Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 08:44   #466
BHPian

Where are you boarding from? Aluva or EKM itself? This bus usually makes it to Bangalore by 4 AM - Atleast it used to during its Super Fast days. The buses are usually well maintained. Please share your experience once you are back at Bangalore.
UNQUOTE

I am boarding from Ernakulam itself. They offered me the boarding at Alwaye which is nearer for me , but the boarding point was "byepass" and with no designated point and the weather being so unpredictable at this time of the year, didnt want to risk waiting in the rain. So I have decided to combine some work at Ernakulam and board from there. Since it is a 2x 3 layout, ensured that booked one of the window seats on the "2" section.

Incidentally, the other KSRTC (Karnataka) has FINALLY introduced a boarding point in Alwaye. This is again in the byepass outside Sona Travels office . Sona Travels also has now got a booking agency for Karnataka SRTC. But here are a few points to consider before using them (my personal view).

1 Their (Sona Travels) staff are polite and they have a good waiting area in their office, but their staff is not too well informed about the KSRTC services and apparently not too keen to push them as well (Dont forget they have their own Volvo plus I understand the other operators also give them a higher commission).

2 Unlike those for private operators, they will not give you updates like whether the bus has left Ernakulam etc etc. For this I suggest you get hold of the number of the agency outisde the Ernakulam bus station who should be able to give you this info (atleast for EKM originating buses). Also if the bus has a last minute cancellation, not too sure whether they will help with alternate arrangements. With other private operators they may be more flexible. This is an important point to consider if you are returning on Sundays. A couple of years back, the Sunday after Onam, the bus I had booked on (an operator called Ambica Travels) had a disruption as the incoming bus had an accident. But the agency (not Sona but their next door rival Zam Zam travels) still managed to get me a seat on a Shama Volvo coming from Trivandrum and I was more than happy to pay the difference. I am sure Sona will do the same for private operators, but with KSRTC this may not happen and even the refund may take time if the "internet is down".

3 Had to runaround for three days to book since "Internet was down". Hence if you are booking with them, ensure you call first and check whether their systems are up. However the ticket they issue is not an E Ticket but the normal KSRTC ticket stock.

4 You may have a long wait at Alwaye. In my case the 1745 dep from Ernakulam reached Alwaye at 1900- but still made it to Majestic at 7.15 Am next day and despite the bus spending one hour in Coimbatore filling up vacant seats.

Best bet will be to either book on the internet or at their Ernakulam office but put the boarding option at Alwaye.

One more observation this time with the Kerala SRTC busus. I am a regular on their 1930 AC bus from Bangalore to Trichur. In late May when I travelled, they used the elevated express way. After that I have travelled two more times and they use the normal road with its attendant traffic jams and you easily lost an hour both times. The reason is apparently the new "passenger friendly initiative" of introducing additional stops at Bommanahalli and Elctronic City. But point to note is that both times, only one or two pax boarded from both these stops and thus you waste an hour inconveniecing everyone else (most people still board from Satellite or St Johns) for this "passenger friendliness". Last weekend the bus reached one hour late at 0630 in Trichur but no one was complaining about the driving which was very safe and steady (I thiink to most of us the Kallada travels accident a couple of weeks back was still fresh in memory).
Old 12th July 2010, 13:13   #467
Senior - BHPian

Being a weekday, this express bus may get into Coimbatore, Erode and Salem to fill seats. I remember once I saw this bus near Dharmapuri before 2am on the way to Bangalore

I feel that at least some Kerala STC bus staff are very rude to passengers. I traveled on this Garuda only twice and both times felt that they are not interested to help the passengers. In one occasion, they refused to stop in front of International Stadium (Kochi) for 5 people at 3am saying that there is no `stop' between Alwaye and Kaloor !!!

Last edited by coolclouds : 12th July 2010 at 13:17.
Old 12th July 2010, 19:39   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
TVM-BLR Multi-Axle Volvos leave between 3-5pm from TVM. They start from near the Thampanoor Bus Station.
My understanding of pick up locations and timings are:
- KeSRTC starts from Thampanoor bus stand (@ 3:15 pm).
- KaSRTC keeps changing their pickup locations - it is either Thampanoor bus stand or Music College junction (@ 4 pm).
- KPN/Kallada/others start from Music College junction (timings are around 4 pm)

Not very sure how many of these are multi-axle volvos.

Last edited by sbraj : 12th July 2010 at 19:58.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:42   #469
BANNED

Guys any idea of timings of Volvo from Blore to Goa.There is a bus from Chennai to Goa (paulo travels) but i cannot travel at a stretch to Goa,18hours MAN !
Old 13th July 2010, 09:54   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
My understanding of pick up locations and timings are:
- KeSRTC starts from Thampanoor bus stand (@ 3:15 pm).
- KaSRTC keeps changing their pickup locations - it is either Thampanoor bus stand or Music College junction (@ 4 pm).
- KPN/Kallada/others start from Music College junction (timings are around 4 pm)
Not very sure how many of these are multi-axle volvos.

TVM-BLR Multi Axle - Ernakulam (Vyttila) pick up time:
Sophia Lines: 10.15pm
SRM: 10.30pm
Kallada: 9.30pm
KPN: 10pm
Old 13th July 2010, 21:15   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
joshguy : Guys any idea of timings of Volvo from Blore to Goa.
VRL & Seabird both have Volvo / Isuzu coaches that run from BLR to Goa via Karwar. Approx departure times are 8.30 or 10 pm. Travel time - approx 12-13 hours. KSRTC also should have something for you. I have not checked Sugama, though I know that they do run via Karwar.
Old 13th July 2010, 21:33   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
KSRTC also should have something for you. I have not checked Sugama, though I know that they do run via Karwar.
Sure! KaSRTC operates two Volvos from Bangalore to Panaji. The First one leaves at 1805, and the second at 1931. The running time they claim is 12:55 hours, and the adult fare is Rs. 750. The route taken is "DVG SIRSI ANKOLA KARWAR MARGOA" (Copied from the AWATAR website).

I believe Paulo also operates on this route - IIRC, they have a "sleeper volvo" on this route.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:57   #473
Senior - BHPian

Parveen has started the multi-axle Mercedes buses between Chennai and Trivandrum.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:18   #474
BHPian

Here is an update of my travel on the KeSRTC "Express Bus" from Ernakulam to Bangalore

Bus came to the terminal at EKM by 3 PM. Departure was on time at 3.20. Only about 15-20 seats were reserved. This bus has reservation only from Ernakulam ( a boarding point at Alwaye Byepass is offered).

Bus is in the 2 x 3 layout. Fairly new and seats were clean and had no bugs or other similar co-pax . Since there were only a few pax travelling to BLR, rest were filled with unreserved pax. Bus was not full when it left EKM, so it stopped at about 4-5 places enoute to Alwaye (basically stopped for anyone who put out their hand - including a few self important "sarkari babu types" shirking work early who boarded from Kaloor and got down at Angamali, Chalakkudi and Trichur. At Trichur there was no break but quite a few Coimbatore and Bangalore pax got in there. After Trichur next stop was at Palaghat, again no break , but by the time it left the bus station there were a few standing pax as well. On the outskirts of Coimbatore town the crew finally stopped for a break.around 0845 PM. Reached Coimbatore bus stand at 0945 PM where quite a few pax got down Only 2 or 3 got on and then there was just one other stop at Salem (again a 15 min break- but this time just after the Salem bus depot) before the bus finally reached Majestic at 5.15 AM.

In short I would take this bus only for the timing (early arrival at Bangalore). With both my home and office in North Bangalore, the private bus timings do not work for me (they are mostly catering to the Madiwala/Techie crowd).And since the KeSRTC AC buses from EKM are all after 7 PM (and via Mysore as well) and the Airavath crew mostly very lethargic, the only other realistic option is to take the 2000 Trichur BLR KeSRTC. Atleast with the 1520 bus you have the comfort level that however late or slow it is you still get into Majestic by 0630 at the very latest.

Leg room is very poor and with standing pax allowed, security of your belongings can be a issue. The luggage racks are also on the smaller side.
The driving was however safe and the crew was okay.

Overall best avoid. Wish KeSRTC put a express bus at 5 PM from EKM via Salem, that would be a great thing.

Last edited by TKMCE : 18th July 2010 at 11:21. Reason: Typo
Old 18th July 2010, 14:28   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
KeSRTC "Express Bus" from Ernakulam to Bangalore
How much was the charge from EKM to BLR in this bus?
Quote:
Departure was on time at 3.20.
Quote:
bus finally reached Majestic at 5.15 AM.
These are the same timings for the KeSRTC Volvo from TVM to BLR. 3:15PM departure from TVM, and 5:10 at Madivala.

Quote:
the KeSRTC AC buses from EKM are all after 7 PM (and via Mysore as well)
On an average, at what times do these reach BLR?

Quote:
Wish KeSRTC put a express bus at 5 PM from EKM via Salem, that would be a great thing.
I think the KeSTRC TVM-BLR Volvo (via Salem) picks up passengers from Vyttila. Time is around 8PM. Isn't reservation possible in this bus from EKM?
Old 18th July 2010, 17:06   #476
Senior - BHPian

The TNSTC AC buses to Madurai and Dindigul are not bad. These buses are far better than the NOn Ac SETC buses.
Old 18th July 2010, 18:01   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much was the charge from EKM to BLR in this bus?
Rs. 287 + Reservation Charges (Rs. 10)

Quote:
On an average, at what times do these reach BLR?
The EKM-BLR AC buses reach behind each other. The first one should be reaching around 11AM, and the second right behind it. Thanks the forest road closure at night, these buses manage to start off from Muthanga only around 6 AM. From then, they'd take 5-6 hours to reach Bangalore. Surprisingly, one of those buses return at 1300 from Bangalore.

Quote:
I think the KeSTRC TVM-BLR Volvo (via Salem) picks up passengers from Vyttila. Time is around 8PM. Isn't reservation possible in this bus from EKM?
Yes - they do. I am not sure if they let reservations ex-vyttila.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:55   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, reservation available from Vyttila but the fare will be same as from Trivandrum (Alleppy, Vyttila etc are boarding points while booking online) where as one can just get in and pay for EKM-BLR (Rs. 570, Trichur-BLR - Rs.480) or so if seats are available.

Last edited by coolclouds : 19th July 2010 at 10:01.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:21   #479
BHPian

Guys want to know your response on introducing a A/C bus between Blr - Mundakayam via kanjirapally,pala,todupuzha. Will it be good on this route ?
Old 25th July 2010, 10:27   #480
BHPian

Guys want to know your response on introducing a A/C bus between Blr - Mundakayam via kanjirapally,pala,todupuzha. Will it be good on this route ?

I dont see any reason why it should not work. There are a lot of offspring of rich planters in the high ranges who are studying in Bangalore in addition to the regular IT crowd. And this I think is the second generation - apparently their parents also studied in the same colleges (I guess Bangalore was more fashionable than Changanacherry or Kottayam!) If I remember correctly there were Bangalore Kanjirappally non A/C private buses for the last 15-20 years (no idea who was operating at that time) as my friend used to take one regulalry.

Isnt Kanjirapally one of the richest towns in Kerala??? And rubber prices I hear are now agin on the way up

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks