Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:02   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
On the contrary, the official website of volvo bus just talks of 9400 intercity bus and 8400 city bus. No mention of B7R or B9R, Volvo 9400 intercity bus : Volvo Buses - India
The Mercedes website does not mention anything about their buses in India too!
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:00   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
IMO, volvo is making a blunder by dropping B7R name from its buses. B7R is a fairly well known name , built over a period of years & to me makes no sense to drop it. May be they could have given the new twin rear axle buses a new name , while persisting with B7Rs for the normal volvos.
B7R and B9R are chassis names. Internationally, Volvo buses are/were sold by their model names (9400 etc.). It was only in India (probably) that it was launched with the chassis name.

I think "Volvo" as a brand is much bigger than the "B7R" name. Hence, it really won't make any difference, if the B7R is dropped.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:22   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Isuzu Truck today.White colour body with temp registeration.sorry no pictures.Is it swaraj isuzu make?BTW ,it spotted only a ISUZU badge.
Looked similar to this:

Isuzu Commercial Vehicles - Low Cab Forward Trucks - N-Series Overview

Last edited by deepclutch : 13th May 2009 at 21:29.
Old 14th May 2009, 09:30   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Volvo scoop

Last friday I was passing by the VOLVO factory, and I can swear that I saw two of these standing outside inconspicuously.

(I don't have a mobile, and was doing 100 Kmph, so didn't stop to snoop around. Did not have the guts to post a 'non-real' picture but got courage seeing the below post)
  • The trucks looked exactly like the ones pictured below. Cab on chassis - rigid chassis (I know some of you are thinking how come the bloke noticed so much while flying past at 100kmph - well, the factory is on a sweeping bend on a wide highway, and its possible to take your eyes off the highway and check out the wares in the stockyard)
  • VOLVO is going to set the cat among the pigeons if it manages to prcie the truck right - It could be the next 1210/1613 of India
  • Atleast now AL and TATA should wake up and get the NOVOUS and IVECO range in India
  • Watch out all you cars, you'll are going to find trucks in your rear view mirrors more often now
  • Wonder how they will cope with the penchant of Indian drivers to overload their vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-truck-1.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-truck-chassis.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th May 2009, 15:35   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Is Volvo city bus hitting cochin roads ?

heard that 150 volvo city buses hitting cochin , is that right ?
Old 14th May 2009, 19:38   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

heard that 150 volvo city buses hitting cochin , is that right ?
It would have been really nice if you quote your source of information when "breaking" news.

Anyways, thats just a rumour. Kochi is getting 200 buses - 120 Semi-low floor Non AC buses, 50 Volvos and 30 Mini-buses

Trivandrum is getting 150 buses - 120 Semi-low floor non AC and 30 AC Low Floor (reportedly Volvos).

The Hindu has reported that orders for Volvos have been placed, and delivery would commence next month.
Old 14th May 2009, 19:44   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
It would have been really nice if you quote your source of information when "breaking" news.

Anyways, thats just a rumour. Kochi is getting 200 buses - 120 Semi-low floor Non AC buses, 50 Volvos and 30 Mini-buses

Trivandrum is getting 150 buses - 120 Semi-low floor non AC and 30 AC Low Floor (reportedly Volvos).

The Hindu has reported that orders for Volvos have been placed, and delivery would commence next month.

what I heard was a rumor
Old 14th May 2009, 19:53   #1178
Senior - BHPian

@foby.sebastian: The news about new volvos and Ashok Leyland buses for ernakulam and trivendrum was reported on malayala manorama newspaper(ekm edition BTW!).
Old 14th May 2009, 19:53   #1179
Senior - BHPian

The Volvo Copy!

I had reported a "Copycat" BMTC bus roaming around in the city, a while back. This particular bus looks exactly like a Volvo, but is actually a Leyland. BMTC has cleverly built a body similar to a Volvo, and mounted it on an Ashok Leyland Rear Engine (semi-low floor) bus. The give away is the height of the floor, and the obvious difference in length. They charge Volvo fares in this bus, which is half as powerful as a Volvo. The ride, however, is comfortable.

Here is one image of this bus. (You may view the remaining images here)

(I am sorry for the watermark, but I find it really necessary. Images have been copied shamelessly from here and my personal site and used without any kind of credit).

The bus on the right is the copycat, and on the left is an actual Volvo. Look at the similarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-comparetbhp.jpg  

Last edited by binaiks : 14th May 2009 at 19:55.
Old 14th May 2009, 20:10   #1180
Senior - BHPian

volvo can sue BMTS for design copy. its exactly the same as volvo....
Old 14th May 2009, 23:20   #1181
BHPian

Good catch, binaiks! Going by the registration number on the bus, it sure seems atleast 5-6 years old. Am assuming that they have used a discarded body shell of a Volvo B7RE. Is the AC driven off a separate engine (assuming that the one that currently does duty in it might not be that powerful) ?
Old 14th May 2009, 23:24   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! That's a well-finished copy I must say.They must have lifted of original Volvo panels and built this dead ringer for a volvo low floor bus
Old 15th May 2009, 09:52   #1183
Senior - BHPian

BEST should make such buses in Mumbai man..
Old 15th May 2009, 10:48   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Good catch, binaiks! Going by the registration number on the bus, it sure seems atleast 5-6 years old. Am assuming that they have used a discarded body shell of a Volvo B7RE. Is the AC driven off a separate engine (assuming that the one that currently does duty in it might not be that powerful) ?
IT should be way more than 6 years old. AFAIK, Leyland semi-low floors were introduced in 2001-2002. This bus should be of the initial batch. The main engine powers the AC too. The bus is powered by a 167hp rear mount engine. The bus rides very well, and I was really impressed with the ride. The pick up is poor (understandable, since the engine is way too 'light' for the load). The overall fit an finish is just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Wow!! That's a well-finished copy I must say.They must have lifted of original Volvo panels and built this dead ringer for a volvo low floor bus
There was one Volvo that was damaged in an accident - the bus was torched by protestors after the bus ran over a couple of people (the driver reported stepped on the gas pedal instead of brake). The bus was written off following the accident. I believe they have used panels from that bus to make this one. The work is really amazing, given the fact that this is made by BMTC's own workshop.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:01   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The Volvo Copy!

I had reported a "Copycat" BMTC bus roaming around in the city, a while back. This particular bus looks exactly like a Volvo, but is actually a Leyland. BMTC has cleverly built a body similar to a Volvo, and mounted it on an Ashok Leyland Rear Engine (semi-low floor) bus. The give away is the height of the floor, and the obvious difference in length. They charge Volvo fares in this bus, which is half as powerful as a Volvo. The ride, however, is comfortable.

The bus on the right is the copycat, and on the left is an actual Volvo. Look at the similarity.
Saw the Copy Cat Volo in broken down condition in Hosur Road today evening near the authorized Volvo bus service center. How Ironic!

-- Wind
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks