Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 11:29   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews- Another accident today near Alleppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Both Mathrubhoomi and Malayala Manorama (Malayalam dailies) are reporting on their online news that today early morning a Trivandrum bound "air bus" from Bangalore collided with a jeep proceeding in the opposite direction near Alleppy. Two people in the jeep are reported to have lost their lives. As expected, the name of the bus operator involved is not mentioned by either website.
A photo of the bus involved in the accident: (Courtesy Malayala Manorama)
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-new3.jpg  

Old 6th July 2012, 12:44   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I can't believe that two lives lost in this accident as the damages are not much.

OT: The news channels are still using the terms "Jeep" and "Airbus" as standard for all.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:51   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I can't believe that two lives lost in this accident as the damages are not much.
Looking at the Sumo Grande, it seems that those who perished must've been seated at the extreme right on the second and third rows. The bus would've hit them squarely, at the C-pillar, transferring the momentum to the unsuspecting passengers.

Quote:
OT: The news channels are still using the terms "Jeep" and "Airbus" as standard for all.
The Grande is a 'van' for Manja Manorama (I loathe that newspaper), and for them, KSRTC builds chassis on buses too. They had/have an auto journal, which sometimes gives a lot many such funny stuff.

Last edited by silversteed : 6th July 2012 at 14:01.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:56   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Looking at the Sumo Grande, it seems that those who perished must've been seated at the extreme right on the second and third rows. The bus would've hit them squarely, at the C-pillar, transferring the momentum to the unsuspecting passengers.
Yes, you are right. In addition, since it is reported that they were proceeding for a family function, there could be more passengers in Grande.
Old 6th July 2012, 14:30   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

You are correct. The two people who received fatal injuries were seated in the seats just behind the driver as per the report in the print edition of Malayala Manorama. There were 11 people including the infant in the vehicle. The bus was overtaking another vehicle when it had the collision as per the report.
Old 6th July 2012, 15:57   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the Sumo was in the opposite lane (maybe trying to overtake someone) and didnt come back to his lane on time. Hence the bus has banged the rear section of the Sumo or vice versa i.e. bus overtaking someone and bangs the Sumo

Last edited by f1fan : 6th July 2012 at 16:01.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:15   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
ramzsys,
ABT can revise their timings
It is puzzling why it must go UDT and then Tiruppur. Udumalpet-Pollachi-Tiruppur atleast makes some sense.

If 4 laning of Avinashi road is over, i guess most buses heading to BLR/Chennai might take the CBE road and the L&T bypass.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:48   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If 4 laning of Avinashi road is over, i guess most buses heading to BLR/Chennai might take the CBE road and the L&T bypass.
I dont think this will happen because ABT gets handful of passengers in both Udumalpet and tirupur. Taking Coimbatore road and L&T bypass from pollachi will result in revenue loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
It is puzzling why it must go UDT and then Tiruppur. Udumalpet-Pollachi-Tiruppur atleast makes some sense.
They wont think of running them as Udumalpet-Pollachi-Tirupur-Bangalore for simple reason that they have a good workshop at Pollachi. IMO they wont skip Udumalpet too because they get handful of passengers in UDT for both bangalore and chennai routes.

You can also see KPN buses resting inside NM&Co in Coimbatore road.

For few months, their Pollachi-Chennai bus went to tirupur directly and now it is routed via udumalpet.

One new travels named Sri Kumaran Travels launched their Pollachi-Chennai service few months back. What surprised me is that the route it takes. It is Pollachi-Chennai via Kinathukadavu, Coimbatore, Annur, Puliyampatti, Sathy, Gobi, Krishnagiri, Vellore.
Old 8th July 2012, 13:37   #1974
Senior - BHPian

On account of the positive experience in the onward journey via ABT, i booked the day trip service to Cbe from BLR ignoring the redbus warning that the bus rating is lower in punctuality. Bus started late by about half hour and reached at a leisurely 9.45 pm as against the expected 8 pm. Poor punctuality indeed.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:40   #1975
BHPian

Parveen Travels - Aluva - Chennai -Merc Muti Axle (via Pondy)

This is one of the most expensive options between the two cities at Rs 1350.Only the Corona sleeper of the same operator at 1400 is more expensive. The operator gives a web discount (unlike operators like KPN which adds an extra charge) of 5%.

Bus leaves Ernakulam at 4.15, reached Aluva at 5 PM and had reached Pondy at 4 Am and Thiruvanmiyur at 6 AM. Very courteous staff, luggage is tagged and assistance given by the condcutor to help load/unload your bags. A "welcome kit" of a biscuit packet, tetra pak fruit juice and water is given on board. Bus goes inside Coimbatore town as it is a boarding point for them. The day my family travelled, it did not enter Trichur as there were no bookings, otherwise I believe they enter Trichur as well. Stopped for dinner near Palghtat .Interiors and exterior are well maintained, bus was in good condition, driving was steady and the service overall was very good.

Verdict - Will not hesitate to use this service again. Most convenient if you are near OMR (which is apprently the target group for this service and the routing via Pondy). The courteous service is a big boon.

Cool Clouds - A special thanks for you on your feedback on the Kallada service. Their bus via Pondy left before Parveen but had still not reached when Parveen arrived at 6 AM. Kallada is only cheaper by 50 Rs.

Silver Steed- Thank you for your invaluable feedback on the suggestion for taking the Pondy route and getting down at Thiruvanmiyur and the feedback on various options from Koyambedu to Thiruvanmiyur. I got an M5 from CMBT and reached well in time to meet my family coming by Parveen. Unfortunately "Road Link" had a "private party charter" on the day I travelled, so the bus was full . I took the first KeSRTC Volvo from Bangalore which was at 8.30 PM. The bus was a B7R Mysore Bangalore Chennai service. Left on time , had the dinner break at Coffee Day/McDonalds at Shoolagiri and reached CMBT at 4 AM. Sedate driving and the bus was good although showing its age! Only point I noted is that the the charge is same whether you book in advance or purchase the ticket directly from the conductor - no separate reservation charge.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 10:53   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parveen Travels - Aluva - Chennai -Merc Muti Axle (via Pondy)...
Thank you for the review on the Parveen Travels' service.

Quote:
Silver Steed- Thank you for your invaluable feedback... I took the first KeSRTC Volvo from Bangalore which was at 8.30 PM...
You're most welcome! Glad that everything went fine.

I assume it was a typo which I've highlighted
Old 9th July 2012, 11:30   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Ernakulam-Bangalore: As usual, all seats online were sold out in most of the buses for Sunday. Checked with Princy Travels and they had few tickets available on Sharma transports. I got seat no. 24, single seat on 8:15 pm dep bus (2+1) and transferred payment to their bank account.

The bus arrived on time and the local guy inside shuffled seat nos and I got a single seat in third row. The bus didn't stop for dinner and reached Electronic city only at 8.10am. The leg space is too little compared to other 2+2 buses and it was a slow service.

Kallada is introducing new B9R service to Chennai via Vellore and another B9R to Mangalore/Uduppi/Manippal.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:20   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kallada is introducing new B9R service to Chennai via Vellore and another B9R to Mangalore/Uduppi/Manippal.
They've already introduced. All of them started running by Sunday. The new routes launched by this last week is Kayamkulam-Chennai (Via Ernakulam, Vellore), Kottayam-Bangalore (Via Pala, MVPA, Thrissur, Hosur) and Trivandrum-Mangalore-Manipal. All are Volvo B9Rs.

With these additions, they now operate 40 Volvo B9R buses daily. They would be adding two Mercedes Benz Multi-Axle Sleeper buses very soon.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:46   #1979
BHPian

Traveled last weekend from Bangalore to Pune and back.

Bangalore - Pune, National Travels, Volvo B9R.

Departure: The bus departed on time or shall I say it was waiting for me . Well it was supposed to start at 5:30 pm from Majestic but I think I was the last one to board at that stop. Boarded at 5:40 pm and the bus moved on.
I thought 1.5 hrs from EC to Majestic would be sufficient but in peak hrs. the BMTC bus took 1 hr. 35 minutes.

Bus condition: This was by far the best Volvo I traveled in. None of the other B9Rs were bad but the moment I entered the bus it made an impact. I can't single out any one factor but overall the interior was quite good. Water bottle and blanket was provided.

Stoppages: It stopped at some poor dhaba around 8:30. This is the problem with National. The stops they choose are really sub-standard. The wash rooms were non existant and the dhaba looked really poor. The stoppage was wrapped up in 35 minutes which is good.

Next morning, just before Pune, it stopped for 25 minutes. Even this was a poor place. Just before this, the Hotel Natraj was there. This is the regular stop of KSRTC and VRL etc., but National chose this one. This place and Natraj both are on the other side (Pune - Bangalore) than the direction of travel, but still these guys take the pain to take the B9R to other side through a punctured divider.
SRS had also stopped at this place.

Arrival: As per the red bus timing, it is supposed to arrive at 6:50. It was at Katraj at 7:30 and Wakad at 8:20 am. So punctuality wise, I'd rate this service a little lower.

Driving style was good.

Return, Pune - Bangalore, SRS Travels, Volvo B9R.

Departure: The bus comes from Mumbai. The timing was 4:30 pm but it came 10 minutes late. All the passengers were there so did not stop long for pick up.

Bus condition: The bus was good. Water bottle and blanket was provided. One thing I observed was the last row (5 seat one) was a simple bench. This means, unlike others, SRS does not sell these seats at market prices. I really appreciated that. I once travelled in the last row (with National) and I was wondering all the time why I need to shell out full ticket money for this row, which does not have reclining seats, no sheen support (no semi-sleeper?), was positioned exactly above the engine hence all the engine noise seeping in and much hotter with no feeling of air conditioning.
There were few people on those seats, yesterday, in SRS, but they looked like short distance travelers picked up by the driver.

Stoppages: Stopped only for dinner at Hotel Navami after Satara. This is okay kind of place. The washrooms were decent enough. This is also a place frequented by Volvos. Lots of them had stopped here. The stop lasted for 35 minutes.

Arrival: The scheduled arrival time was 6:30, I think. It was at Majestic at 6:50.
Driving style was good.Overall a good experience.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:48   #1980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...With these additions, they now operate 40 Volvo B9R buses daily. They would be adding two Mercedes Benz Multi-Axle Sleeper buses very soon.
Is that the total number of service or the number of bus.
If its number of buses then they are nearing SRM in this.
KPN has about 78 multi axles as a info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks