Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 18:09   #1756
PGA
BHPian

Re: Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

noted the tyre appears almost worn out.
Aircraft tyres are replaced on condition and are checked prior to each flight as they are landings dependent. Its possible that a new tyre may become unairworthy after one hard landing and another one could last upto 50 landings. Nose wheel tyres could last almost double the time of main wheel tyres.

Motor vehicle tyres are optimised for max desirable friction, aircraft tyres are designed for least necessary friction and ability to withstand huge amount of impact load and resist acquaplaning.. Thus, they have outwardly clean surface with circumferential sunken treads giving appearance of baldness. Even the tread depth indicator is sunken type not protuding like we have in our vehicles.
PGA is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 18:57   #1757
BHPian

For your kind attention, folks living in Delhi

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-img_5750.jpeg
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 21:27   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

According to some of the western newspaper, the biggest danger the G20 delegates face are the monkeys! Apperently, they have hired a whole bunch of people to chase them!

Jeroen
Old 1st September 2023, 22:27   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
According to some of the western newspaper, the biggest danger the G20 delegates face are the monkeys! Apperently, they have hired a whole bunch of people to chase them!

Jeroen
They have installed huge cut out posters of “angry langurs” to shoo away the monkeys. I’m not sure if that will work, when monkeys are known for their cognitive abilities !

But it seems that some of the agenda based “western media” still thinks INDIA to be a snake charmers land.

Sorry, I guess it went OT.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 01:01   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
They have installed huge cut out posters of “angry langurs” to shoo away the monkeys. I’m not sure if that will work, when monkeys are known for their cognitive abilities !

But it seems that some of the agenda based “western media” still thinks INDIA to be a snake charmers land.
I have met those monkeys many times and they are pretty clever!

I don’t think it is about the western media thinking India is a snake charmer land. It is about western media finding a bit of a light hearted topic to an otherwise very serious topic.

I mean G20 delegates security and problems with monkeys! Come on!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 06:01   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
A quick update from SAAB - one of the competing manufacturers for the MRCA contract. So this is an early indication that the RFP is coming up despite the increased orders for the Tejas Mk 1A. Even in the best-case scenario, the selection and contract negotiation is expected to take years with even more time needed before the first Indian-made MRCA starts flying - perhaps by the mid-2030s which is a full 3.5 decades after this requirement was put out - China has developed 2 stealth fighters during the time it took us to select an aircraft for purchase, aircraft available off the market!

The Rafale will almost surely win this unless Lockheed Martin decides to offer the F35 which is highly likely!

Attachment 2496472

Any information on status of AMCA? Came into limelight last year as if lot of traction exist. Now again gone into backburner it seems..
Old 3rd September 2023, 06:06   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post

Sorry, I guess it went OT.

For your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-screenshot_20230901_090806_x.jpg  

naivedyanm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 06:17   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Saw this short documentary on YouTube.
Not sure how authentic this is but if true, its a glaring example of how government short-sightedness is having an impact on our home grown fighter industry half a century later.
If only we persevered, we'd probably be at par with other global powers in fighter jet technology if not rivalling them.

As the author so beautifully mentions in the video: "For the want of an engine, an industry was lost".

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=LgeNkMmuQ3I
There is much that been ignored/gone to the bin due to varying opinions, end-user requirement upgrades and variety of arguable reasons.
And this problem spans across tanks, aircrafts, aircraft engines and even naval arms.

Arjun MBT is an 'on the face' example of whats wrong in the handshake between development and end-user. Be it Marut or the GTRE based Kaveri engine or naval LCA and new requirement of TEDBF. And I missed out, the INSAS replacement!!. All of these are great reminders of what is wrong and what needs to be rectified.

On the other hand, the WhAP and ATAGS production apart from the K9-Vajra with PPP is another reminder of what we can achieve in short turn around times.
Old 15th September 2023, 17:07   #1764
BHPian

Here’s some interesting news, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has given the approval to purchase 12 more Sukhoi Su-30 MKIs. This isn’t recent news as India had approached Russia to purchase 21 refurbished Mig-29s and 12 brand new Sukhoi Su-30 MKIs (the latter obstensibly to replace the airframes lost during crashes over the years) after the Galwan clash.

Interesting to note that the order was placed with HAL and not the UAC (the Russian company), so HAL is the main contractor here. These jets will be modernised with new Indian avionics (assuming including the Uttam AESA radar), infact upto 60% of the airframes will be indigenised (that’s almost as much as the Tejas).

While there has been some questions on the quality of Russian weaponry, it does make sense to purchase more of these jets with (more robust) Indian avionics and weapons. I’d think it would make sense to purchase atleast 50 more Su-30s along with the planned purchases of Tejas Mk1As and Rafales to hold the fort till the Tejas Mk2s and AMCAs come in. The remaining Su-30 jets would probably be upgraded to the same standard as well.
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 21:25   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Here’s some interesting news, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has given the approval to purchase 12 more Sukhoi Su-30 MKIs. This isn’t recent news as India had approached Russia to purchase 21 refurbished Mig-29s
What happened to the plans to purchase refurbished Mig-29s? I have been hearing about it for years but I don't think anything materialised.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 02:53   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
What happened to the plans to purchase refurbished Mig-29s? I have been hearing about it for years but I don't think anything materialised.
Nothing about that. I’m assuming on hold due to the issue of making payments. These have to be bought directly from the Russians unlike the Su-30s which is license built by HAL.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 21:07   #1767
Senior - BHPian

An ex-Air India A321 spotted in Indian Air Force markings

Quote:
Last evening, an IAF aircraft on a routine mission, combined efforts with a team from Army Hospital R&R to facilitate the retrieval of a life-saving liver organ from Goa Medical College to Delhi. The liver was transplanted successfully, saving the life of a soldier.
Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-20230916_210459.jpg

Combat Aircraft of the Indian Air Force-20230916_210454.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 21:52   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
An ex-Air India A321 spotted in Indian Air Force markings
Does it make sense to fly a 100 plus seat plane for such a small cargo?
Old 16th September 2023, 22:30   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Does it makesense to fly a 100 plus seat plane for such a small cargo?
My thoughts too.

Have a look at this article, not a great idea transporting livers over great distance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5107596/

Quote:
Airplane transport of donor livers was independently associated with reduced graft survival following liver transplantation
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:36   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Does it make sense to fly a 100 plus seat plane for such a small cargo?
These ex-AI A319s and A321s are slated to be converted into platforms for AWACS/SIGINT/COMJAM roles for the IAF, which means the normal seats on the aircraft will be/have been removed for conversion. We already had seen ex-AI A319 VT-SCO in an all gray livery with 'DRDO Flight Test Bed' titles in the aircraft.

The caption says this A321 was on a routine mission possibly flying from Goa to Delhi.A case of being at the right place at the right time.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks