Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 19:15   #31
BHPian

Great DIY Shreyas. Just a Q though. Don't you feel that the pods will foul with the legs once fitted?
Old 16th May 2009, 20:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
... This is the first layer of body filler. Looks pathetic to me
I have applied the second layer and let it to dry completely. The project resumes in the morning with more sanding, painting fitting. ...
Looking good already.

The body filler was too thick already when you applied it. As the name says, it should 'fill' all the surface unevenness. If you use very small quantities every time you pick up filler with the scraper, the scraper will ride on the high points of the surface and press the filler in the gap. If you pick too much, you will apply dollops and create more sanding work for yourself. Don't apply too much pressure on the scraper while applying the filler.

Use a wooden block to support the emery paper - it will cut better and get you a uniform surface. For the crevices, use a thin round stick to back the paper.

Scrape away more filler near the edges. Filler is brittle - thick bits near edges tend to chip off over time.

2 layers on the obverse side of the door pad should be enough to create the stiffness you need. No point in adding weight. See if you can manage some thin polyester rods or alu T or U profiles. If you stick them with super-glue before putting on FG, you will get better dimensional stability and stiffness. Put the FG over the stiffener to form a ridge.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:38   #33
BHPian

This is some great DIY stuff. Eagerly hooked to this thread now.

Quote:
I am very much in hurry to finish the project as I am hating to drive with out the front stage.

Anyone wants to help??
Help? As in taking pictures? I can surely do that if you stay somewhere near BSK or Jayanagar.

Quote:
Made the crossover housing in cardboard. I didnt want wood . Notice the gap at the base. We will not have a sealed enclosure if I dont fibreglass. I am looking at little perfection and quality in sound.
I too have Polk Momo components for my front stage (the 6.5" ones). As far as I understand they are designed for a door install (and not a small sealed enclosure). I will surely like to audition this setup if you allow me.
Old 17th May 2009, 16:40   #34
BHPian

Completed the pod as planned. Sorry folks, couldtnt update the thread yesterday as I headed directly to a party.

Well, I finished sanding by afternoon and started to get the pods painted.

On the way, a new idea struck me and I went to the upholstery guy instead of the painter. Selected some white art leather to match the body colour of the car. He he wrapped the pod in it for me. Price: Rs 200 for both pods)

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_17.3302.jpg

Came back home and stuck some rubber mat on the back of the pod to give some cusion. This also helps in eliminating any vibration of the pods when fitted.

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_17.34.jpg

Made holes on the doorpads using the template I had created earlier (Not able to fing the pic i took). Mounted the pod. Notice how the screws come out from the holes. Used a washer and nut to tighten it in place.

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_18.27.jpg

Finally, This is how it looks

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_20.0801.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_20.08.jpg

This is how it looks in the car. Will post some better quality day pics soon.

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_20.41.jpg

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-p160509_20.4101.jpg

There is absolutely no vibration in the door pads anymore. Its just crystal clear music.
This means no FG damping for the doors and this means still have all materials left over.

Hence, the project is not yet over.......

Last edited by shreyasma : 17th May 2009 at 16:42.
Old 17th May 2009, 16:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

looks good shreyas !!

now damp the boot with left over material
Old 17th May 2009, 16:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Help? As in taking pictures? I can surely do that if you stay somewhere near BSK or Jayanagar.

I too have Polk Momo components for my front stage (the 6.5" ones). As far as I understand they are designed for a door install (and not a small sealed enclosure). I will surely like to audition this setup if you allow me.
Thanks for the offer.

The comps is the doors were louder. But in the pod, it sounds more clear and tight. You can audition my setup any time you feel like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Great DIY Shreyas. Just a Q though. Don't you feel that the pods will foul with the legs once fitted?
It all depends on the seat adjustment. One of my friends (6.2 feet tall) drove the car yesterday without problems. Before deciding the place for the pod, I had taken measurements to make sure everything is alright.
Old 17th May 2009, 17:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

great finally your work is finished it looks like, how will you cover it with paint or some cloth, is it the pic that making it look like that the edges are not perfectly round, but the over all work is fantastic.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice work shreya, are going to cover the mount? looks good. Now I am temped to try my hands at doing FG stuff for my car.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:35   #39
BHPian

Wow, this really awesome, congratulations, was just waiting for it to get over, so that i could congrate you.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
great finally your work is finished it looks like, how will you cover it with paint or some cloth, is it the pic that making it look like that the edges are not perfectly round, but the over all work is fantastic.
yes the edges are not perfectly round because the cavity in the door pad isn't. I made the pod exactly to sit in the cavity of the door pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Nice work shreya, are going to cover the mount? looks good. Now I am temped to try my hands at doing FG stuff for my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Wow, this really awesome, congratulations, was just waiting for it to get over, so that i could congrate you.
The pods are already covered with art leather. So..the pods part of the project is marked 'Completed'. I am thinking of more to be done. Will disclose when I finalize.

Last edited by shreyasma : 17th May 2009 at 22:47.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great work, Shreyas! The final product looks great!

Good call on the art. leather covering. Painting the pods would have been pretty much a lot of additional work, with all the extra sanding and additional filler work.

I'd personally have preferred to use art. leather of a colour more in sync. with the colour of the door-pads (so the irregularities of the edges get masked). But do post pics of the car showing the seats also. Maybe white does looks better when we see the entire interior of the car. And lots of luck keeping them clean
Old 18th May 2009, 10:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Shabash, Shreyas, looks fantastic.

Quote:
... The comps is the doors were louder. But in the pod, it sounds more clear and tight. ...
It would. Since the air volume behind the driver is reduced now in your 'sealed' box, much of the low end of the mid-bass would be suppressed. If ever you want the bass back, cut a hole in the back of the pod as well as in the doorpad.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
But do post pics of the car showing the seats also. Maybe white does looks better when we see the entire interior of the car. And lots of luck keeping them clean
I will post pics in sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Shabash, Shreyas, looks fantastic.

It would. Since the air volume behind the driver is reduced now in your 'sealed' box, much of the low end of the mid-bass would be suppressed. If ever you want the bass back, cut a hole in the back of the pod as well as in the doorpad.
I really dont need too much bass as the sub takes care of it. I have actually got the exact effect I wanted. And today, the normal 2 hours of commuting to office was a pleasure than pain.

Man! your signature has motivated me more. Now something at the back of my mind saying the rear fills also need the FG treatment

Last edited by shreyasma : 18th May 2009 at 11:08.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:29   #44
BHPian

Here are some good quality pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-dsc03653.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-dsc03654.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-dsc03655.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-dsc03658.jpg  

My White Horse - Project BLING! BLING! BLING! - DIY ICE for Zen-dsc03657.jpg  

Old 18th May 2009, 18:20   #45
BHPian

It has turned out really well. Congratulations !!!

Quote:
You can audition my setup any time you feel like.
I will call you some day and drop by.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks