Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 16:07   #16
BHPian

Low Cost Audio System for TATA nano

I am looking for Low cost Audio System for my Nano CX.
I am looking at brands like MegaAudio etc.
System should have USB , BT and FM but no CD player.
Budget for HU Rs1500~2000

The TATA Accessories front plastic box which fits into dash recess needs holes to be drilled on dash , any solution which do not need the drilling on dash?

Rear - I found the MDF plank method is impossible as the mounts are so weak , they cannot even hold the present tray.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:28   #17
BHPian

I hear that the space provided for the Nano for a stereo is too large to accomodate a single din and too small for a double. Is it the case with it? The showroom people say the only option available is a HU provided by Tata?

I'm confused here.. can anyone share some pics of their install?

@B&T: you say you got a full setup in a Nano. Is factory wiring provided for the front and rear speakers?
Old 11th October 2010, 21:20   #18
BHPian

What are the options for installing speakers in the front of the car?

Are components possible?
Old 11th October 2010, 22:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Custom fibreglass pods? Why not dabble with those? They are not too expensive or difficult to make.
@frankmehta: Is fabricating fibreglass cheaper than wood boxes for speakers?

Anyone know anyplace in Bangalore who can help with fibreglass fabrication?
Old 12th October 2010, 10:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground1419 View Post
@frankmehta: Is fabricating fibreglass cheaper than wood boxes for speakers?
fiberglass is not cheaper than MDF but fiberglass has some advantages.

It is stiffer than MDF per mm of thickness.
It can be moulded into shapes.
It is lighter than MDF and hence will store less energy than MDF

however for making large woofer boxes I do not recommend an all fiberglass box unless it is well damped (fiberglass is stiff and hence can resonate) for tweeter pods fiberglass has no equal (except maybe carbon fiber sheets).
Old 12th October 2010, 13:17   #21
BHPian

I am still undecided on what kind of stereo I'm gonna install on my Nano. I had a look at the front speaker holder Tata provides.. ugh!

My doubt are -
Can I install components in the Nano; if yes, then can someone please share some tips / pics of their install. The last thing I wanna do is regret cutting a hold in the door panel and ending up with a poor sounding speaker.

If components are out, if I look at a 4" on the dash, how can I go about fixing it. The OEM speakers+bracket are a NO for me. Saw a recommendation about fibreglass here, hence the follow up.

For the rear - I won't be going for a sub, 6X9 should be enough. Now, from the installs I saw on some Nanos, the hat rack replaced with a wood plank looks rather cheesy, not to forget the feeble plastic holders that hold it up. Are any other options available, esp with fibreglass?

Amp - Any recommendations on whether the Nano can deliver enough power? B&Ts post says he has a full install, but I don't see any details! :|

Lastly, wiring - Does the Nano come with atleast wiring to power the HU? The showroom guys tell me that only the stereos they provide are capable of being installed in the Nano, as they come with factory wiring kits. Am I being led on?

I hope some answers do pour in for my questions, as I'm looking at getting an install by this weekend.

PS: Fibreglass recommendations in Bangalore anyone?
Old 14th October 2010, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

* Get a pair of 4" components (Illusion, Kicker, etc.) for mounting in the dash. If you don't want a sub, the 6x9s should give you some semblance of bass
* The wood plank would look cheesy if you don't specify the cloth. Ask the installer to use felt cloth that will match the interior, instead of the usual carpet cloth
* An alternative to thick MDF hat rack would be 1/2" marine ply with a 2mm ready made fiber glass sheet (the ones used on gates and canopies) stuck with Araldite. For added rigidity, use steel L-channels running the width of the hat rack (front and back) - get holes drilled at 6" intervals and screw it to the underside of the board+FG.
* If you want a replica of the OE hat rack in FG only (will be costlier than the board+FG), Anwar (he has an outfit somewhere near JNC in Koramangala) or Thouqeer (Auto Fusion, near Koramangala Club, on a side street) should be able to fabricate one for you
Old 15th October 2010, 20:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground1419 View Post
Amp - Any recommendations on whether the Nano can deliver enough power? B&Ts post says he has a full install, but I don't see any details! :|
There is no factory speaker wiring since there is no factory location for speakers.

You can install an amplifier if you want. There is no problem in doing that.

If you dont want to do any fabrication, you can install conventional component speakers by making cut-outs in the door panels, and installing spacer rings.

The pics of my install that I have, use fiberglass pods for 5.25" front speakers, and fiberglass parcel tray for 6x9s. Below are a few pics so you get an idea.

ICE upgrade : Tata Nano-p1120813.jpg

ICE upgrade : Tata Nano-p1120879.jpg

ICE upgrade : Tata Nano-p1120880.jpg
Bass&Trouble is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2010, 01:47   #24
BHPian

really neat install B&T. Some more questions -

- does the dash or any other part of the car vibrate because of this install? if yes, how was it minimized?

- the rear tray mount is quite flimsy, how is the custom fibreglass tray mounted & is it removable? are there any chances of it moving about when the seat is folded down to access the boot/engine bay.

- by wiring I meant wiring harness to power the HU. I am told that only Tata accessories have the wiring harness, internal antenna etc. etc. supplied and that they are non standard and N.A in the market? true or am I being led on?

- did your install include an antenna similar to the internal ones provided by Tata?

sorry for the long list of questions; I'm just trying to evaluate the options I have and whether ICEing the Nano is worth the effort!

OT- What equipment is installed in this Nano? The HU looks neat!
Old 4th September 2011, 16:01   #25
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Front speaker installation looks similar to TATA accessories speakers.The disadvantage with this scheme is the useful space in the dash gets occupied.Also it drills holes on dash.Need to look for any better solution than this.
Old 5th September 2011, 03:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
The disadvantage with this scheme is the useful space in the dash gets occupied.Also it drills holes on dash.Need to look for any better solution than this.
I believe this arrangement of speakers tampers the least with the original scheme of the interiors and still leaves adequate space on the dash ; and it's decent looking too.

Alternative locations are
  1. the front doors - here you'll be cutting through the door pad to accommodate MDF rings and speakers
  2. the kick panel - here again,you'll need to make fiberglass enclosures.
Old 5th September 2011, 09:39   #27
BHPian

[quote=vigsom;2493105]I believe this arrangement of speakers tampers the least with the original scheme of the interiors and still leaves adequate space on the dash

Being user of Nano for more than 1 year I feel any intrusion into the original dash space is a big loss on utility.The space is just enough to keep sundry grocery items which we pick on the way.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Music System For Nano?

The Nano comes with a provision to fit a music system, but there's no good place for the front speakers. The dashboard does have storage space on both sides, but to fit a rectangular speaker in this space would look mismatched.

Are there any speakers which can be neatly fitted onto the Nano's dash?

What are the options for a music system which can play cassettes and CDs (and maybe have an aux input to play from Nokia mobiles), with two speakers in the rear, two in the front? What size/wattage? What would be the approx budget?

If the rear parcel tray or the storage space were to be left untouched, what are the best options for front speakers? What size/wattage and position?

All the music being played would be old Bollywood songs, no rock 'n roll (except probably some Bhappi da numbers).
Old 15th June 2012, 13:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Music System For Nano?

A music system has been fitted aftermarket in my wife's Nano.

If I remember correctly, the speakers were installed in the doors. I am not entirely sure though. Let me check tonight and get back to you on this part.

Its definitely not on the rear parcel tray or in the storage area. Its a Sony Xplod, enough for playing basic music. We do use an aux in cable for plug and play from our mobiles and it works well. It plays only CDs and noo provision for cassettes.

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th June 2012 at 13:57.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

I searched the accessories list on the Nano website, and it does show front speakers which are moulded to fit onto the dashboard. However the dealer had no information about it (at least he didn't mention these even when I suggested the idea).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks