Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 12:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if your installer wanted to do a fibreglass moulded job (like a T-BHP member has in his Scorpio -- dual subs in the tailgate). That may cost a little more than an MDF Box enclosure.

The prices Navin has quoted are just right. And as he mentioned, if you are buying the stuff from your installer, it would be a good idea to negotiate down the price -- most people who sell the stuff do the installation for free (unless the install involves heavy mods or fibreglass work etc.).
Old 5th December 2006, 23:33   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i think the installation charges are a bit much. i paid 600 bucks to install an amp and sub in my santro last month (EB Bass). enclosure price also is on the higher side...IMHO. can you post pics of your current install...would love to see it.
600Rs for a decent install is cheap. It should be cleanly done and in the way it's meant to be. That's all. And does it include any cabling, wiring etc..???

2k for a perfectly done box is also not bad. 1.5k is the normal price.

@Tifosi. Could you please explain what front speakers are you using? 4" or anything bigger? PMPO rating is really eyeblinding.

And you just want to add a sub powered by an amp? right?

In your budget, get a Sony 2 channel amp (or Pioneer amp you've selected, but it will overshoot your budget by a bit) and JBL CS1204B sealed box sub. That wont boom with every bass stroke, will just give you the low end support your music needs. Don't expect to shake your neighbourhoods or even the insides of your car.
And the best thing is it comes in it's own BOX and will not cause you any worries about the box.

This is the best quality option which comes into my mind within your budget.
Old 14th February 2007, 08:46   #48
BHPian

Hi tifosikrishna any updates on your ICE ?
Should be getting the delivery of my Scorpio (8 seater Dx..)today or tommorrow and would like to plan the ICEing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
hey tifosikrishna ....did u setup your ICE yet ?! let us know the setup and post pics is possible....

i recently setup ICE in my Scorpio and you can see it in a similar thread with pics !
NIP, Cool pics..
I am looking at a AMP+Front Speaker + 1x10" sub combo. but have been unable to figure out where to place it. I usually prefer only sealed subs (Dont mid the loss in extension for the gain in tunefuleness.)

Where all did you consider subbing other than on the back door ?

The amp should be possible to be placed near the clutch pedal, right ? that way i can avoid long RCA cables which are pretty prone to RFI

Also, since you are banalore based, who was your installer ?
Old 14th February 2007, 12:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post

NIP, Cool pics..
I am looking at a AMP+Front Speaker + 1x10" sub combo. but have been unable to figure out where to place it. I usually prefer only sealed subs (Dont mid the loss in extension for the gain in tunefuleness.)

Where all did you consider subbing other than on the back door ?

The amp should be possible to be placed near the clutch pedal, right ? that way i can avoid long RCA cables which are pretty prone to RFI

Also, since you are banalore based, who was your installer ?
the 10 inch would be quite less for a big cabin of scorpio

I would preffer a ported box as you will gain +3 to +6 db with that...and only freq lower than 30 hz will be at loss...which I think will be inaudibale when the vehicle is moving....

if a ported box or a sealed one make a enclousre and keep it in the boot...as u can try different direction to achive the best result....

the amp can be fit under the front seat...but the rca built for ICE use are immune to RFI so i consider to select the boot the best.....

no idea about installer of banglore ....plz consult the banglore member for the same....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th February 2007 at 12:52.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:58   #50
Team-BHP Support

Sharpshooter, The amp can be fitted under the front passenger seat.

Regarding installation in bangalore, Anwar of Auto Fusion is the best in the business.

His workshop is located in koramangala.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm goin today or tomorrow to his place for ICEing a friends car.
Old 14th February 2007, 13:35   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder if it is a nice idea to have the amp so close to the firewall. then again I am really old school and over cautious. I dont see any RFI problems if you have good wire even if the amp is installer a few feet further away.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:13   #52
NIP
Senior - BHPian

sh@rpshooter thanks for the nice words

i think navin is right...iamp near the clutch is not a very good idea. i think ideally the amp should go below the drivers seat (the jack sits below the co-drivers seat). the sub can be effectively installed in a triangular (cross-section) box, placed behind the last row of seats (assuming you have this config). since you are not planning on rear speakers, this is a good way to install it. this is how i had planned on installing the sub earlier.

also, for installation, try EB BASS in Seshadripuram. He does some amazing installs...you can call Asif on 080-51136312 / 98863 23371. better yet, just drop in and ask for advice and see how it goes...!
Old 14th February 2007, 21:39   #53
BHPian

The point on the Amp seems fair so below the seat it goes ! Navinji, me is old ishchool too

NIP, did not understand your point on the Sub. so if it is behind the last seat, I do lose out on storage space right ? ie i may not be able to place suitcases etc in the back ?

The only option appears to be the back door like yoo have done..but it appears too thin to accomodate a good enclosure

Low_bass_maker, (Apt name !), so i should think the whole foot right (12") ? to be honest i would rather lose even the range below 40..as long as what i hear is tight and clear !

i guess Ill be giving auto fusion a call soon and discuss the options and hear some of the drivers to get the best fit..

Also the Pio 39XX seems to be the right HU for me..
Old 15th February 2007, 16:38   #54
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

NIP, did not understand your point on the Sub. so if it is behind the last seat, I do lose out on storage space right ? ie i may not be able to place suitcases etc in the back ?

The only option appears to be the back door like yoo have done..but it appears too thin to accomodate a good enclosure

yea but you can a have 'removable' type box so you can use the space when you need it. theres enough space to build a decent enclosure. in any case, if you have front facing rear seats, you cannot fit suitcases there anyway ! i usually install a carrier for baggage on long trips...never compromise on the sound

also, if you look at the pics in my gallery, the subs are installed in a huge fiberglass enclosure and when the door is closed, the subs fit snug (almost) against the rear seat backrest. the thickness of the door doesn't really matter...it took 4 days to build my enclosure !
Old 16th February 2007, 10:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The point on the Amp seems fair so below the seat it goes ! Navinji, me is old ishchool too

i guess Ill be giving auto fusion a call soon and discuss the options and hear some of the drivers to get the best fit..

Also the Pio 39XX seems to be the right HU for me..
Sharpshooter, i went to Autofusion yesterday and inquired for scorpio best speaker locations.

Anwar's recommendation is to go for 6" compos in the front door. He will provide a custom made mount either using mdf spacer rings or he will build a fiberglass enclosure angling it upwards. mdf is less messy and a cheaper option.

For the rear he says you need fill as it's a large car. the best position is to put 5.25" speakers either coax or compos on the top just above the rear boot door. he will build pods and mount it there angling towards the front.

All this should be amped to a 4 channel.

The next thing is the sub. behind the middle row he can build a sealed enclosure for a min 12" sub since car is big. this will be build in such a way so luggage/passenger space is not lost. This should go to a monoblock.

for the HU the 3950 from pioneer does not have 3 preouts only 2. All models upwards from 4950 have 3 preouts.
Old 16th February 2007, 11:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

I'd also say you need at least a 12" sub to get good bass in a Scorpio. The cabin is real big!

Is the area under the 2nd row of seats (the bench seats behind the driver's seat) hollow/open? If it is, I'd put a sub there, so as to get best results up front, in the driver's seat. If you place it there, maybe a 10" might do the job well enough. I also doubt if a 12" would go under the seat but a sealed box just might, if you set it so it fires upwards. Or, if you don't mind increasing the budget, 2 x 10" subs in a sealed box for tight, tight, bass that gets loud enough? :P
Old 18th February 2007, 00:38   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The point on the Amp seems fair so below the seat it goes ! Navinji, me is old ishchool too...
I had an inkling :-)
Old 19th February 2007, 11:12   #58
BHPian

vid6639, Thank you so much for the effort in finding out..I should be getting in touch with Anwar this week for the work.

Hydra..I am not sure if there is enough space for a sub there will explore that option as well.

but again i am not very concerned on the SPL as long as there is articulation of all 35 hz + harmonics, I am fine with the sound. Prefer hearing (Aureal) the the reverberations of the skin of the drum rather than (tactile) feeling of the impact on my chest. so want a fast sub and really not sure of 12" being fast enough to do that..anyway only way is to demo it out !

have been to busy this weekend shifting to my apt and with a 3 week old baby (Yup a proud father of a beautiful daughter) did not have too much of time in researching the ICE..anyway the 1 week old baby (The Scorpio this time !) did a wonderful job in the shifting ! so am mighty thrilled with the choice
Old 19th February 2007, 15:29   #59
Team-BHP Support

35Hz should be doable. I dont aim for much below 40Hz in a car.
a) 42Hs is the Low E on the bass guitar
b) anything lower needs too much energy and besides I like to pay some attention to the road & traffic as well.

lastly. Get a car seat. I recommend Britax (and I dont often recomend much). My son had a Graco, Evenflo and Britax (we have 3 cars) and he prefered the Britax from the time he was 12 months. Kids are smater than adults. their opinions are not coloured by brands or price tags.
Old 19th February 2007, 18:10   #60
BHPian

Right you are navin ji on the E chord. the fundamentals are much above the 35s..but personally i do like the harmonics below it as well to some extent (Although they may not be equally tight).
But yes I can be very happy with sound reaching down to the 40s at the 3db point !

And Although i never expected the answer in the ICE forum without it even being asked, Mucho Grazias for the recommendation on the car seat !

And regarding the last statement, I think on the way to becoming adults we curb that instinctive like/dislike and get into the excel sheet mode of decision making which might miss the essential and most fundamental point but cover everything else

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks