Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 14:31   #16
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Congrats buddy! Diy have begun? Keep us updated with pic's
Yeah man ! Still waiting for the RCA. Will finish it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You have to use correct type so that you need to alter the amp terminal. One would require this tool to crimp them properly to get the best use of the thimble else it would not function properly. In this wire will not hold in the thimble and will come out resulting in loose connection and it might result in some major consequences like fire, amp damage etc...
Thanks for the info man.

Well I'd say my results are more like inbetween the two cases you demonstrated. In fact pretty much inclined towards the rigid ones.

The first two tries were not very good but the last four are pretty close to a professional fit Will post the pics tomorrow. And I just used a knife, a hammer and a plier. DIY Yeah !

Old 24th February 2009, 15:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Yeah man. Using them. I didnt know that those things are called thimbles.

Had a hard time fixing them on wires. And they a little big for the amp. I had to break small chips of the bakelite body, at the amp, in order to accomodate them.
Are you using the thimbles which came with the kit ?
Old 24th February 2009, 15:44   #18
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Are you using the thimbles which came with the kit ?
yeah. You can see them in the pics. Will post the closeup pics tomorrow.

Old 24th February 2009, 18:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

You should not have altered the amplifier connector bakelites. its there for preventing short circuits. the thimble or lug should have been filed on sides to fix it. you can also reduce the number of strand at the connection to fix suitable lug as per the size of amplifier connector. hope you have installed fuse at the correct position in the power cable as per position available in car to mount it. don't leave excess wire loops around.

you should have measured the cable before cutting. position the fuse block securely on the firewall structure first using screws. then redo the smaller wire to battery accordingly. An other option is to tie the wire on both side of fuse to the battery hold down rod, thats not so professional. post a picture of car with bonnet open for suggestion for suitable location.
once the amplifier is installed permanently apply silicon compound on the terminals to secure them. you will not have loosening issues.

Last edited by gigy : 24th February 2009 at 18:58.
Old 24th February 2009, 18:47   #20
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
You should not have altered the amplifier connector bakelites. its there for preventing short circuits. the thimble or lug should have been filed on sides to fix it. you can also educe the number of strand at the connection to fix suitable lug as per the size of amplifier connector. hope you have installed fuse at the correct position in the power cable as per position available in car to mount it. don't leave excess wire loops around.
yeah man, I understand that. But While I was trying to force one into the bakelite fixture, it broke off. And I did the same to the other end manually

Actually I checked the spoacing between the ground and the power connectors. They are at a safe distance. Will add something in between for more safety. Again the wire connections are covered with insulation so there are no chances of intermingling.

About the fuseblock, its just hanging right now, in the air. I didnt find any place to fix it.

Any suggestions on this ?

Old 24th February 2009, 19:06   #21
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
post a picture of car with bonnet open for suggestion for suitable location.
yeah, will do that tomorrow.

Quote:
once the amplifier is installed permanently apply silicon compound on the terminals to secure them. you will not have loosening issues.
That sounds pretty nice idea. Any idea about the cost of that thing ?

Old 24th February 2009, 19:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nitin if you are using the thimbles which came with the kit i don't think there should be any problem. 8401 easily takes 4GA and i have used the same power kit in two 8401's.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:11   #23
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Nitin if you are using the thimbles which came with the kit i don't think there should be any problem. 8401 easily takes 4GA and i have used the same power kit in two 8401's.
man the ones in my kit were little bigger than the allowable space in the Amp's bakelite bracket. But no worries, the things are good now.

All done now. Just need to know where to fix the Ground cable. I dont have the right set of spanner to loosen up the bolts and fix it. Also I do not have a new screw/bolt to put in a new hole. This will be problem for tomorrows task. Might have to visit some installer to get that fixed. Let us see.

Old 24th February 2009, 23:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Have you fixed the amplifier? wire the ground wire as shot as possible and fix it to structure. If in boot make a hole with a punch and use nut and bolt with washers to fix it. remove paint around the hole using sand paper.after tightening apply silicon/paint around it to prevent corrosion.
Old 25th February 2009, 09:20   #25
nitin.dangayach

Bad news.

I fitted everything, power, ground, signal, rca cables.

Now when i start my HU, the amp is not working :(

I checked, all connections are fine, fuse is fine.

What could be the issue? Any insights?

Old 25th February 2009, 09:31   #26
BHPian

If you have a DMM check if current is flowing through power & remote turn on cable.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hear that Nitin, there could be two main culprits.. Power wire or remote wire.. check them again!
Old 25th February 2009, 12:13   #28
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
If you have a DMM check if current is flowing through power & remote turn on cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
sorry to hear that Nitin, there could be two main culprits.. Power wire or remote wire.. check them again!
Thanks for the inputs guys. And special thanks to NoidaBoy. The thing is finally working and I am pretty happy. Wont tune it up today since I am waiting for my another RCA.

Will wind up the things tomorrow. Had to leave the proceeding in between due to some other work.

But trust me, its an awesome feeling that you have done it yourself.

Will comment on the Amp's output tomorrow.

Old 25th February 2009, 12:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now when i start my HU, the amp is not working :(

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs guys. And special thanks to NoidaBoy. The thing is finally working and I am pretty happy. Wont tune it up today since I am waiting for my another RCA.
What was the issue that amp was not powering up ?

Again change the signature now

Don't forget to post the pics specially thimbles one.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:34   #30
nitin.dangayach

Sure man. Will do that tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks