do not know which button you are pressing on a touch screen.

Manufacturers of double din HUs in their rush to stuff the biggest screen in the available space (it's akin to the Mega Pixel race in digital cameras) have forgotten that usability is paramount.

Any car HU will need to have atleast a few primary buttons (Volume, Forward, Back ...) that are not touch based. I did try to operate the JVC HUs that were installed in the "JBL Swift Twins" and found it difficult to do so when driving or in direct sunlight.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks