Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:07   #1
BHPian

3 Trains collide in Odisha | Over 200 dead, 900 injured

Got this very sad news, two trains met with an accident, according to the Screenshot uploaded Train 1 hit goods train and got derailed while train 2 had hit train 1 which led to it's derailment.

Innocent lives lost for no mistake of there own.
Om Shanti.

Government has announced compensation to the victims, but no amount of money can compensate the grief and pain.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Trains collide in Odisha | Over 200 dead, 900 injured-screenshot_2023060223015517_09b0decbe4b7d7c0b880bfd3cec2697c.jpg  

udzgodfather is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by udzgodfather View Post
Got this very sad news, two trains met with an accident, according to the Screenshot uploaded Train 1 hit goods train and got derailed while train 2 had hit train 1 which led to it's derailment.

Om Shanti.

Government has announced compensation to the victims, but no amount of money can compensate the grief and pain.
Terrible terrible accident.
Reports say it's actually 3 trains colliding.
Death toll already stated to be above 100.
Life is so unpredictable.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 00:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Oh my god that's terrible! Trains are supposed to be among the safest modes of transport, how on earth did it happen? Don't they have failsafe mechanisms to prevent this? Did the train get derailed, and if so how? This is unacceptable
Old 3rd June 2023, 06:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Om Shanti.

As per latest news, more than 200 passengers are dead. May their soul Rest In Peace. 2 passenger and 1 goods train involved but still not sure how this disaster happened.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...N&ceid=IN%3Aen
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Trains collide in Odisha | Over 200 dead, 900 injured

Every time I see news about train collisions, I am reminded of the incidents where my grandfather saved the train. Spare a thought for the thousands of loco pilots who do their duty diligently. Of course, there may be technical or human factors involved. How much of it is preventable is the question. In my grandfathers case, in one of the instances he stopped the train from colliding with another stationary goods train within 10 feet. This was at a station "outer" and he had been incorrectly marshalled into the side track instead of the through pass. The signalman was found snoring in the cabin. Dont want to get into the rest of the details. It was a time when even TV was not around, forget social media.
fhdowntheline is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 09:44   #6
BANNED

It is time the Government establishment, Indian Railway Board to continue upgrade the tracks to higher speed operations.
BUT only allow higher speed, 130 kmph and above, operations after in cab signaling, CBTC (Communication based Train Control) and KAVACH technology which is a ATP (Automatic Train Protection) system are well implemented on all the trains.

I offer my condolences to the families whose members were victims in this tragedy.
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Really sad scene this is. Around 288 dead and more to be expected :( 3 trains colliding is just unbelievable and really scary.
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is terrible. 3 trains colliding. I thought we now have the technology which applies brakes automatically if trains come in vicinity on the same track. Really astonished that it is not the case as yet, or at least in some sections. Death toll will be quite high, it is already 300, and around a 1000 people are injured. Pictures of the spot exhibit the intensity of this accident. So many lives lost who didn't deserve to die.

Rest in peace, people.
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I thought we now have the technology which applies brakes automatically if trains come in vicinity on the same track. Really astonished that it is not the case as yet, or at least in some sections.
Apparently not yet implemented in this section

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/indi...-railways.html
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:14   #10
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This is terrible. 3 trains colliding. I thought we now have the technology which applies brakes automatically if trains come in vicinity on the same track. Really astonished that it is not the case as yet, or at least in some sections. Death toll will be quite high, it is already 300, and around a 1000 people are injured. Pictures of the spot exhibit the intensity of this accident. So many lives lost who didn't deserve to die.

Rest in peace, people.
If what I read is correct, only about 2% of the nationwide railway network has some sort of automated anti-collision technology in place. Priorities!! What a shame!
M35 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:47   #11
BHPian

Simply Bizarre! Never heard of accident like this. Three trains together, what happened to the automation, signals, kavach system and other “run safe” mechanisms. This simply sinks my heart.

However, Waiting for the investigation report to come out and I hope someone would held responsible and accountable for the incident. Human error or sabotage ?

RIP the poor souls and speedy recovery for the injured.
Old 3rd June 2023, 15:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
... Trains are supposed to be among the safest modes of transport...
Indeed trains are safest mode of transportation. Imagine what would have happened if those were 3 flights instead. Very very very low probability of any survivors.

Passenger trains in India can carry around 1200-1500 people (accounting some vacant seats and people without tickets or waitlisted tickets). 2 passenger trains in this accident would mean around 2400-3000 passengers, out of which casualties are around 300 (10 to 12%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
... Don't they have failsafe mechanisms to prevent this?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
It is time the Government establishment, Indian Railway Board to continue upgrade the tracks to higher speed operations.
BUT only allow higher speed, 130 kmph and above, operations after in cab signaling, CBTC (Communication based Train Control) and KAVACH technology which is a ATP (Automatic Train Protection) system are well implemented on all the trains.
It is easier said than done. Even with emergency brakes applied, trains take about 2-3 minutes on average to stop (depends on speed of train and gradient of the tracks). This is by design as any shorter stopping time increases the risk of derailment (which is ironical in respect to this accident).

There are many unknowns in this case: How the first derailment happened (different news channel have different stories)?
How much time lapsed between first derailment and second train hitting it?

Only after a proper investigation, we will know what was the root cause and what could have prevented this accident.
Having said that, there is no foolproof mechanism to prevent such incidents in future. That's an unrealistic expectation!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As described by one of the passengers - going smoothly at 100-110, and next thing: in a span of 30-40 seconds, everyone is all over the place. Description by the passenger shows a very strong possibility of removal of fish-plate.

(no, I am not an expert. I am sharing what I have come across)
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:30   #14
BHPian

I believe it is not 3 trains colliding or a signaling error or KAVACH failure.

One train, the Coromandel Express, gets derailed at a 3-digit cruising speed and the locomotive and coaches are all over the place that includes collision with a looped goods train and also get on the adjacent track on the main line. Then the other train, also at a cruising 3-digit speed, hits the coaches of the Coromandel and hence the magnitude of the unfortunate accident amplifies. Condolences to the families of the bereaved and wishing speedy recovery to those injured.

If accounts of witnesses are to be believed, then any problem with the trainset of the CE as a possibility of its derailment is ruled out. That leaves only one possibility and that is a track fracture or broken / misplaced fishplates on the track on which the CE was running and would not be out of place to investigate as to why the same was not diagnosed during the inspection of tracks as area of accident being a station having two loop lines.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:59   #15
BANNED

And on the third track came the speedy BLR howrah express
SNA411 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks