Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 15:46   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
But, using a Home PC hard drive or dvd drive would be a problem right?
So, cant we just use a bootable hard drive and keep filling it every now and then with our convenience. Wouldn't this save money as we wouldn't need a separate DVD drive as such. I am saying this keeping my priorities in mind not yours. What do you say?
Yeah, that's why I asked him not keeping in mind his priorities. My dad can't drive without FM in the car, so I asked. And what about the portable hard drive query?
Old 31st May 2010, 16:22   #62
BHPian

I feel like an innocent kid lost in Dexters Lab. Anything techie I speak here would be just another cliche of some sorts. Sorry I'm naive when it comes to gadgets. How many kilometers of wire are you going to use Sire Frank? With all those gadgets plonked in who would want to go on a space trip?

Wishing you all the best wishes in this new endeavour
Old 31st May 2010, 23:18   #63
BHPian

How much will the processor cost? Which model are you buying?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 31st May 2010 at 23:23.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:27   #64
BHPian

I guess he mentioned somewhere earlier about going for a Core i3. They cost b/w 4k-7k approx.

Yay, 100 posts.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, using a Home PC hard drive or dvd drive would be a problem right?
So, cant we just use a bootable hard drive and keep filling it every now and then with our convenience. Wouldn't this save money as we wouldn't need a separate DVD drive as such. I am saying this keeping my priorities in mind not yours. What do you say?
No problem mate. Using an external laptop DVD drive will be ok. Same thing with a laptop internal/external hard drive. These are made to take stresses and bumps. Should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You mean to say the warranty of your car is still intact and would be intact after doing all this? And how easily can the setup be dismantled and reinstalled during service time?
yes, surprisingly. Ajay (B&T)'s staff takes care of the warranty very well, since they are used to working on expensive marques like Jaguars, Beemers and Mercs, where maintaining the warranty is paramount. My Fiesta is but a drop in the ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
This guy has common sense. Read his logic.
Practical PC Online - Opinion: Valves on a Motherboard? No Way!
Read it. Then again, I have stopped believing these 'blog' articles where a single person makes a sensationalist claim on the internet and a few feathers here and there are ruffled. I am done with monologue writeups. I believe in FORUMS. Like this one!

Quote:
If you don't want to show off the Car PC, getting a Metal Enclosure would be better, as its a better conductor of heat. Keeping it cool will be slightly easier, besides metal cabinets are available in the market
I am glad you mentioned this. but a metal enclosure might 'rattle' a little bit in the boot. Also, I shall be drilling holes into the acrylic, so I think heat dispersion should be fine.

Quote:
Not sure about this, but i think now days some TV Tuner cards come with AM/FM radio.
I have owned a TV tuner card a few years ago. But the FM quality in most is ok, for a stationary vehicle. Start moving, and all you hear is static.

Quote:
One more thing. Instead of getting a TV Tuner car to record the reverse camera footage, you get these DVR cards [Thats what I think they are called], can accept 4 - 16 [the models i saw atleast] camera inputs into 1 card. TV Tuner will accept only 1.
This is complicated, eats more power, consumes one entire hard drive and wastes space. I don't want a dedicated DVR solution. A TV tuner is ok!

Quote:
additionally i got an old comp lying around at home.
was planning to port it to the car.

AMD 2400 +
512 MB RAM
the main obsticles are
1> need a touch screen LCD + installation
2> need a PSU. Was thinking about the M4-ATX
Decent background. PM me if you need a touchscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think FM is super waste for such level of equipment but just for the kicks, have you considered this > > Welcome to Usb.brando.com

There is a support thread on mp3car.com too > > Will this USB Radio Work? - MP3Car.com

Does that mean DVD drive cant play CDs!!!! Never heard of that. Or did you mean simultaneous play like a dualzone audio system. :O
I agree, FM IS a waste since one can listen to WHATEVER he/she likes in a Carputer ( i have about 300 gigs of music)
I would want this attachment ONLY for the fact that I would like a complete system.
Will purchase this if I think I want it right now, or later. Until someone taunts me saying the system costs over xxxxxx and doesn't have an FM radio. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Radio / TV is very much possible in car, however not worth it IMO.
FM quality is pretty bad here and this becomes more apparent if you have a high quality setup.
I stopped listening to FM almost 3 years back for this vary reason.

I moved to Worldspace at home, and was considering some jugad for car, but last year that company also went bust :(

LOL, that's a nice one.... dual zone audio...lol
I have a good idea. I am getting the Tata Photon +. Internet radio can be used. Whatsay??

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I asked him not keeping in mind his priorities. My dad can't drive without FM in the car, so I asked. And what about the portable hard drive query?
My mom likes FM. will have to think of something for her. Or else, just the usual Internet radio old songs channel ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inreverse View Post
I feel like an innocent kid lost in Dexters Lab. Anything techie I speak here would be just another cliche of some sorts. Sorry I'm naive when it comes to gadgets. How many kilometers of wire are you going to use Sire Frank? With all those gadgets plonked in who would want to go on a space trip?

Wishing you all the best wishes in this new endeavour
Endeavour? It's a Fiesta! (don't mind, I am just pulling your leg!)

Quote:
How much will the processor cost?
Processor and MObo at this point: About 13k
Old 31st May 2010, 23:42   #66
BHPian

1. Can I use my micro Atx motherboard with Pentium 4 processor? It is actually a Compaq Presario SR1732IL desktop PC which I don't use now.
2. I think I shall retain the Processor, motherboard(RC 410M which is micro ATX I think), RAM (2X1Gb) and buy a portable hard drive and a portable DVD writer.
Could this be done?
3. Can I use my desktop's hard drive and DVD writer or would they fail due to bumps etc.?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 31st May 2010 at 23:45.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can I use my micro Atx motherboard with Pentium 4 processor? It is actually a Compaq Presario SR1732IL desktop PC which I don't use now.
Falling into a trap, are we?
Getting tempted to build a carputer?
You can use this stuff, no doubt. Just make sure it doesn't heat up too much and doesn't consume too much power. Depends on the processor. Most P4's consume quite a bit of power.
Quote:
2. I think I shall retain the Processor, motherboard, RAM (2X1Gb) and buy a portable hard drive and a portable DVD writer.
Could this be done?
This is fine.
Quote:
3. Can I use my desktop's hard drive and DVD writer or would they fail due to bumps etc.?
Might fail mate. Maybe a combo of age and stress together will kill them both
Old 31st May 2010, 23:49   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
One for Cd, one for dvd no?
Dont most DVD drives play CD?
Old 31st May 2010, 23:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

LOL! About that! That was a joke with Ajay. The man has a 'keen' eye to spot two of each product in all my unboxing photos. LOL.
Old 1st June 2010, 00:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Falling into a trap, are we?
Getting tempted to build a carputer?
You can use this stuff, no doubt. Just make sure it doesn't heat up too much and doesn't consume too much power. Depends on the processor. Most P4's consume quite a bit of power.

This is fine.

Might fail mate. Maybe a combo of age and stress together will kill them both
Actually, dad got promoted today so he is finally keen on buying a new car and I told him about the Fiesta S( I have been doing this for ages now). I told him that we would go for this kind of a setup in the new car so I am now gonna keep searching about it.

Okay, so considering that I will only fill the carputer with high quality audio, what kind and what size of hard drive should I go for? I want it to be easy on the pocket.
Same goes for the DVD drive.
How would this be -http://cgi.ebay.in/500-GB-Laptop-Har...item2ead6b89fd will it be compatible with the existing desktop motherboard?
The sound card would most probably be the one you've bought. Other add-ons like USB GPS, OBDII scanner etc. would be similar to what you've bought.

The problem is that I will be upgrading the ICE as well with new front components, 4 channel amplifier and a 12" sub, so I will have to keep a budget in mind. More on that later.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 1st June 2010 at 00:07.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:49   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The man has a 'keen' eye to spot two of each product in all my unboxing photos. LOL.
So he must think of you as twice as mad.

Are you going to give the other boxes to Kamlesh bhai?
Old 1st June 2010, 12:37   #72
BHPian

Are the Opus 250 watts or 360 watts DC DC power supplies compatible with a micro-Atx motherboard, precisely, an RC-410M?
Old 1st June 2010, 14:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Should be I guess, as power connection socket on Mini-itx or ATX is same 20 pin or 24 pin. I have Opus 360.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

anything with p4 connectors will do the job:-)
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:03   #75
BHPian

Can you post the list about the places you got your hardware from as of now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks