Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2005, 17:22   #1
BHPian

Water inside the amp

Hiya,

I have a 2004 alto, The water level in our place was rising at an alarming level, I thought it was better to take the car out than to wait and watch, Well some 10 cars were submerged in the water completely, I took full reverse and in the process managed to get some water inside my car, I had switched off the music system before i took out the car, But when I was reversing i noticed a crackling sound from the speakers even though the system was shut down, I gave the car for servicing to bimal but does not know the outcome of my action, Guys can you tell me even if my music system works now, will it invite any trouble in the future? My amp was beneath the front seat (Sony 5 channel) I guess it has a power protector( I dont know what it means, Saw the light) and fuses to prevent it from getting short circuited, I have watched all the gurus giving opinions on a lot of things, Want to know what has to be done help!!!
Old 29th October 2005, 17:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

you may have damaged the amp that is why our recommended install in on the back of the rear seat. anyway before you do anything else take the car to our audio guys have him remove it, open it and dry it well before trying to turn it on. the HU might be ok as water never got to it.
Old 29th October 2005, 17:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this Knight Rider.... how much was the amplifier for? I hate to say this, but I feel its gone in an likelihood!
Old 29th October 2005, 17:34   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well u might want to take the amp out..open it,see whats happened to it,maybe dry it and see if it works..might if ur lucky..really sad to hear about this but do try and let us know..
Old 29th October 2005, 17:57   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys, I am getting the car back on thursday, Will have it checked, I have a subwoofer in the boot so the space is minimal, That is the reason i did not fit the amplifier behind the rear seat, Because the only way by which i can carry something is to tilt the rear seat, Well some times you have to see it to believe it, So much of sweat and blood to get the whole setup done, But friend got his new tata indigo drowned completely which was hardly 15 days old, and anohter one lost his 800, he is planing to buy a new car now. , At least the car is running fine! Can you guys tell me what could have caused that crackling sound from the speakers? And yes naveen, The hu is intact, Aseem , I will post you guys about the outcome, I got it for 5500 before some 9 months
Old 29th October 2005, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

well Do It Yourself if the sony amp havent got a warranty.
Old 29th October 2005, 18:08   #7
BHPian

Is there anyone in banglore who would l take the pains of doing this? I am sure the Dealers would be more interested in selling me one than to service it
Old 29th October 2005, 18:13   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Is there anyone in banglore who would l take the pains of doing this? I am sure the Dealers would be more interested in selling me one than to service it
vivek are u listening ...if he has the time im sure he might be able to do it for u KR or maybe even build u a new one..but he gettting free time might be just be another story as well..well i wouldnt mind trying it lol but i must warn u this will be my 1st attempt at DIY..so u better go to a authorised service centre..
Old 29th October 2005, 18:21   #9
BHPian

Well, Mclaren I appreciate your good intention!! However as you rightly mentioned would like to see a long life for my amp!!!!!! Will I have to change the wiring as well? And pardon my ignorance, Who is Vivek?
Old 29th October 2005, 18:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

why cant u just take it 2 authorized sony service if u have warranty. and ther should be a couple of they at cochin. they have one or two at tvm
Old 29th October 2005, 18:30   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Well, Mclaren I appreciate your good intention!! However as you rightly mentioned would like to see a long life for my amp!!!!!! Will I have to change the wiring as well? And pardon my ignorance, Who is Vivek?
well u might have to change the entire wiring as well..but unless u open the amp its not possible to say a thing..u dont know who vivekphadnis is ????
ANS: a crazy DIY on this forum(read his immaculate CCTB concept) and only junior to none other than navin at DIYs..hope that answers ur question..
Old 29th October 2005, 18:36   #12
BHPian

Thanks mclaren, It did clear the query! Jkdas, The best part is I do not have warranty for the amp, Got it fixed from J.C road, Funny though, Does the amp have any inbuilt function to prevent it's circuits from getting jammed?
Old 29th October 2005, 18:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Knight since you bought it for 5.5k, I doubt its 5 channel as your qoute... are your sure? It might be Sony 504 which is a 4 channel amp. In that case, it would be better to get a new one for 3.5k than to get the old one fixed!
Old 29th October 2005, 18:45   #14
BHPian

Aseem, I could have been easily mistaken, I do not have a good know how about the specs, All I wanted was to hear some good music, When I shopped i consulted one of my friends who works in the similar field in Kerala. How much would the entire Re-wiring cost?
Old 29th October 2005, 19:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aseem, I could have been easily mistaken, I do not have a good know how about the specs, All I wanted was to hear some good music, When I shopped i consulted one of my friends who works in the similar field in Kerala. How much would the entire Re-wiring cost?
well mate, now can u tell ur car audio config. u have an hu, how many speakers ( frnt/rear) and do u have a sub?

and teh rate for cables depend onwhat all cables u have 2 change ( if u have connected all spears frm amp and teh sub frm amp) and of course the amount of money u can spend. (2-3k for cables, guys?)

as aseem pointed out, u have be using the 504z amp and not a 5 channel one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks