Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 22:43   #106
BHPian

Re: Car pc for Safari

Sorry bro its been 5 years since i built the pc, don't have/remember the details. U can make the ir learn output signals of the remote and then map it to keyboard shortcuts. Centrafuse any version will do, even road runner works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Sorry for back to back query, but could you post the schematic of the IR receiver. Also, from where did you get the stereo remote definition file for working it with pc? Thanks again.

P.S: An update on my PC status, the cabinet took along time to get fabricate. I used acrylic sheets. The cabinet is ready and all the components have been fitted and tested. I have installed Win XP and Centrafuse (Please advise which version?). As for now I have to just fit the PC in the car with wire routing.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IMHO the Intel board with Atom 525 will perform better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
Hey , PC is absolutely fine, works like a charm. Wires are routed under the carpeting, and dont have any pics as it was quite sometime back. Yep Active USB is required to use USB at 5+ meter lengths.
Thanks alot guys. I have successfully installed the PC in my Safari. Though there is a problem, if I connect the USB hub then the display does'nt comes or you can say that the PC does'nt starts\boots. What might be the problem, the USB hub is powered one, but I have not powered it yet.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:47   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised
... if I connect the USB hub then the display does'nt comes or you can say that the PC does'nt starts\boots. ...
1. First check if the MB LED goes off when you connect the hub. If so, there is a hardware problem

2. The other possibility - a really funny one - is: if your BIOS boot sequence has removable disk at no.1 spot, and the BIOS / MB is not able to resolve the hub PnP, the MB will just stop there waiting for some response to come from it

As I had said, you should have tried it at home with a mains PSU before putting it in the car - far less variables to suspect.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. First check if the MB LED goes off when you connect the hub. If so, there is a hardware problem

2. The other possibility - a really funny one - is: if your BIOS boot sequence has removable disk at no.1 spot, and the BIOS / MB is not able to resolve the hub PnP, the MB will just stop there waiting for some response to come from it

As I had said, you should have tried it at home with a mains PSU before putting it in the car - far less variables to suspect.
Thanks for the reply. The problem got solved, it was due to 2 separate switches (one that I added for direct 12V supply and one in the ignition line).

BTW, I will be posting a new thread by that time can anyone tell me what is the procedure to get the GPS running in the car, what all things I need and under cheapest possible rates. Will be posting the snaps in short time.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:32   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 2 separate switches (one that I added for direct 12V supply and one in the ignition line).

... what is the procedure to get the GPS running in the car, what all things I need and under cheapest possible rates. ...
Huh? Why a switch in the ignition line?

For navigation, you will need the following:
1. Navigation software and maps. I have used Garmin for PC (Win 7) with Garmin India map

2. A GPS receiver (looks like a matchbox, slightly bigger). Holux is good. If your PC has built-in BT, go for the BT version of the receiver, else get a USB version. Either should be ~2K. Comes with it's own driver. Mount the receiver where the dashboard touches the windshield near the A-pilar, or just behind the dark portion of the windshield at the top near the A-pillar
Old 4th December 2012, 14:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Huh? Why a switch in the ignition line?

For navigation, you will need the following:
1. Navigation software and maps. I have used Garmin for PC (Win 7) with Garmin India map

2. A GPS receiver (looks like a matchbox, slightly bigger). Holux is good. If your PC has built-in BT, go for the BT version of the receiver, else get a USB version. Either should be ~2K. Comes with it's own driver. Mount the receiver where the dashboard touches the windshield near the A-pilar, or just behind the dark portion of the windshield at the top near the A-pillar
Ignition switch just for peace of mind, mind is a idiot it comes up with a new thought every now and then.

1) Can you explain where should I get maps, is there any application specifically made for pc by garmin which contains maps too? Or can I use google maps, if yes then how to?

2) Thanks, will it make any difference if a antenna is also attached separately to the receiver, I am asking this as I have found a few of antennas while searching for gps receivers online. I could'nt find any of the GPS receivers under even 2.5K. I think I will have to wait and save more money.

P.S.: How is this: http://geb.ebay.in/g/New-TomTom-MKII...d=130686125182
Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 4th December 2012 at 14:17.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Can you explain where should I get maps, ...

2) Thanks, will it make any difference if a antenna is also attached separately to the receiver, ...

P.S.: How is this: ...
* Google maps will require you to have an always-on Internet connection in the car. I have tried with Reliance and BSNL 3G dongles, connectivity is still dicey on the road. Out of town, one gets only EDGE - which is sometimes irritatingly slow

* Garmin Mobile PC software. You can buy Garmin India map at the same site

* Holux M-1000 or M-215 GPS receivers are the reference usually - ~3.5K on ebay.in. Cheaper ones like Jentro are available for 2K or a "USB 65" for 2.7K. I use an M-1000

* Not sure what you meant by an antenna in this context. The cheaper receivers don't have an antenna socket. The antennas for the other ones are costlier than the receiver itself! If you keep the receiver near the windshield or even somewhere on the dashboard, you won't need an antenna. If you keep it in the glovebox, it takes a bit longer to get a fix - but it works

* The TomTom receiver seems a good deal at that price, though it is BT *only* and it doesn't come with cables or charger. That shouldn't be a big problem - any mobile phone car charger (5V output) should be able to charge it, as long as the plug is the right size. Since it gives NEMA output, it doesn't seem to be locked to TomTom software. Not sure, but you might need GPSGate utility to interface to it (for virtual COM ports)
Old 4th December 2012, 19:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* Google maps will require you to have an always-on Internet connection in the car. I have tried with Reliance and BSNL 3G dongles, connectivity is still dicey on the road. Out of town, one gets only EDGE - which is sometimes irritatingly slow
Thanks for the information, I will be going in for one of those or globalsat gps receiver. Just another question came to my mind (as I said mind is a stupid fella!). How do I connect the reverse camera (basically I have a USB webcam and thinking of using it). It will do the job but how to automatically make the monitor switch to webcam o/p when the reverse is engaged? Will I need to give the inputs to the RCA i/p of monitor, if so then I must buy a new camera with RCA o/p? Sorry for the unending queries.

Last edited by mercedised : 4th December 2012 at 19:37.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... How do I connect the reverse camera (basically I have a USB webcam and thinking of using it). It will do the job but how to automatically make the monitor switch to webcam o/p when the reverse is engaged? Will I need to give the inputs to the RCA i/p of monitor, if so then I must buy a new camera with RCA o/p? ...
* A webcam will ONLY operate through the USB, and will play in a separate player. Accounting for the Reverse signal is complex enough - you will need additional hardware to handle it as a logic signal, which can be wired in software to get the player to foreground. Effectively, the USB webcam and player will be always on - when you put Reverse gear, the player will appear in foreground

* Most touchscreen monitors that accept video feed (yellow socket), don't come with the input for automatically switching to it - one switches manually with the front plate button. Check whether your monitor has a dedicated input (5V or 12V input) where you can connect the Reverse signal. If you haven't bought the monitor, get one with that input (confirm before buying)
And yes, you will have to buy a conventional Reversing camera anyhow if you want to connect it to the monitor directly
Old 5th December 2012, 15:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* A webcam will ONLY operate through the USB, and will play in a separate player. Accounting for the Reverse signal is complex enough - you will need additional hardware to handle it as a logic signal, which can be wired in software to get the player to foreground. Effectively, the USB webcam and player will be always on - when you put Reverse gear, the player will appear in foreground
Yes my monitor does have auto switching function (a dedicated 12V wire for it is provided). I will 1st do an trial and error with the existing webcam and see if it serves the purpose (acceptable wide angle), if not then the upgrade will be in steps. My 1st priority right now is of GPS receiver. BTW, all the things are in their place and running effectively. I have installed a fan and modified the rear seat a little bit to accommodate the place for free air for fan. BTW, should I use High contrast scheme in day for win xp? (as the sunlight sometimes makes it impossible to see. The monitor is rated at a very low 300 sq cd )
Old 5th December 2012, 15:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... BTW, all the things are in their place and running effectively. ... should I use High contrast scheme in day for win xp? (as the sunlight sometimes makes it impossible to see. The monitor is rated at a very low 300 sq cd )
Congratulations!

High contrast scheme won't help. Tilt the monitor till the glare is minimum for you in the driver's seat. And PLEASE DON'T try to run a program when you are driving the car.

The objective is NOT TO look at the monitor - you will be putting yourself and others in danger if you get the habit. When you get navigation running, you will realize it is easier to just listen to the spoken direction, rather than looking at the map. To look at the map, stop somewhere so that you can look at it properly. It is better if you get a software like Centrafuse, which will bring all frequently used functions to a single neat UI, and you will not need to access Windows for anything.

For playing audio, it is better that you have playlists (or at least random play enabled) which will continue to play without needing your intervention. If you are playing video, make sure you are not looking at it.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 16:13   #117
BHPian

Other than the wonderful advice DerAlte has given - there is one more thing - Webcams don't give you wide angle of vision. For security and reverse viewing - you need a camera with a wide angle view. You would be better off with a reverse view camera than any other camera. And while you are at it, you need additional illumination in the night. Safari's reverse light is not enough to see in the dark.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 16:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Mounted in the rear bumper position, webcams do give a decent field of view. The problem usually is of how to mount it (mechanically). An alternate location is just below the top edge of the rear door (inside the car), looking down at ~45deg. Purpose built reversing camera is definitely better.

No, I don't think additional illumination is needed (Safari has TWO sets of lights at the back - one white reversing, and one red assist). Both webcams and reversing cams are decently IR sensitive, so one can switch the red ones on also. Very low light produces grainy picture, but one can definitely make out what is behind.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:19   #119
BHPian

My experience is different. I have a reverse camera mounted in the rear bumper at the usual place. The reverse camera 'sees' the 2 sides well or else maneuvering the car into a tight space will be problematic. With my system - during the day time, I can reverse safely just by looking at the monitor alone.
But during the night, this camera becomes blind. I am forced to use the mirrors. This camera has a sensitivity of minimum 10 lux - which I think is typical for such cameras. This is the reason I plan to add a bank of IR LEDs to augment the illumination.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

Different cameras have different sensitivity. Mine works decently with the reversing light only, although the picture is quite grainy. Some cameras have a set IR LEDs around it. Good idea that, IR LEDs will improve your situation.

For checking for side clearance, I use the ORVMs, not the camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks