Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Chennai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 13:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Is the polishing happening at your place today? Post some pics once it is done.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:16   #62
BHPian

Balaji has quoted me 1.4k for the "so called" teflon coating. The steps are as below:

Wash the car
Apply some 3M polish
Machine polish the car

I dont have much details apart from the above, but let me talk to them tomorrow in detail to understand their procedure.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:28   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
If you mean machine vs hand its a big no! When you polish it yourself you would probably take the extra care since its your baby where as at most of the polishing joints there is no self interest and its just another car that has to be pushed out.

Heres results from polishing bonnet alone, took me about an hour with an old baniyan and some elbow grease

Attachment 407418

Most of us dont have the time or the willingness so its time to make a trip to the nearest detailer
Bottle please suggest me a good polish ,i want to give my swift a birthday gift (polish).

I saw few polishes in the Xenos auto boutique in nandanam will they be of good quality
Old 31st August 2010, 22:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

^ formula 1 wax, best way to start out make sure you get an original tin!
Old 4th September 2010, 17:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

someone from the polishing thread , I think nitrous recommended rahaman store in gp road , i got mine from there. check the fake formula 1 thread for pics of the fake and original tins. it should cost around 275 or so
Old 8th October 2010, 18:27   #66
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good retailer for installing car floor mats. I believe PVC material is used and they glue it to the floor (or is there a better way doing it!). Anyone suggestions, monsoon is on its way soon !!!!
Old 9th November 2010, 11:45   #67
BHPian

hey,
Just spoke to someone at Balaji,
Does 3500Rs for RE70 for an i20 sound right?

I don't want to spend to much on the film, so ruled out the CR70.. Is it really worth spending the 2k more for the CR70?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:50   #68
BHPian

RE70 is worth it and the CR series can be used for the windshield... i have done the RE70 and CR50 for my scorpio
Old 9th November 2010, 13:34   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have the RE50 on one of my cars and it's pretty transparent.
IMO, RE70 will be like plain windows without sun film.
Although heat rejection is pretty good in my RE50, I think RE35 would be the best/optimum choice.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:38   #70
BHPian

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.. The dealer has already put some Garware ( so he claims) stuff on the sides and the back so will use that till it fails, right now, looking at something for the windscreen only.

Hence looking at RE70 for the windscreen, is it okay? Out of what I've read here, everyone seems to be using CR70 for the front. Hence the question, does it make sense to spend that much more on it, or go for the RE70?

Thanks!
Old 9th November 2010, 17:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

I've used RE70 for side windows. Heres a pic if its of any use

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-p1030839.jpg

Its pretty transparent but I'm not sure if I would want it on the front screen, thats your call though

Heat rejection is pretty good as well but not as much as the RE50 or RE35
Old 9th November 2010, 19:56   #72
BHPian

Thanks for the pics!
Which would be a better choice? Garware IceCool Shield or the RE70? I am on a strict budget and can't spend 6.5k on the CR70!

When I Spoke to the rep from Balaji, he said the heat rejection of RE70 is Upto 50% whereas the 3M website states about 34% whereas the Garware Icecool has 50% heat rejection and Glare control.

I am Very confused! Help appriciated!
Old 9th November 2010, 20:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
Thanks for the pics!
Which would be a better choice? Garware IceCool Shield or the RE70? I am on a strict budget and can't spend 6.5k on the CR70!

When I Spoke to the rep from Balaji, he said the heat rejection of RE70 is Upto 50% whereas the 3M website states about 34% whereas the Garware Icecool has 50% heat rejection and Glare control.

I am Very confused! Help appriciated!
What is your primary reason for going for front windshield sunfilm? Do you have to park your car under the sun for long?

IMO, you should opt for film meant specifically for windscreen installation and sold as such, not becos of lighter shade or high heat rejection. AFAIK, this forum itself has a thread where it is mentioned that Garware does not have any films specifically suited for windshield, and it is acknowledged by them as well.

Apart from this, beware of the issues involved

- if you do lots of night driving, oncoming light will tend to create a sort of diffused effect - pure glass will let the light pass thru unless it is dirty whereas the film tends to diffuse the light..I find it uncomfortable.. thankfully I do not drive much at nights.

- You need to take care during cleaning the interior-side where the film is installed - using any rough cloth etc on the film will create hairline scratches and over time it can be a problem.

Bottomline is if you can avoid putting on windscreen, it is best. In case not, be prepared for compromising on visibility (how much depends on quality of the film, installation and maintenance)

Last edited by sanjayc : 9th November 2010 at 20:56.
Old 11th November 2010, 00:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

I am having CR70 in my Getz CRDi for close to a year. Apart from the apparent benefit of better cooling (on a black car!), I do not find any negatives. I have done plenty of night driving (~32k in 15 months, most of which are night highway runs), and can safely tell that this there is no scattering or diffusing effect of oncoming headlight because of the film.

I rarely wipe the insides of the windscreen, as I'm on 100% AC with windows rolled up and what they do when the car heads for service seems good enough.

@ SanjayC - if your front sunfilm is a CR, then have the installation checked. Light getting scattered or diffused can occur only if there are tiny weeny air bubbles (that would not show up unless you look real close - experience speaks! )
Old 11th November 2010, 11:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@ SanjayC - if your front sunfilm is a CR, then have the installation checked. Light getting scattered or diffused can occur only if there are tiny weeny air bubbles (that would not show up unless you look real close - experience speaks! )
I have Huper-Optik installed at Chennai Ford at the time of delivery itself. Apologies if my post has created a confusion - what I meant by diffusion was that oncoming light source will seem to be soft focussed and spread slightly more compared to pure glass - hence the glare effect increases. I find it somewhat uncomfortable compared to clear glass. Though it is not as if driving cannot be done. In fact I have done 3800 Kms Chennai/Kolkata up/down journey, driving during late evening as well.

My point was unless the car stands for long duration directly under the sun, there is not much benefit IMO. On the other hand, extra precaution needs to be taken while cleaning from inside. Once the service center fellow used some rough cloth to clean and caused a hairline depression (not a scratch but the effect you get when running your nail) over time it has dissappeared - guess due to its natural elasticity.

Further, in case you need to stick those vaccum type GPS navigators etc, it may cause an issue if the installation is not completely airtight (I have not faced any issue so far - my iphone is stuck that way frequently).

I was told Huper-optik windshield is ceramic based instead of metallic, hence GPS/Cellular signals are not affected and that's why opted for it. Not sure how valid that claim is though?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks