Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 14:04   #61
BHPian

re: April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India

While we're discussing safety features in commercial vehicles, I'd like to highlight a heartening discovery I made more than a year (perhaps even two years) back.
I believe the Kerala SRTC orders buses with ABS for their fleet even without any of these regulations. I'm a regular passenger in their 'Super Fast' fleet of buses as well as 'Express/Super Express' fleet that do inter-city trips (don't know about their city services). I end up standing behind the engine and more often than not, I spot a sticker near the driver's footwell that says "This vehicle is equipped with ABS". I was bloody surprised the first time I saw that. It's not every day that you find a government agency proactively favouring safety.
SlowRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 11:14   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I believe the Kerala SRTC orders buses with ABS for their fleet even without any of these regulations......... every day that you find a government agency proactively favouring safety.
The Volvo city buses and quite a few inter-city buses come fitted with EBS which is the next step of ABS. I don't think you have an option of buying non-EBS/non-ABS option from Volvo. That's how a manufacturer promotes safety!! And people still flock behind the Volvo's!!
Old 13th December 2013, 20:15   #63
BHPian

While, these advanced technologies will improve highway safety, I think Indian government can also enhance road safety specifically to two wheeler riders and pedestrians by mandating installation of Side guards to every truck and also limiting ground clearance for non off-road civilian commercial vehicles. Already Rear guard is mandated? as this Times of India says was proposed. This article shows Side guard being voluntarily installed by a company in Canada, they are already mandated in China and Europe.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelinnovator View Post
While, these advanced technologies will improve highway safety, I think Indian government can also enhance road safety specifically to two wheeler riders and pedestrians by mandating installation of Side guards to every truck and also limiting ground clearance for non off-road civilian commercial vehicles. Already Rear guard is mandated? as this Times of India says was proposed. This article shows Side guard being voluntarily installed by a company in Canada, they are already mandated in China and Europe.
These are called as SUPD - Side Under run Protecting Device and are already mandated. SO all new vehicles will be fitted but since they are not a part of your traffic rules, even if a truck is found without this, they are not fined.
April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India-ecomet-1214.jpg
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 12:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

I have a basic silly question. ABS in buses/passenger carriers - ideal.

But in trucks? Makes little sense to me. ABS prevents skidding, and is useful in changing lanes when the road provides less traction or when the brakes are locking up.

The bigger issue is the lack of working brakes in the first place. Or any proper training of some drivers.

What good would ABS have done in an instance like this:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb9_1386443894
Old 14th December 2013, 13:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

What good would ABS have done in an instance like this:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb9_1386443894
Hahaha truckers like these would need the lot: abs, ebd, tcs, esp especially esp.

I do however agree with you; tests ought to be more stringent to filter out all the fools like these from roads. I was flabbergasted by what I saw, I thought to myself, "How? In what universe? What a stupid turdball he must have been to even think for a second that what he did could have been pulled off".

It just saddens me to know how pathetic affairs like this are in our country.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 14:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Hahaha truckers like these would need the lot: abs, ebd, tcs, esp especially esp.

I do however agree with you; tests ought to be more stringent to filter out all the fools like these from roads.
But you know - this tanker would definitely not have been overloaded. Think about the futility of ABS on a typical overloaded truck plodding on our highways at 40 kph, trying to race with another brethren plodding at 39 kph!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 21:05   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Instead of all that, provide a failproof system that wont start up the engine if:
1. The driver is drunk or
2. The driver is underaged or
3. A valid CV licence is not placed in a designated place or
4. The truck is overloaded
5. It aint maintained well
And the like..

Thats the only system that can bring a change in the way these trucks are driven, especially the ones that do shorter runs, perhaps within a state or so. These are the most reckless. Of course this is my imaginary system which is quite easy to write here rather than design and implement one

Coming to the serious topic, ABS is welcome in any vehicle. But that shouldnt shoot up costs. Also it should be done silently. We dont want another strike by truckers who oppose the cost increase just like they did when speed governors were implemented. Hope the trucking or CV owners/drivers realise the importance and go by the rules set.
Old 17th December 2013, 22:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Yes adioholic those are interesting points indeed I think the one where the truck does not start if overloaded, is easily applicable. Load sensors that govern whether or not the truck starts should be easy but making them un-tamper-able is the biggy. Still should be possible.
Also, trucks ought to have modern electricals and wiring that are more robust. Almost all of them have no working tail lights making night time driving difficult for everyone. Is perhaps asking for led tail lamps too much?
Old 30th June 2014, 08:23   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

ABS to be made mandatory - April 2015.

India has made anti-lock braking system (ABS) compulsory on all new models of commercial vehicles staring April next, an endeavour aimed at making the country's notoriously accident-prone roads safer.
While yet-to-be-launched models must have the feature starting next fiscal year, manufacturers will get another six months to fit ABS on new vehicles sold under existing models.

Statistics on accidents,
April 2015: ABS compulsory for commercial vehicles in India-37500991.jpg

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...april/37500986
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 09:08   #71
BHPian

I feel ABS and dual air bags should be made mandatory in all passenger vehicles and cars as well. It won't really jack up costs because we will not need to import stuff like air bags anymore and we can produce everything here only which help us contain the costs.
Also people's perception has to change from "Kitna Deti hai" to "Kya kya safety features hai".
Most people bet on the probability of getting killed in a car accident and hence go for an unsafe car. But they don't under stand that the very small probability, if came true can result in them meeting with their maker.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 10:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

A welcome move. But this should be mandated for passenger cars as well. Only for the fear of increase in price manufacturers maybe be pushing it away .
Old 30th June 2014, 10:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Shares of Wabco, that manufactures these systems, have been going through the roof of late. Today it has so far gained close to 10 per cent :-)
Old 30th June 2014, 11:32   #74
BANNED

One other thing, with articulated vehicles becoming popular we also need anti-jack-knifing systems.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 14:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move. It should be made mandatory for passenger cars also.

Also i dont beleive that these systems cost 1 lac??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks