Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 14:16   #16
BHPian

re: April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
This is definitely a step in the right direction but these Commercial Vehicles especially trucks MUST also have a regular maintenance certificate something like the pollution certificate. I say this because recently I have been on a couple of road trips that included night time driving and all the trucks is saw seemed to be visible only because of their reflectors. The brake lights themselves, simply don't work again neither do the indicators which makes tailing them extremely dicey :/
They should do it compulsorily for the state-owned buses, especially volvos. The emission is very high, offlate the tail lamps have stopped working.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

This is excellent news!
Next on the list mandatory Front Airbags, followed by stability control : )))

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
While it is a good move..the details are still murky. My questions

2. Is it going to 2 Channel ABS or more? More importantly would it cover all wheels?
I'm not fully educated on the techical side of ABS but I figured that was a given. Would ABS perform its function if it wasn't effecting all the wheels on which brakes are applied?

Last edited by Maky : 17th May 2013 at 14:22.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Excellent news. Also, it is now time to make an anti-jackknifing device mandatory for all articulated vehicles. Right now there are very few, but the number is growing fast. So this is the right time to do it.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 14:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I'm not fully educated on the technical side of ABS but I figured that was a given. Would ABS perform its function if it wasn't effecting all the wheels on which brakes are applied?
Yes it does make a difference with respect to effectiveness. My thought is more what is the bare minimum expectation.
What is the expectation for any vehicle carrying hazardous material now?
Old 17th May 2013, 14:51   #20
BHPian

Welcome move. Along with ABS, Power Steering should be made compulsory for commercial vehicles if not all. I pity those drivers. It would increase the cost not more than 30k but definitely benefit the drivers.

Last edited by abhijitvp : 17th May 2013 at 14:59.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 18:01   #21
BHPian

The first thing that should happen before all this is SENSITIZE these guys towards road discipline. Its a night mare especially on 2 lane highways when trucks occupy both and one is trying to outsmart the other. I have seen most truckers drive on the extreme right on Mumbai - Pune expressway and they even refuse to move to the left leaving no choice for motorists to overtake from left.
In my last visit to Bangkok my bus driver was driving quite fast but stuck to the extreme left lane on their highway. Even when he has to overtake the truck ahead of him he gave the signal, came on the next track momentarily and then dived back into the left most lane. I was honestly mighty impressed by this since most bus drivers in India (especially Volvo's) drive on the extreme right side and care a hoot about car drivers.
Driving aids are going to be of not much help unless the driver's are disciplined in the first place.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 18:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
While it is a good move..the details are still murky. My questions

1.Does it cover only HCV or includes LCVs as well?
2. Is it going to 2 Channel ABS or more? More importantly would it cover all wheels?
Would you agree that having an ABS system however dated, is better than not having it at all?
I welcome this move and hope it becomes applicable to all taxis, private vehicles and personal cars as well soon.
Old 17th May 2013, 19:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

I welcome this move. Cross posting an experience I had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Yesterday, I was on my way back home from Tiruvalla and near Edapally junction, I was following a unloaded Tata truck. It was raining heavily and I was explaining how ABS, ESP will help in these slippery situation to my sister. Hardly 5 minutes later, a bus on the left lane stopped, the car following it could't stop on time and decided to swerve to the right lane. This prompted the lorry in front of me to brake, and by doing so he managed to lock up the rear wheel, and his rear stepped out. He manage to stop, but the vehicle was at 45 degree with half of it in left lane.

My heart skipped a beat, what if I had occupied that left lane. Luckily there was no one in the adjacent lane to the lorry.
I am sure this wouldn't have happened if that lorry had an ABS.
Old 17th May 2013, 21:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post

They should do it compulsorily for the state-owned buses, especially volvos. The emission is very high, offlate the tail lamps have stopped working.
OT:
Volvos are pioneers of automotive safety. The devised the worlds first 3 point seat belts. They have many, many safety innovations credited to their name.
Volvos sold in India also are extremely well equipped. Even more safety gadgets than few million rupees cars. I "assume" all of them will be with ABS.

Also I have seen ABS mentioned in the fuse(or may be relay) box of an MSRTC run ASIAD bus. That particular bus was Tata made. I don't know thought, if the bus was actually equipped with ABS or not, nor do I know if all MSRTC buses have ABS or not!

Last edited by LP640 : 17th May 2013 at 21:14.
Old 17th May 2013, 22:20   #25
BHPian

LOL.

You people think that by adding ABS will just make accidents go away ? ABS has it's advantages but a car even without ABS and a good driver can avoid accidents.

The last thing you want to do is give false hope to drivers that they will be safer even if they drive dumb. A skilled driver can match any electronic aid.
Old 17th May 2013, 23:07   #26
BHPian

Thats an absolutely positive move. To all sceptics, the fact is even if a part of the vehicles adhere to this rule, is it not better than ZERO vehicles following it?

With no personal grudges, I feel our leaders should show some guts and make abs/airbags mandatory for all vehicles. opposition from lobbies can go to hell. If VW can sell cars in europe with ABS and no power windows, I am sure the manufacturers can suffer the dip in sales from the higher cost of these life saving equipments.
Old 17th May 2013, 23:12   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
LOL.

You people think that by adding ABS will just make accidents go away ? ABS has it's advantages but a car even without ABS and a good driver can avoid accidents.

The last thing you want to do is give false hope to drivers that they will be safer even if they drive dumb. A skilled driver can match any electronic aid.
You have a point. Driving tests ought to be more stringent. BUT that does not mean that ABS isn't a big deal. You seem to think that everyone out there is always a good driver. It's almost like saying "haha seatbelts aren't a big deal any good kung-fu artist can jump out the window to avoid impact" xD
No one here said accidents are going to go away but several times ABS does help. Try driving a truck all day, all night even if you are skilled, would you remain a "good" driver throughout? This isn't a racetrack, these are shared roads everyone using them is at risk and I much prefer leaving my confidence on electronic aids rather than the other guys' attention, skills etc
Old 18th May 2013, 00:29   #28
BHPian

A welcome move by the Govt but since the rule comes with a raider that older vehicles are exempt only new ones need to adhere to this.In India we have buses n lorries 10-15 years old in pathetic conditions still running.There is a concept of Fitness Certificate issued to these vehicles wonder how do apply for it how many get it.A welcome move but tip of the iceberg i would say
Old 18th May 2013, 02:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now they use the same trick with ABS. Want a car with ABS? Buy our blinged out high end version for 2 lakhs extra.
No ways they will budge.
Unfortunately, their hold on the govt is too strong for comfort, and we consumers suffer.
Great points TSK

However, could you elaborate on this point: 'their hold on the Govt. is too strong'

Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 11:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
WHY isn't it mandatory for every vehicle out there??? I am always scared when an old Santro or something tails me and I try braking as early and softly as possible in such situations just so that they don't rear-end me
ABS does not increase the brake bite but rather causes START+STOP action of the brake as continuous braking causes the vehicle to skid due to locking of wheels. Infact, the stopping distance will increase by a small margin but reduce the "sway" of the braking vehicle. Check out the Swifts with ABS and you will mostly find scratches on the front bumper. My bro has been a victim many times.

Coming back to the topic, a huge welcome move by MORTH. The govt should also take the third party trailer builders under its ambit as those vehicles are the most risk prone due to their girth & length.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks