Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2018, 21:28   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
It can also in addition to all the various scenarios elaborated above, be a simple case of messing up your calculations as seen in this famous Emirates incident.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Flight_407

Not the first time this has happened. It is why good pilots double check their calculations. Also, before you start the take off, you should try and have some idea where along the runway V1 is going to be. There are no instruments on the flight deck to tell you you are going to slow and or accelerate to slowly. Other then the good old eye ball mk1.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 02:58   #212
BHPian

Airhostess falls off plane while closing the door

another bad-rep for Indian airline

Looks like Air -India will now be on everybody's Do Not Fly list. How can someone lose their balance while closing? Don't they close from inside and wouldn't this happen close to air-bridge. Raises questions on fitness of air cabin crew have in case of emergencies if they cannot close a door properly during flight

Last edited by DWind : 16th October 2018 at 03:00.
Old 16th October 2018, 03:39   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
another bad-rep for Indian airline

Looks like Air -India will now be on everybody's Do Not Fly list. How can someone lose their balance while closing? Don't they close from inside and wouldn't this happen close to air-bridge. Raises questions on fitness of air cabin crew have in case of emergencies if they cannot close a door properly during flight

You would be surprised. This happens at least a dozen times every year. There is probably not an airline in the world without a similar accident.

Doors are rarely opened in flight and thus the need to close a door properly inflight is not required. In fact there is no way to open a door on an airplane in flight. The cabin is pressurized and the door fits in its frame from the inside like a plug. So the pressure differential keeps it closed.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 19:56   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A trip I'd like to forget: Onboard the Jet Airways flight that skidded off a runway

I gather it was a drop of thirty feet? Some reports underplay the incident, others report the poor lady's state as critical. People die falling off the terraces of two-storey houses. This would be more like three.
Old 16th October 2018, 20:51   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A trip I'd like to forget: Onboard the Jet Airways flight that skidded off a runway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I gather it was a drop of thirty feet? Some reports underplay the incident, others report the poor lady's state as critical. People die falling off the terraces of two-storey houses. This would be more like three.
This was a Boeing 777, That is indeed a big drop!

http://avherald.com/h?article=4beff6a0&opt=0
Old 27th November 2018, 09:32   #216
BHPian

So finally the report is officially up on DGCA website. Link here

And attached is a piece of news coverage by ToI on this today.

It seems that this is official and pretty much evident that it was a pilot error. To all those, I promised that I'd apologize if this wasn't a pilot error, I owe you nothing now. And I expect nothing from you either. Just that I am still very curious to know the name of the airline a particular pilot (who became over aggressive in defence of the pilots of this ill fated flight) flies for. I just need to include that airline in my 'No fly list'

Peace and god bless!
Attached Thumbnails
A trip I'd like to forget: Onboard the Jet Airways flight that skidded off a runway-download.png  

1lokesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:52   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
To all those, I promised that I'd apologize if this wasn't a pilot error, I owe you nothing now. And I expect nothing from you either.
To add: This very post shows you up for what you are. For all of us to see.

Without factual knowledge making judgement calls is not very constructive, although on public forums perfectly allowed.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:34   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
To add: This very post shows you up for what you are. For all of us to see.

Without factual knowledge making judgement calls is not very constructive, although on public forums perfectly allowed.

Jeroen

You're welcome to form your own judgements sir, if you wish . As you mentioned, this is a 'public forum'

Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:34   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Related video:

This is probably what the pilots did not do during take-off. The maker of this video is a 737 captain.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 27th November 2018 at 11:37.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 15:57   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
This is probably what the pilots did not do during take-off.
On top of that they also failed to follow proper rejected take off procedure.

Also, when reading through the report I feel the way the situation on the ground was handled was a mess. They were very lucky that there was no fire and no serious incidents. But there were problems with both the ambulances and fire tenders.

Jeroen

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2018 at 17:46. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 28th November 2018, 08:01   #221
BHPian

This mentourpilot videos are really nicely made. Super!
Old 28th November 2018, 12:12   #222
BHPian

Quote:

It seems that this is official and pretty much evident that it

Peace and god bless!
Isn't it the same incident where the one of the pilots of the ill fated flight took to social media, rather aggressively, defending himself and berating everyone who had commented about the incident as ignoramuses and fools who knew nothing about airplanes and absolving himself of any mistake.

I would like to know what happens to pilots who make such fatal basic errors. What is the punishment, do they get to fly again?

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 28th November 2018 at 12:13.
Old 28th November 2018, 21:35   #223
BHPian

Quote:

It seems that this is official and pretty much evident that it was a pilot error. To all those, I promised that I'd apologize if this wasn't a pilot error, I owe you nothing now. And I expect nothing from you either. Just that I am still very curious to know the name of the airline a particular pilot (who became over aggressive in defence of the pilots of this ill fated flight) flies for. I just need to include that airline in my 'No fly list'

Peace and god bless!
Hats off to you Sir for having been brave enough to have made your copy of the report available here in Team BHP months before the link was put up in DGCA website

Incidentally, the aircraft involved according to multiple internet sources was returned to active service in just 6 months.

Also is the P1 of the flight in question still flying in Indian skies? Any way of finding out?

As for the situation in the ground being a mess....

What is NEW?

I know some "experts" feel accident reports are a waste of time. However VT-EPN @ BLR, VT-AXV @ IXE and VT-JBG @ GOI all tell the same story - 1990/2010/2016.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 23:15   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To all those, I promised that I'd apologize if this wasn't a pilot error, I owe you nothing now. And I expect nothing from you either.
Peace and god bless!
Like your family we were all pleased to learn you, and the other passengers, got out safe. But I am curious why this sneering tone towards the others on this forum. Pardon the language, it is uncharacteristic of me, but why this middle finger attitude towards the forum members. Most of us, in fact all of us empathized with you and shared your concerns. No one if I recall right asked you to apologize for anything. Hence as an early responder to this thread and someone who forwarded that silly pilot's letter to DGCA my curiosity is piqued at what I view as very shoddy manners.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 28th November 2018 at 23:24.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 10:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Like your family we were all pleased to learn you, and the other passengers, got out safe. But I am curious why this sneering tone towards the others on this forum. Pardon the language, it is uncharacteristic of me, but why this middle finger attitude towards the forum members. Most of us, in fact all of us empathized with you and shared your concerns. No one if I recall right asked you to apologize for anything. Hence as an early responder to this thread and someone who forwarded that silly pilot's letter to DGCA my curiosity is piqued at what I view as very shoddy manners.
Sir, the post was only directed to those with condescending tone, (specifically for the ones who used a tone like "I give a damn what you think") defending the pilots in the initial stages of this thread. I hope you'd remember. At that point, I had in my earnest intention offered to apologize for my 'jumping the gun' comments, which I still believe might not have been placed correctly.

I have, had in past and will always be thankful and indebted to the support I have received from the members of this forum. There is no intention of mine to disrespect them. I can never do that.
1lokesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks