Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2024, 13:14   #1846
BHPian

Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It is true that we have seen more and more automation in the cockpit. But pilots are still trained and certified to fly planes manually.
This reminds me of an interaction with a cousin of mine who is a fighter pilot. I asked him, in peace situation, what's the most diffcult part of flying the figther jet. To which he replied, a drill to stall the jet midair and do the recovery. That made me like
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 15:04   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
This reminds me of an interaction with a cousin of mine who is a fighter pilot. I asked him, in peace situation, what's the most diffcult part of flying the figther jet. To which he replied, a drill to stall the jet midair and do the recovery. That made me like
Yes, all pilots need to train for stall recovery throughout their career. Every pilot will remember the first time doing a stall sitting next to your instructor. Very few students keep their underwear dry!

These days civil pilots don’t do full stalls as part of their training. The FAA discovered more student pilots got killed practicing full stalls, than during normal flying. These days emphasis is on stall prevention and early stall recognition and early recovery.

Another factor is that in civil flying if stalls appear it tend to be very close to the ground, during descent and being on final for landing. No matter how good a pilot you are, there is simply not enough vertical space to recover.

I assume it is very different for military or at least fighter pilots. They might find themselves in a stall at all kinds of different attitudes.

Irrespective, modern fly by wire planes, have also decreased the risk of pilots stalling unintentionally.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 19:57   #1848
Senior - BHPian

@Jeroen this may be a bit OT, but I am not sure how much " hand flying" is done by civil pilots in course of their transiton into modern jetliners. I would love to be in a plane which more handflown than being set to auto pilot in LNAV/ VNAV right after take off if you get what mean. I would imagine military pilots to be much more hands on by definition of the flying requirement.
Old 18th April 2024, 22:30   #1849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
@Jeroen this may be a bit OT, but I am not sure how much " hand flying" is done by civil pilots in course of their transiton into modern jetliners. I would love to be in a plane which more handflown than being set to auto pilot in LNAV/ VNAV right after take off if you get what mean. I would imagine military pilots to be much more hands on by definition of the flying requirement.
We have some real civil pilots on the forum, hopefully they chip in.

The actual hand flying on commercial jets is somewhat limited. A large factor is company policy. There are mandatory requirements too, to fly manually, or automated. A big consideration is fuel efficiency. Going on autopilot and auto throttle is always going to be more efficient than hand flying!

If I go by the discussion on the pilot forums, many feel there is not sufficient manual flying. Of course, this tends to be the older generation pilots talking about the younger generation. Or so it seems to me.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks