Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 22:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Volvo Buses unsafe? Prone to fire?

Or to summarize, be considerate to fellow road users.

Being horrendously selfish is the root cause of road accidents. Be it turning without signals, stealing away safety hammers from these buses, using low quality paints for signalling medians and humps, forcing flammable cargos in public transport etc etc.

When people start doing things keeping others well being also in mind, it will be a far better world to live in.

Quoting from the '7 habits' thread over here:
"Road sense is the offspring of courtesy and the parent of safety"
Old 31st March 2014, 13:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

What about the stationary bus that caught fire on being hit in the rear by a truck.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/32772373.cms As per passengers who were standing next to the bus, it was completely in the emergency lane with flashers on and the driver was tinkering with something near the LHS. When it was hit from the rear. The passengers saw the tempo coming and yelled to the driver to run aside.
The driver and the 5 passengers who were outside the bus woke up the others and got them to disembark. http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report-...harred-1972560
Now do you think that batteries below driver, and fuel tank just behind front axle is responsible for this.
Now this bus was going to Bangalore and was not from Bangalore.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
...Additional after-market fuel tanks of questionable safety standards posing significant safety hazard - known fact in transport circles/needs corroborating evidence to prove to public - operator responsible
To my knowledge, operator's don't fit additional fuel tank in Volvo. 600L is more than sufficient. Only in case of Viking, when operated in long routes they extend the fuel tank according to their requirements.
Are Volvo Buses unsafe? Prone to fire?-20130730_154848.jpg

. And this is very common in trucks. Most cases from North have additional tanks, fitted on either sides and cumulative size comes easily to 1000L.
Old 9th April 2014, 15:43   #109
BANNED

Morning when returning home from work, spotted this Volvo 9400 Multi-Axle with an emergency exit on the rear part of the bus (picture attached).

Are Volvo Buses unsafe? Prone to fire?-20140409_071304.jpg

I know it is a good move but, won't such modifications weaken the structure and how does the RTO approve such things?

To me it looks crude.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 15:57   #110
BHPian

Recently, near my home a Kallada B9R met with an accident and on the spot 4 person died. The driver ran away leaving the bus behind.

After people gathered, even though the key was left on the bus, none of them could start the engine and move the bus an inch. I was surprised to hear about this incident. None of the people who came there could even start that bus. Is there any special procedure to start volvos?
Old 9th April 2014, 16:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuunz View Post
Recently, near my home a Kallada B9R met with an accident and on the spot 4 person died. The driver ran away leaving the bus behind.

After people gathered, even though the key was left on the bus, none of them could start the engine and move the bus an inch. I was surprised to hear about this incident. None of the people who came there could even start that bus. Is there any special procedure to start volvos?
I think you are referring to the accident involving the volvo bus and a Maruti 800 car wherein 4 occupants of the car perished near Haripad. Apparently the bus was over speeding at the time of the accident.

Not sure if there is a separate procedure to start a volvo
Old 9th April 2014, 16:12   #112
BANNED

Quote:
It could have gone into limp mode where the ECU doesn't let it start the engine. I may be wrong too.

Then how was the bus moved from that area?

How did the accident take place?

What collided with the bus or vice-versa!

Anurag.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:16   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It could have gone into limp mode where the ECU doesn't let it start the engine. I may be wrong too.

Anurag.
At the time of collision, the volvo was seen overtaking a KSRTC bus. The Car driver coming in the opposite direction made a desperate attempt to avoid taking on head on collision but it was futile attempt. 4 people died on the spot.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:48   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I think you are referring to the accident involving the volvo bus and a Maruti 800 car wherein 4 occupants of the car perished near Haripad. Apparently the bus was over speeding at the time of the accident.

Not sure if there is a separate procedure to start a volvo
Yep! Thats the accident. It was 3 kms from my home, where that accident occurred.

Quote:

Anurag.
I wasn't there when the accident occurred, but my friend was there. According to him, since it could not be moved by driving it, people moved the bus by using a crane. The bus was a wreck after the crane pulled it.

What exactly is the limp mode of ECU ?
Old 9th April 2014, 16:59   #115
BANNED

Quote:
What exactly is the limp mode of ECU ?
The ECU stops the cars engine from starting if the signals it receive are going bonkers or not as it should so the manufacturer must plug-in the ECU to the computer and reset the codes. In short engine malfunction indicator will light up!

Anurag.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:35   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... None of the people who came there could even start that bus. Is there any special procedure to start volvos?
There will be electrical Isolator switch preventing the bus from getting started. You need to switch it on to start the bus. Until this is switched on, there will be no power supply inside the bus.
The first piano switch is Isolator.
Are Volvo Buses unsafe? Prone to fire?-untitled.jpg

Quote:
It could have gone into limp mode where the ECU doesn't let it start the engine. I may be wrong too.....
Limp home mode is a safety feature inbuilt in modern ECU, where in ECU protects the Engine by reducing the torque and power and there by reducing overall speed, when it detects said malfunctions from various inputs.
Which this feature, bus will still start, run but with limited speed of say 40 kmph. Upon rectification and deleting the errors in the ECU, the speed can be revoked.
Ashley2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 18:40   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There will be electrical Isolator switch preventing the bus from getting started. You need to switch it on to start the bus. Until this is switched on, there will be no power supply inside the bus. The first piano switch is Isolator.
Why is that given and what is its primary use?

What is the next button to its right?

Anurag.
Old 9th April 2014, 19:48   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There will be electrical Isolator switch preventing the bus from getting started. You need to switch it on to start the bus. Until this is switched on, there will be no power supply inside the bus.
The first piano switch is Isolator.
That really explains a lot. The bus had key, but still it did not turn on. People were really confused. I saw the bus today near police station, its ruined a lot, since it was pulled by the crane!

If you don't mind, can you tell what those 5 switched are?
Old 9th April 2014, 19:51   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Starting from the left piano switch, the first one cuts electrical power to the bus. Second one is used to raise the ride height of the bus at low speeds if there are any bumps or potholes etc. Third one is to reduce air bellow pressure on the pusher or the extra axle at the rear. Fourth one is for switching off ASR or ESP I m not sure. The last one is for the hill hold feature.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:37   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An update from The Economic Times:

Quote:
The CID on Saturday said a detailed report by the technical experts is being sent to the authorities in the Centre so that to preventive measures can be taken to avoid such accidents.

Some of design lapses include the situation of the fuel tank very close to the battery compartment and the blocking of emergency exit doors by passengers seats in violation of central motor vehicle rules.

The driver was found to have driven rashly and negligently, and dashed a culvert which led to sparks in the battery compartment igniting the fuel in the main fuel tank.

The CID also said that the fuel tanks were made of hard moulded plastic, and the floor of the bus was not steel but plywood and rubber matting. Most of the interior of the bus was made of PVC and vinyl mats, which are highly inflammatory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks