Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 10:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

LOL @dhams, check out the 'pin'-like jack that is at the other end of the headset that came with your phone. The jack on this cable should be a 3-segment jack whose diameter should be the same as the phone headset jack. The phone headset has a 4 segment jack since it also has the microphone contact.

Edit: A-ha!*Tubelight flashing* Which phone do you have? Some phones, like some of the HTC WiMo and models, don't have a headphone jack (2.5 or 3.5mm dia). The headphone connection pins are connected at the mini-USB connector or the cradle connector, and one needs an adapter to connect a headphone to the phone.

All other phones, and all PMPs / iPods, come with a hole (socket) at the top or left-side-top into which the headphone goes.

Its Clarion's small brother with +bonus! ( Clarion 576 usb )-headphone-socket.jpg

Last edited by DerAlte : 30th January 2010 at 11:03.
Old 30th January 2010, 14:15   #32
BANNED

oila!. My sony ericsson W810i do not have such 'pin' like jack. Hmm, let me invite my headphone adapter (at half way) to welcome(!) in one of RCA cable pin into it and then other two RCA plug needs to insert in HU socket (that 7,8) to make perfect mating!
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:09   #33
BANNED

Finally, my mobile married with HU by using 3 pin connector, credit goes to DerAlte..Thanks.

Some observations & queries noted:- (may be noobie questions!)

1. Sound coming out is less in Aux-in mode comparing to USB or CD option. The difference would be +4/5 i.e. need to raise 4/5 plus volume in aux in mode to match with same sound level while in usb or cd option. Is this normal? why this happens?

2. Idea flashing in mind after watching direct sub woofer RCA. can I plug any good sub woofer directly to this s/w output RCA without amplifier? Is this justify to real pleasure of low frequency sound against conventional sub woofer run by amplifier?
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

1. Volume difference - quite normal, it happens because the strength of the signal in each of these sources is different. You can use the volume control in the mobile to correct it a bit

2. One needs to practically try it out with a small, sensitive sub - just to check if the bass thus produced is sufficient. Intuitively, no - not enough power in the HU amp to produce decently loud bass
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:10   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
2. One needs to practically try it out with a small, sensitive sub - just to check if the bass thus produced is sufficient. Intuitively, no - not enough power in the HU amp to produce decently loud bass
Interesting, which small & sensitive subs (brand,model) then should I take audition?
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:48   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
Interesting, which small & sensitive subs (brand,model) then should I take audition?
a small, sensitive, subwoofer? the laws of physices say it cant be done!

If space is a constraint, you can get a small sub (ID makes a 12" that fits in less than 1 cu. ft), and muscle it with a 300W monoblock. If you need something that is small and sensitive, sacrifice the last octave (20-40Hz) and there are many 8" woofers that will do this job. You will get a nice thump but rumbling bass.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:01   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Finally, my mobile married with HU by using 3 pin connector, credit goes to DerAlte..Thanks.

Some observations & queries noted:- (may be noobie questions!)

2. Idea flashing in mind after watching direct sub woofer RCA. can I plug any good sub woofer directly to this s/w output RCA without amplifier? Is this justify to real pleasure of low frequency sound against conventional sub woofer run by amplifier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
a small, sensitive, subwoofer? the laws of physices say it cant be done!

If space is a constraint, you can get a small sub (ID makes a 12" that fits in less than 1 cu. ft), and muscle it with a 300W monoblock. If you need something that is small and sensitive, sacrifice the last octave (20-40Hz) and there are many 8" woofers that will do this job. You will get a nice thump but rumbling bass.
@Navin, thanks for exclusive comment. but I am talking about 2. as listed above. Do we on same platform?

Last edited by Dhams : 2nd February 2010 at 17:03.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:35   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Expert, pl share your purview/experience to choose proven brand of tiny subwoofer speaker. Idea is to active separate s/w channel given in HU and gets VFM spent. Yes, I am talking about to manage the show without amplifier. May be .

(i listen front THx401 4" 2wcox with decent Blau.GTx693 (6x9) rear and satisfied. I'm wondering if i can effectively use separate subw. along with above setup)
Old 4th February 2010, 11:23   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Navin, thanks for exclusive comment. but I am talking about 2. as listed above. Do we on same platform?
You cannot drive a woofer from a RCA output. RCA output expects 10kohms and puts out a maximum of 2V.

What ou need is a integrated amp-subwoofer combo like Infinity's Basslink models.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:29   #40
BANNED

thanks for input navin. Does infinity basslink would be more enjoyable with OR in place of GTx693(rear 6x9 on parcel tray)?
Old 4th February 2010, 13:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You cannot drive a woofer from a RCA output. RCA output expects 10kohms and puts out a maximum of 2V. ...
Navin, unbelievable as it may sound, this one seems to support a subwoofer connected directly. Check the wiring diagram in the PDF file @dhams has put in a previous post on this thread. This arrangement is same as some Pioneer units.

Couldn't find anywhere how much power can be put out over that connection, but definitely it is not a line-level signal to RCA socket 5 & 6. The line level signal for an external amplified sub is selectable (Sub-out; as an alt to Rear out) over the RCA sockets 3 & 4!
Old 5th February 2010, 09:52   #42
BANNED

@navin:- pl find again here. Regretful on not providing earlier in my previous post to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring diagram Clarion 576.pdf (320.2 KB, 392 views)
Old 5th February 2010, 13:22   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin, unbelievable as it may sound, this one seems to support a subwoofer connected directly. Check the wiring diagram in the PDF file @dhams has put in a previous post on this thread. This arrangement is same as some Pioneer units.

Couldn't find anywhere how much power can be put out over that connection, but definitely it is not a line-level signal to RCA socket 5 & 6. The line level signal for an external amplified sub is selectable (Sub-out; as an alt to Rear out) over the RCA sockets 3 & 4!
Clarion Australia | DXZ576USB

the power IC chip inside the 576 has a limited capacity
Power output (DIN45324, +B = 14.4 V) 4 × 25 W
22 W✕4, into 4Ω, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 1% THD

I suspect that by allowing you to connect a subwoofer to channels 3&4 they (Clarion) are suggesting that a subwoofer can be directly be connected but that a subwoofer amplifer can be connected and the HPF/LPF filters can be used to direct LPF sound to channels 3&4 and HPF to channels 1&2.
Old 6th February 2010, 10:16   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
I suspect that by allowing you to connect a subwoofer to channels 3&4
@navin:
Error:-target is channel 5&6, not 1-2-3-4 (via external amplifier to subwoofer)
Old 6th February 2010, 10:32   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@navin:
Error:-target is channel 5&6, not 1-2-3-4 (via external amplifier to subwoofer)
I believe channel 5 is for subwoofer and channel 6 is for center speaker (or maybe it is the other way around but I remember that this HU could accomodate a center speaker).

Both channels are line level only (nominal 6V). You will need an amplifier to use these channels to power any speaker (subwoofer or 6x9).

Most Viewed