Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Amplifier placement question

Pardon the ignorant/newbie question, but I was curious to know which location is best suited to install an amplifier in a hatch?

1. Under co-driver's seat
2. Back of rear seat/boot
3. Any other possible location?

Is the choice user dependent or car dependent?

Any inherent (dis)advantages of Option 1 and 2? (apart from the stealth install advantage)
Old 28th March 2008, 16:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Pardon the ignorant/newbie question, but I was curious to know which location is best suited to install an amplifier in a hatch?

1. Under co-driver's seat
2. Back of rear seat/boot
3. Any other possible location?

Is the choice user dependent or car dependent?

Any inherent (dis)advantages of Option 1 and 2? (apart from the stealth install advantage)
1) Passenger may stamp on it; Issues with water getting in; more dust
2) better ventilation; ease of fixing;
Old 28th March 2008, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMHO behind the rear seat, or on the wall of the boot, or on the floor of the boot (under a false floor) would be the best options.

Under the driver/shotgun seat will mean unnecessary exposure to dust and moisture.
Old 28th March 2008, 17:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
IMHO behind the rear seat, or on the wall of the boot, or on the floor of the boot (under a false floor) would be the best options.

Under the driver/shotgun seat will mean unnecessary exposure to dust and moisture.
I agree. In the boot the amp will be more secure and away from dust.
Old 29th March 2008, 19:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

6x9 speakers and amplifier question

I went to a shop today to audition some 6x9 speakers. He had the usual suspects but recommended me some more brands, which he can get but were not fitted on demo board/car. These are:

1. Audible Dynamics (INR 3,800)

2. Polk Audio (2 models - INR 6,000 and INR 4,500)

Has anyone heard/installed either of these brands? Any feedback on their bass (w.o a subwoofer i.e.) vis-a-vis JBL 937 (INR 2,750) and Ground Zero model (INR 4,900)?

Also, he showed me a Pioneer 4 channel amplifier (I forgot the model number), which was around 6k. Now, from what I have read on the forum, not many people recommend Pioneer amplifiers. Instead, one reads about Kenwood KAC series in the same price range (actually lesser price) as a better substitute.

Any feedback on the above mentioned amp would be greatly appreciated too!
Old 29th March 2008, 20:55   #6
BHPian

I auditioned the audible dynamics speakers in their demo car, to be honest i didnt find them impressive.

I have also listened to polk audio speakers in somebody's car. Too bright for my taste.

About the Gz/JBLs. i cannot compare because i auditioned the 937s on a demo board and the GZ speakers are fitted in my car.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: The audible dynamics demo car was at FM drive. Ask pankajbhai to arrange a demo for you.

Last edited by adityamunshi : 29th March 2008 at 21:02.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have polks (components up front, 6x9s at the rear) in my OHC powered by a JBL amp. Not as bright as JBLs - and with some settings very decent for most kinds of music.
Old 30th March 2008, 00:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

I got the model no for the amplifier. Its Pioneer 6300F. The product link for the same is GM-6300F

Has anybody used it or heard of it?
Old 30th March 2008, 12:21   #9
BHPian

if you are looking for an alternative to a sub then IMHO do not look further than the Ground Zeros!
im actually thinking of mating EL 6.1 with the GZ MK2 690 ' s ( both are completely different -one laid back and crisp and the other dyanmic - however i feel it this combo really sounds good when theres no sub
Old 30th March 2008, 16:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I have polks (components up front, 6x9s at the rear) in my OHC powered by a JBL amp. Not as bright as JBLs - and with some settings very decent for most kinds of music.
Which ones dBs or momos? I have heard momos and JBL GTOs and IMO, Polks are way brighter than JBLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I got the model no for the amplifier. Its Pioneer 6300F. The product link for the same is GM-6300F

Has anybody used it or heard of it?
I had the opportunity of tuning this amplifier and I was disappointed. I had to almost go up to maximum gains for a pair of components. It is overrated IMO.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Which ones dBs or momos? I have heard momos and JBL GTOs and IMO, Polks are way brighter than JBLs.
dbs. Have not heard the momos. Have a CS60.4 driving the speakers and sounds pretty good. The JBLs did sound bright to me. Hertz was really good, but my installer insisted on Polk and I went along, and was not disappointed with the sound.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amplifier related question

Question 1:
I wish to go for a 4 channel amplifier to drive front components and rear 6x9s.

Looking at the models in the budget price range on the forum, I shortlisted these amps:

1. Kenwood KAC 8401 (Rs ~5K)
2. Blaupunkt GTA 480 (Rs ~6K)

I am not too keen on Sony or Pioneer amps, as I have not come across good reviews for them (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Are there any other models of 4 channel amp upto Rs 5-6K?

Question 2:
Alternatively, can someone please also help me in deciding if a 2 channel would suffice for front components? In this case, would 6x9 work well running off the HU?

Or, is a 4 channel amp is almost mandatory in my planned setup (I don't have a sub-woofer and don't intend on getting one)

In this case, please list some budget 2 channel amps with prices?

Planned setup:
HU: Pioneer 5050
Front: Illusion Electra 6.1
6x9: Not decided, but contemplating between Ground Zero GZTF 69T or Hertz Deici DCX 690

P.S.: Amplifier is basically the bottleneck in my decision making process at present

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 31st March 2008 at 15:50.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you can stretch your budget to around 8K, you can get a JBL GT5 A604 four channel amp. I would prefer this to the amps you listed.

If you are looking for front sound stage with the rear only used as fills, you can as well get a 2 channel amp with the rear run off the HU.

You have told you don't intend to get a sub, but let me add that a sub really makes a world of difference by bringing out the lows. Think about it. In this case you can get a 4 channel amp, run the front components using 2 channels and bridge the other 2 channels to power the sub.. The HU can run the rear fills.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:07   #14
BHPian

I remember someone on this forum saying he got the JBL A604 for 6.5 k
Old 31st March 2008, 16:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

@dinu, actually I am not too fond of boomy bass and boot space is somewhat important as well. Couple these with budget priorities, and out goes a sub from my planned setup

That was one reason why I liked the GZ 6x9. Even without sub woofer, they produced decent bass to my liking.

To answer your question, I am looking at 6x9 to complete the sound stage at the rear. I assume (and so I have been told) that components upfront will not be able to reproduce the entire sound (esp the bass).

As regards the listening position, I am driving the car 90% of the time so will surely prefer the sound stage upfront.

Will the 6x9s running off HU be able to produce sufficient bass? Or, let me put in another way, does an amplifier running 6x9s produce better bass vis-a-vis HU running them? (Through more juice, or maybe some settings on the amp?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks