Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 17:49   #1
BHPian

Fiat Blue & Me: Q & A Section

Was just thinking that we need a separate thread on the Fiat Blue & Me software considering it can be updated every now and then.

So here goes my first query on Blue & Me...

I have a Nov '09 model Fiat Punto 1.4 Emo Pk. I updated the blue & me software from the fiat.com website soon after buying it. It works perfectly with my Nokia E72. However, i cannot connect my ipod to it as i would need an ipod adapter which Fiat sells separately outside India.

Recently while browsing the fiat.com website, i see that there is a new version of the blue and me software (V 5.5). This version apparently does not need the separate adapter to plug your ipod into the USB drive.

I want to know whether anyone here has updated their Blue & Me software to the 5.5 version in either their Punto or Linea. Does this version seamlessly integrate with ipods/ iphones?
Old 8th November 2010, 21:40   #2
J.Ravi

I am using Fiat Blue&Me Media Adaptar for our iPod. So, I didn't bother to update to v5.5. I suggest, you update to v5.5 and try your iPod. If it doesn't connect, then you can buy the adaptar. Best wishes.

Old 8th November 2010, 22:35   #3
BHPian

Ravi, does the Blue & Me Adapter work well to sync with your Ipod? Where did you source it from?

I am very apprehensive about installing an update coz this time, i am not sure whether the indian Punto is compatible with the upgrade. Also as all the blue and me upgrades go, once you've updated the software then it cannot be reversed back to the previous version incase it doesnt happen to suit the need. Which is why i was hoping that someone would have upgraded to V5.5 and i thought i could use some of the info.

The quacks at the service center are not really competent when it comes to understanding the software upgrades. Also how expensive is the adapter?
Old 9th November 2010, 08:06   #4
J.Ravi

Yes. The Fiat Blue&Me Media adaptor not only plays songs/music from our iPod, but also charges it simultaneously. I bought the Blue&Me adaptor through ebay.co.uk from partsworld-uk. See this link for more details:

FIAT LANCIA ALFA Blue&Me ADAPTER FOR IPHONE & IPOD on eBay (end time 06-Dec-10 12:26:01 GMT)

Old 10th November 2010, 20:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

If there is a USB socket with the Blue&Me unit, perhaps just a software upgrade will work with the standard cable that comes with iPhone/iPod. If the iPhone/iPod says "Accessory not supported" or "This accessory cannot be used for charging" or a message like that, one would need the hardware unit procured by @J.Ravi.

If the B&M unit works with E72 (which quite likely maps as drive, like USB/pen-drive), it should work with iPhone/iPod IF it has the software to communicate with iPhone/iPod. This protocol is different from the usual USB PnP protocol used with USB/pen-drives. There is no difference at hardware level - the same D+/D- pins of a USB port are used in either case.

There is nothing to convert in a USB port - the interface to iPod is over the D+/D- pins that carry data, and the other to pins are +5V and GND. If no +5V pins is supplied by the B&M USB port, this dinky little unit (GBP68? ) cannot be adding 5V out of thin air. Most probably it is a protocol converter to map the iPhone/iPod to USB drive commands. A software upgrade of the B&M unit will just implement the iPhone/iPod protocol over USB - it is software controlled.

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th November 2010 at 20:22.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:49   #6
J.Ravi

Today, I took the plunge by successfully updating Blue&Me SW version 5.5 in cara mia Fiat Linea.

All along, I was reluctant to do it as I have Fiat Blue&Me Media Adaptar to play our iPods/iPhones. The process was smooth and successful. I successfully tested the Blue&Me SW version 5.5. No issues with my Nokia N95 and playing songs from USB pendrive. It also played songs/music stored in my son's iPod without the Blue&Me Media Adaptar!

The iPod also gets charged simultaneously while playing songs/music. Now, 'iPod control' option is also available. One doesn't need Fiat Blue&Me Media Adaptar henceforth.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th November 2010 at 20:51.

Old 16th November 2010, 11:39   #7
BHPian

Many thanks Ravi. I have successfully updated the Blue & Me system in my car to Version 5.5. There are a few changes in the menu and yes as a big positive i am able to plug in my ipod into the car USB and read songs from it using the menu options (Artist, Albums, Song, etc)

One of my biggest cribs in the Punto was that it didnt have an AUX in jack to plug my ipod into the system. i guess this upgrade goes one up by not only integrating my my ipod but also by allowing me to access the ipod contents without taking my hand off the steering wheel
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:39   #8

I have been trying to update the blue and me to V5.5, but in vain. It shows 'updating' and then 'restarting' and then it shows 'installing' for about 20mins or so and after that it says 'update error', 'check your memory device'. I wonder what could be the problem. I am using a 4GB kingston flash drive. Is that the reason for the error? Should I try it with a smaller capacity pen drive? Friends/Guru's, I require urgent help on this. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

What is the recommended process for updating? How big is the file that is downloaded?
Old 5th January 2011, 14:37   #10
BHPian

Re: Fiat Blue & Me: Q & A Section

Hi Guys,
I have a 2010 Linea and have just upgraded my software to ver 5.5. I believe it originally came with ver 5.4.09.
Everything works as before and it takes just abt 5/7 minutes to update.
No major change in the menu etc. I am using an iphone 3g and this does not charge thru the USB. Neither is the media on it detected. I guess will need to get the Blue and me adapter in order to have this working or as suggested a new update 5.6 may do the trick.

Cheers!!
Old 7th January 2011, 13:56   #11
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyb View Post
I guess will need to get the Blue and me adapter in order to have this working.
I updated my Fiat Linea's Blue&Me SW to v 5.5. I have media adaptor too [purchased before updating].

Just now, I tested my daughter's iPhone. It didn't play without the adaptor. It displayed 'No Media Available'. Later, I tesed it with the adaptor. It played for a few seconds and automatically switched over to FM radio! I tried this several times with the same results. Maybe, some bug to play iPod of the iPhone.

Curiously, it played my another daughter's iPod Nano and my son's iPod without [and also with] the adaptor. Before updating, these iPods didn't play without the adaptor.

Old 7th January 2011, 14:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The iPod also gets charged simultaneously while playing songs/music. Now, 'iPod control' option is also available. One doesn't need Fiat Blue&Me Media Adaptar henceforth.
'iPod control' option will be coming if we connect with Apple device.
I am unable to see this option in my car.
Where is the Menu option exactly?
Old 7th January 2011, 14:25   #13
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Where is the Menu option exactly?
Please go to the Blue&Me menu>Media Player>Folders>Play All>iPod control.

Actually, it is a misnomer. If iPod control is activated, it doesn't mean that you can select the track from the iPod. You have to use steering control [^ v arrows] to see the iPod's folders displayed in the MID panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Blue & Me: Q & A Section-ipod-control.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th January 2011 at 14:27.

Old 8th January 2011, 09:21   #14
BHPian

Ravi:

What is the use of iPod Control option?

According to me that is just a folder on iPod.

Can you also please post the link to the webpage pic you have posted? Thanks.
Old 8th January 2011, 09:47   #15
J.Ravi

Ferrari1976,

The iPod control is a misnomer.

Here is the link for FAQ of Blue&Me:

http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/i...#/support/faq/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks