Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 14:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

The Kenwood 8401 amp was replaced by the 8402 which was replaced by the 8403 and now, we have the 8404,just launched.
Why is the 8401 still discussed here on team-bhp? Is Kenwood India selling old stock?
Old 24th April 2008, 15:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The Kenwood 8401 amp was replaced by the 8402 which was replaced by the 8403 and now, we have the 8404,just launched.
Why is the 8401 still discussed here on team-bhp? Is Kenwood India selling old stock?
Well, yes, it is phased out, but its probably the only amp which still carries good reviews and is under 5k mark. Most installers still recommend it positively.

How much is 8404 selling for? How much better is it compared to 8401?

EDIT: The Kenwood India website still lists 8401 and 8403 in the Amplifiers section. Why is it so if these 2 have been phased out?
Kenwood Corporation | Car Electroics | Power Amplifiers

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 24th April 2008 at 15:21.
Old 24th April 2008, 16:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
...These are the specs which made me think Kenwood is better than Blaupunt at the same price point. ...
THD at Rated RMS Power 0.05% (BETTER) ...
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 50-200 Hz (BETTER)
Speaker Level Inputs Yes (BETTER)
Preamp Outputs 1 pair (BETTER)
Bass Boost 0, 6, 12 dB (BETTER)
Bass Boost Frequency 45 Hz (BETTER)
* THD: either is too low practically anyhow
* HPF Frequency: most used range is usually 60-140Hz, so it really doesn't matter
* Speaker level inputs are only required if you have an HU which does not have Pre-amp Out - rare
* Pre-amp outputs at the amp are required when there are more than one amp and they are required to be daisy-chained
* Bass Boost (and it's frequency) are needed if your HU cannot boost low frequencies. Almost all HUs have that facility today
Old 24th April 2008, 16:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* THD: either is too low practically anyhow
* HPF Frequency: most used range is usually 60-140Hz, so it really doesn't matter
* Speaker level inputs are only required if you have an HU which does not have Pre-amp Out - rare
* Pre-amp outputs at the amp are required when there are more than one amp and they are required to be daisy-chained
* Bass Boost (and it's frequency) are needed if your HU cannot boost low frequencies. Almost all HUs have that facility today
So effectively, there is not too much of a difference between Kenwood 8401 and Blaupunkt GTA4? What would be your choice if you were to buy one of these, and why?

Any idea about the prices of Kenwood 8403/8404?
Old 25th April 2008, 09:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... What would be your choice if you were to buy one of these, and why?...
The Blaupunkt. Purely on the basis of the A.S.S. availability, and the fact that there is a company who is solidly behind it's products - not one which is still tentative about the Indian market. By the same logic, I wouldn't buy Clarion, Kenwood, etc. One can't do much if one gets a brand as OEM fitment, but in after-market one has a choice.
Old 25th April 2008, 10:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai prices:
JBL 937 - Rs 2800 (without B&W), Rs 4500 (With B&W)
Blaupunkt THx 693 (no idea)
Polk Momo MMC690 (Rs 4200)
GZ GZTF69T (Rs 4900)
Hertz Deici DCX690 (Rs 4000 - through Gunbir's March clearance sale)

The Polk Momo's don't retail for less than 6000 man (grey), you might have seen the DBs.
Old 27th April 2008, 18:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Any option to substitute TA?

So yesterday I had the fortune of hearing Bhagwan's 3 cars.Thanks Godji,for reminding me to visit you!

I must say, all 3 are very well done installs and the cars sound quite well, for the type of music Godji listens to. He is a sure autophile and the installs justify the taste. (of course,the equipment installed plays a major role too!)

I personally liked the i-10 most. Clean, simple and amazing SQ install. It didnt have rear fills and had just the subwoofer+front compos. The sub blends very well with the front compos and the sound stage is just perfect for the driver.

However, the audition left me with a lingering question. It seems that Godji used TA in all 3 cars (which he told me after an hour of listening!), which makes the bas from the sub blend well with the front sound stage.

We heard the music both with TA and without it. Without TA, there is a distinct difference. It almost feels as if car is divided into 2 sound chambers. The front compos and the sub seem to be playing individually and not in tandem. Honestly, this ruined the entire sound stage.

Now, my budget doesnt allow me to get a HU with TA feature (i.e. my HU budget is 7k). I was wondering - is there a way to have something similar to TA in some other manner? (thru the amp tuning or thru normal HU settings)? Or is there no substitute to TA at all?

P.S. Bhagwan-ji , I would suggest chartering your Skoda as a mobile disc. The trance in it was pure nirvana!
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon the ignorant/newbie question, but I was curious to know which location is best suited to install an amplifier in a hatch?

1. Under co-driver's seat
2. Back of rear seat/boot
3. Any other possible location?

Is the choice user dependent or car dependent?

Any inherent (dis)advantages of Option 1 and 2? (apart from the stealth install advantage)
Just a quick question - I have the amp installed on the plastic sidewall of the boot in my Getz. While going over rough roads/potholes, I hear some rattling sound from the boot, which I suspect is due to the heavy amp being installed on the relatively delicate plastic.

Is this a cause for worry? Should I get the amp shifted to the back of the rear seat?

My main doubt at the time of install was whether to get the amp screwed on directly to the rear seat or use some MDF board etc (which I had seen in a few installs).

Also, I thought that while putting luggage in the boot, the side location of the amp will interfere least with suitcases, as opposed to rear seat. This is also true in case I need to fold back rear seat to create more space for a bigger suitcase. Hence, I chose to avoid getting it installed there.

Could someone please suggest the best alternative?
Old 24th July 2008, 00:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick question - I have the amp installed on the plastic sidewall of the boot in my Getz. While going over rough roads/potholes, I hear some rattling sound from the boot, which I suspect is due to the heavy amp being installed on the relatively delicate plastic.
Bad install. Bad install. Bad install.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Bad install. Bad install. Bad install.
My my..your repetition has got me worried now. And to think that this was done by a reputed and professional installer in Mumbai!

So whats your suggestion Gunbir? How and where would the amp be best placed? Please keep in mind that its Blaupunkt GTA4
Old 24th July 2008, 10:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Any pics of the same ?
Old 24th July 2008, 11:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Any pics of the same ?
Will click today and upload.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps you could mount the amp on a board, and mount the board over the plastic cladding with appropriate mounting, or the board can replace the cladding.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I thought that while putting luggage in the boot, the side location of the amp will interfere least with suitcases, as opposed to rear seat. This is also true in case I need to fold back rear seat to create more space for a bigger suitcase. Hence, I chose to avoid getting it installed there.
So, did you suggest the mounting location? The best bet would have been to have it on the rear seat. Who is this reputed installer who seems to be taking a little beating here?
Old 24th July 2008, 18:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
So, did you suggest the mounting location? The best bet would have been to have it on the rear seat. Who is this reputed installer who seems to be taking a little beating here?
Yes, I had suggested that as an alternative location since I thought it would be space saving and stealth. But I had not forced on it. I just proposed the idea without knowing its future consequences. Somehow I felt that if it was wrong, the installer should have not gone ahead with it and should have told me so.

Lets not take names on a public forum sir - your guess is as good as mine. Remember we had discussed this also at your office the other day?

And am also waiting for your reply to my SMS yesterday!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks