Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2005, 23:38   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
Gulp! I own a Sony CDX 3300 and it's giving exactly the same problem .... Moser Baer CDs and all!

I used to use Sprint CDs and they worked fine... then one day I bought a batch of Moser Baers and 4/5 CDs I have written dont work in the car and even the 5th one works only occasionally.

I thought that it was something to do with the humidity levels... I noticed that the player reads CDs better on a cool dry day and hardly plays anything on a cold rainy and humid day. Also, the player tends to skip more when it gets hot on a hot day without the AC running.

For me it is a double whammy! I have a Sony CD writer at home and it has been acting up too! I guess I will be visiting a Sony service center soon.

- T u r b o C -
I think Sony guys do not like Moser Baer and their lens is Intelligent enough to recognize and understand that It doesn't hv to read any Moser Baer CDs. However, Please bear in mind that Moser Baer is the largest CD manufacturer around and according to me they make the best CDs.

Last edited by zzzehar : 8th September 2005 at 23:40.
Old 9th September 2005, 00:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
I think Sony guys do not like Moser Baer and their lens is Intelligent enough to recognize and understand that It doesn't hv to read any Moser Baer CDs. However, Please bear in mind that Moser Baer is the largest CD manufacturer around and according to me they make the best CDs.

zzzehar
after reading posts like this i wonder if its worth getting the 5510 or should i stick with the jvc itself.but for the features and price the sony is much better just scared of how it will react to different types of cds i jsut bought a pack of 100 eurovision cds.wonder if it will read that.the thing is when i go cheak it out at the shop it may play but will it continue to do so after a couple of months.thats my biggest worry and that too since we arent getting the warranty...makes me wonder if its worth it.

rev
Old 9th September 2005, 00:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
zzzehar
after reading posts like this i wonder if its worth getting the 5510 or should i stick with the jvc itself.but for the features and price the sony is much better just scared of how it will react to different types of cds i jsut bought a pack of 100 eurovision cds.wonder if it will read that.the thing is when i go cheak it out at the shop it may play but will it continue to do so after a couple of months.thats my biggest worry and that too since we arent getting the warranty...makes me wonder if its worth it.

rev
Its quite natural & obvious for us to worry, however lets see what I get. I am gonna shake It real hard to check for any skips and play the most scratched CDs I hv. Then decide.

If your JVC is working fine, My advice is to stick with it and spend money on something else.

Last edited by zzzehar : 9th September 2005 at 00:24.
Old 9th September 2005, 00:30   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well guys if ur that worried then rest assured that there is no such problem whatsoever aleast with my HU..all the cds that i have compiled by myself are on sonys and moserbaers and thats like 20 or 30cds in the last 3 months in all types of formats .wma,mp3..no problem whatsoever..not even a single cd has had any problems being played by the HU..well there are a few points to keep in mind while writing a cd,will post it in a few minutes..long post so got to type now..just give me sometime and il post it for u both..hope either of u were at bangy,would have showed u that the HU plays the moserbaers perfectly fine(some of the old ones are pretty scratched too)but hencefar no probs..
Old 9th September 2005, 00:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its quite natural & obvious for us to worry, however lets see what I get. I am gonna shake It real hard to check for any skips and play the most scratched CDs I hv. Then decide.

If your JVC is working fine, My advice is to stick with it and spend money on something else.

ok i will be waiting for your reply.im finally coming back to bombay tommorrow so if i am changing it i will so it as soon as possible mostly saturday or maybe sunday.so let me know as soon as you can.
thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well guys if ur that worried then rest assured that there is no such problem whatsoever aleast with my HU..all the cds that i have compiled by myself are on sonys and moserbaers and thats like 20 or 30cds in the last 3 months in all types of formats .wma,mp3..no problem whatsoever..not even a single cd has had any problems being played by the HU..well there are a few points to keep in mind while writing a cd,will post it in a few minutes..long post so got to type now..just give me sometime and il post it for u both..hope either of u were at bangy,would have showed u that the HU plays the moserbaers perfectly fine(some of the old ones are pretty scratched too)but hencefar no probs..

after hearing that it seems ok to go in for the sony but have you tried any eurovision cds because lately i have been using a lot of those.

and guys do you think i should trade in my jvc head unit for the sony one with more tweekin options as zzzehar said but without bill .

rev
Old 9th September 2005, 00:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
and guys do you think i should trade in my jvc head unit for the sony one with more tweekin options as zzzehar said but without bill .

rev
Assuming that your JVC unit is also without warranty, If you get good money for it, Got for Sony 5510. Or Else stick with it and spend some on upgrades to empower your JVC.
Old 9th September 2005, 00:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming that your JVC unit is also without warranty, If you get good money for it, Got for Sony 5510. Or Else stick with it and spend some on upgrades to empower your JVC.

jvc is with bill if im not mistaken i will get about 3000 as it is only a week old.

Rev
Old 9th September 2005, 01:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
jvc is with bill if im not mistaken i will get about 3000 as it is only a week old.

Rev
For how much did you get your JVC with B&W for? If It costed you more than Sony 5510 which is going to be without B&W, I would say stick with it.

And If you think Its hard to convince you to stay with JVC, Listen to Sony 5510 with the same set of Speakers and then decide for yourself as to which one sounds better, and please bear in mind that the Sony is without B&W whereas JVC is.
Old 9th September 2005, 01:33   #84
BANNED

steps to be followed for hassle free working of the HU..

as i promised..well here goes some things u got to look into while compiling a cd for ur car HU..
1. do not subject discs to heat/high temperature..avoid leaving them in a parked car or on a dashboard or tray..well the heat screws the quality of the cds and often the HUs are blamed for not reading the cds properly..so keep in mind not to blame the HU for this problem..

2. do not use cds with sticky ink/residue from markers..such discs may stop running when used,causing a malfunction and often the HUs are balmed for this too..

3. the following malfunctions may result from using such discs:
a. inability to eject a disc due to label peeling of slightly and jamming the eject mechanism..
b. inability to read audio data correctly due to heat shrinking of the label on the cds causing a disc to warp..
c. dont try to play 8 cm cds..will not work no matter what..worse once the cd goes in it might not eject..
d. before playing,clean the cds with a commercially available cleaning cloth..wipe the cds from centre to outwards..avoid using solvents such as benzene,thinners or antistatic spray intended for analogue discs..

4. make sure the cds dont have finger prints on the reading side or too many scrathes as this only diminishes the reading quality of the lens..though the problem is with the cd,the HUs are blamed again..

5. it is advisable not to use a cd for more than 4 months as they tend to develop scrathes pretty soon and again increase the work load of the HUs lens to read them efficiently..and comeon guys a cd costs just 20 bucks,its better to play clean cds and buy new ones after sometime rather than use scratched cds now and end up paying a lot more on changing a HU due to lens damage..so spend money on buying new and good cds not on repairing the HU..

6. some CD-R and CD-RW depending on the equipment used for its recording or the condition of the disc may not be able to play on the sony CDX-F5510..so care to be in this regard (better use sony cds as they are really worth the extra buck u pay over the moserbaers and one can be assured u wont have problems playing them like some have reported about the moserbaers)..

7. you cannot and i mean cannot play a CD-R or a CD-RW that is not finalized(that explains why a few cds were not read by the HU at all)..and as usual the blame is on the HU not knowing that the sonys dont play cds that are not finalized..

8. this product is designed to playback discs that conform to the compact disc (CD) standard..recently,various music cds encoded with copyright protection tecnologies are marketed and pls be aware that there are some cds that do not conform to the CD standard and hence may not be playable by this product..

9. if u play a high bit rate mp3 such as 320 kbps the sound maybe intermittent..

10. when the dics is recorded in multisession,only the first track of the first session format is recognized and played,any other format is skipped..

11. the priority of the format is CD-DA,ATRAC CD and then MP3..
when the 1st track is CD-DA,only CD-DA of the 1st session is played..
when the 1st track is not a CD-DA, an ATRAC CD or MP3 session is played..if the discs has no data in any of these formats "NO MUSIC" is displayed..so be sure of the formats u use to compile cds..

12. if ur car has been parked in direct sunlight,allow the unit to cool off before operating it..

13. on a rainy day or very damp area moisture condensation may occur inside the lenses and display of the unit..should this occur,the unit will not operate properly..in such cases,remove the disc and wait for about an hour until the moisture had evaporated..

14. if the cd does not play:
a. its defective or dirty or the CD-Rs or CD-RW are not for audio use(that might be the problem with the moserbaers though not sure as they work fine on mine)..
b. the disc is incompatible with the MP3 format and version..so choose quality cds(sony CD-R and CD-RW preffered)..

15. the following discs takes a longer time to playback:
a. a disc recorded with a complicated tree structure..
b. a disc recorded in multisession..
c. a disc to which data is added..

16.. if the sound skips:
a. installation is not correct..
b. install the HU at an angle of less than 45 degrees in a sturdy part of the car to solve the above problem..

so pls keep in mind all these points for effective working of the HU..

phew that took a long long time ..
Old 9th September 2005, 01:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For how much did you get your JVC with B&W for? If It costed you more than Sony 5510 which is going to be without B&W, I would say stick with it.

And If you think Its hard to convince you to stay with JVC, Listen to Sony 5510 with the same set of Speakers and then decide for yourself as to which one sounds better, and please bear in mind that the Sony is without B&W whereas JVC is.
i got my jvc for 5800 rupees.i feel that my speakers will sound better with the sony than with the existing jvc.I will come to bombaby tomorrow and make up my mind.and you also cheak it out and let me know.

rev

Last edited by revtech : 9th September 2005 at 01:36.
Old 9th September 2005, 02:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
as i promised..well here goes some things u got to look into while compiling a cd for ur car HU..
1. do not subject discs to heat/high temperature..avoid leaving them in a parked car or on a dashboard or tray..well the heat screws the quality of the cds and often the HUs are blamed for not reading the cds properly..so keep in mind not to blame the HU for this problem..

2. do not use cds with sticky ink/residue from markers..such discs may stop running when used,causing a malfunction and often the HUs are balmed for this too..

3. the following malfunctions may result from using such discs:
a. inability to eject a disc due to label peeling of slightly and jamming the eject mechanism..
b. inability to read audio data correctly due to heat shrinking of the label on the cds causing a disc to warp..
c. dont try to play 8 cm cds..will not work no matter what..worse once the cd goes in it might not eject..
d. before playing,clean the cds with a commercially available cleaning cloth..wipe the cds from centre to outwards..avoid using solvents such as benzene,thinners or antistatic spray intended for analogue discs..

4. make sure the cds dont have finger prints on the reading side or too many scrathes as this only diminishes the reading quality of the lens..though the problem is with the cd,the HUs are blamed again..

5. it is advisable not to use a cd for more than 4 months as they tend to develop scrathes pretty soon and again increase the work load of the HUs lens to read them efficiently..and comeon guys a cd costs just 20 bucks,its better to play clean cds and buy new ones after sometime rather than use scratched cds now and end up paying a lot more on changing a HU due to lens damage..so spend money on buying new and good cds not on repairing the HU..

6. some CD-R and CD-RW depending on the equipment used for its recording or the condition of the disc may not be able to play on the sony CDX-F5510..so care to be in this regard (better use sony cds as they are really worth the extra buck u pay over the moserbaers and one can be assured u wont have problems playing them like some have reported about the moserbaers)..

7. you cannot and i mean cannot play a CD-R or a CD-RW that is not finalized(that explains why a few cds were not read by the HU at all)..and as usual the blame is on the HU not knowing that the sonys dont play cds that are not finalized..

8. this product is designed to playback discs that conform to the compact disc (CD) standard..recently,various music cds encoded with copyright protection tecnologies are marketed and pls be aware that there are some cds that do not conform to the CD standard and hence may not be playable by this product..

9. if u play a high bit rate mp3 such as 320 kbps the sound maybe intermittent..

10. when the dics is recorded in multisession,only the first track of the first session format is recognized and played,any other format is skipped..

11. the priority of the format is CD-DA,ATRAC CD and then MP3..
when the 1st track is CD-DA,only CD-DA of the 1st session is played..
when the 1st track is not a CD-DA, an ATRAC CD or MP3 session is played..if the discs has no data in any of these formats "NO MUSIC" is displayed..so be sure of the formats u use to compile cds..

12. if ur car has been parked in direct sunlight,allow the unit to cool off before operating it..

13. on a rainy day or very damp area moisture condensation may occur inside the lenses and display of the unit..should this occur,the unit will not operate properly..in such cases,remove the disc and wait for about an hour until the moisture had evaporated..

14. if the cd does not play:
a. its defective or dirty or the CD-Rs or CD-RW are not for audio use(that might be the problem with the moserbaers though not sure as they work fine on mine)..
b. the disc is incompatible with the MP3 format and version..so choose quality cds(sony CD-R and CD-RW preffered)..

15. the following discs takes a longer time to playback:
a. a disc recorded with a complicated tree structure..
b. a disc recorded in multisession..
c. a disc to which data is added..

16.. if the sound skips:
a. installation is not correct..
b. install the HU at an angle of less than 45 degrees in a sturdy part of the car to solve the above problem..

so pls keep in mind all these points for effective working of the HU..

phew that took a long long time ..
I would rather not buy this unit if you have to take soo many precautions with this unit. I always write CDs at 320 kbps as It offers awesome quality at that bit rate and more over If you write in WMA Lossless - I guess the bit rate for that is around 420 kbps. Then whats the use of this player, and is Sony trying to fool around with Microsoft here who put in a lotttt to offer exceptional sound quality with their Windows Media Audio Lossless format. (I hv worked with MS for 2 years)

And also the funda of finalizing the disc is all Crap, what good is a head if cannot play the data, What the heck does it gotta do with finalizing. I am sure they do play them without finalizing. I am never satisfied with the collection, and I never finalize most of the discs.

If we go by this concept of finalizing, I am sure you will never be able to play CD RW's without burning them completely, which nullifies the mere concept of using CD RW's.

Does this mean that on a rainy day you will not be able to listen you "GARAJ BARAS SAAWAN GHIR AAYO'....then whats the use of such a unit. I'd rather stick with Pioneer.

Ok, after a lot of cribbing, Did you actually face all these problems? Or you just copy pasted them from some manual, suggesting precautions?

Believe me, if all these problems actually occur, I think sony makes all crap and nothing else.

Last edited by zzzehar : 9th September 2005 at 02:46.
Old 9th September 2005, 03:00   #87
BANNED

well these are just the precautions to be taken thats it..if u refer the manuals for the sonys,pioneers,alpines,jvc they too will suggest the same..yet i havent faced any problems with my HU so far..so far i have used and reused CD-RWs too and yet no problems..well dont know about the finalizing part as i always finalize my cds..whats the guarantee that the same is not the case with the pioneers and the alpines..and the reason why i posted this was to let others know whats the problem with their HUs that they were not playing properly..so that they can solve them..thats it..most of them are recommended by the company and i added a few on my own(read keeping a cd for 4mnths etc etc..)..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 9th September 2005 at 03:02.
Old 9th September 2005, 03:07   #88
BHPian

Quote:
well these are just the precautions to be taken thats it..if u refer the manuals for the sonys,pioneers,alpines,jvc they too will suggest the same..yet i havent faced any problems with my HU so far..so far i have used and reused CD-RWs too and yet no problems..well dont know about the finalizing part as i always finalize my cds..whats the guarantee that the same is not the case with the pioneers and the alpines..and the reason why i posted this was to let others know whats the problem with their HUs that they were not playing properly..so that they can solve them..thats it..most of them are recommended by the company and i added a few on my own(read keeping a cd for 4mnths etc etc..)..
kewl, I appreciate your posting, was just wondering as to what gud a unit is, If it gives you soo many probs. Thank you for posting the same. I am Rethinking of buying this unit. Hahahahahaha and will send it you for servicing !
Old 9th September 2005, 03:14   #89
BANNED

keep in mind that most of these precautions are stated not only for the sonys but all HUs albeit pioneer,jvc,alpine or nakamichi..my cousin bought a nakamichi player about 3 yrs back paying some 50k for the HU only and it got screwed in 1 yr..so paying more money doesnt mean more relaibility or seeing so many precautions doesnt mean the HU sucks and is subjected to so many problems..these are just precautions and some of them are to be followed for home enterteinment systems too be it of any make..
Old 9th September 2005, 03:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
keep in mind that most of these precautions are stated not only for the sonys but all HUs albeit pioneer,jvc,alpine or nakamichi..my cousin bought a nakamichi player about 3 yrs back paying some 50k for the HU only and it got screwed in 1 yr..so paying more money doesnt mean more relaibility or seeing so many precautions doesnt mean the HU sucks and is subjected to so many problems..these are just precautions and some of them are to be followed for home enterteinment systems too be it of any make..
Yes Sir, Let me bow my head in your Honor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks