Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 09:05   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

I've noticed one thing. The 'Travels' industry is in a constant state of churn. New Operators come in, they make a name for themselves, then grow, spread their tentacles far and wide, then the decline starts and they disappear.

I've always believed, you can see the condition of the busses and make out how much money these guys make. If its good condition, then he makes good money - the Operator

There have also been many rumours about 'dirty-money' running this business, where it has become a front for money laundering.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:29   #587
BHPian

Over the last few months, I've traveled quite a few times by bus to Kerala. Tried Sofia Lines, SRM, Yathra, Shama and Sharma. Without doubt, SRM Multi Axles rock. They leave on time, and reach on time. The buses are well maintained and clean. Sofia Lines is not there any more and seems they've shut down operations. But when they were there, service was good. I've heard and seen some breakdowns on the way, but thankfully I was not a passenger!

If there is one warning I would give, it is to stay away from Sharma Volvo's that ply from Kottarakara and Pathanamthitta. They are really really old and not well maintained. The seats rattle like crazy, its as if someone forgot to tighten some of the nuts. Suspension is bad, and speeds are low. One of them do not have a TV as well. So you end up getting a slow, boring ride!!
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:25   #588
Senior - BHPian

I think Sofia Lines was a small operator with only two buses. They also used to start/reach on time like SRM compared to other services. I felt Kallada the worst in starting on time especially on weekends.

Kallada seems to be selling tickets to Coimbatore on Redbus. Expect their Kerala bound buses going through Coimbatore city if they get passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-redbuskallada.jpg  

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd December 2010 at 10:27.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:13   #589
BANNED

Anybody know of operators from Goa (Ponda / Margao) to Kundapura / Udupi? (Actually, I want to go to Kollur). The trip is planned in February.

Any info if day time buses, starting between 9 and 12 noon are available? Even SRTC (Goa/ KA) info is welcome. Google and other sites are not very informative on this.

There are plenty of buses on Mumbai - Mangalore/Udupi route; but cant find any from Goa. Not even from VRL.

Edit:- I used to see a sofiya multi axle volvo parked on alternate days at TVM - near the turn off from Aristo to Housing Board Junction. (Not sure what this junction is called - the place is now badly dug up). Used to look very clean; too bad if they closed down.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 31st December 2010 at 12:16.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:36   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Anybody know of operators from Goa (Ponda / Margao) to Kundapura / Udupi? (Actually, I want to go to Kollur). The trip is planned in February.

Any info if day time buses, starting between 9 and 12 noon are available? Even SRTC (Goa/ KA) info is welcome. Google and other sites are not very informative on this.

There are plenty of buses on Mumbai - Mangalore/Udupi route; but cant find any from Goa. Not even from VRL.

Edit:- I used to see a sofiya multi axle volvo parked on alternate days at TVM - near the turn off from Aristo to Housing Board Junction. (Not sure what this junction is called - the place is now badly dug up). Used to look very clean; too bad if they closed down.
There is KASRTC Airavata Volvo and Rajahamsa from Panaji to Mangalore, Volvo is day time and Rajahamsa is Night journey
Old 1st January 2011, 10:34   #591
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash View Post
There is KASRTC Airavata Volvo and Rajahamsa from Panaji to Mangalore, Volvo is day time and Rajahamsa is Night journey
Thanks; I found the KaSRTC website on this. Would have ignored the site otherwise. Since their own website does not provide a direct link to the timetable, I am posting the link here.

::K.S.R.T.C::

The timings seem to be very inconvenient for us though. Means will have to stick to the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I've noticed one thing. The 'Travels' industry is in a constant state of churn. New Operators come in, they make a name for themselves, then grow, spread their tentacles far and wide, then the decline starts and they disappear.
The transport business is very high in cashflow. Fixed expenses, which account for more than 70% turnover, are always deferred - happening every 2-3 years. Major vehicle overhaul, test work, etc. The operators fail to see this, and think that the cash surplus at the end of every 24 hours is their profit. So, this cash gets ploughed back into another vehicle / branches / other business / unproductive expenses.

Net result is that when the vehicles becomes due for major maintenance / replacement etc., the operator is hard up for cash.

Quote:
I've always believed, you can see the condition of the busses and make out how much money these guys make. If its good condition, then he makes good money - the Operator
New bus always means looks good. Modify that to say "well maintained 1+ year old / 50K kms more bus" and you are accurate.

Quote:
There have also been many rumours about 'dirty-money' running this business, where it has become a front for money laundering.
Not entirely untrue. But unless the business is sustainable in long run, people like VRL, Sharma, KPN, etc. who have been around for several decades would not be here.
Old 1st January 2011, 12:38   #592
Senior - BHPian

There is one operator between Chennai - Trichy MJT travels, whose majority of the fleet are from others but uses MJT as a brand name.
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:45   #593
Senior - BHPian

Chennai - Bangalore by Sangita Travels B7R

Travelled to Bangalore from Chennai in Sangita Travels' Volvo B7R. I said B7R because it was very old and bought from Venson. The bus showed its age. It would rattle like a TML bus at idle. Some seats had their pushback mechanism broken.

The first 3 rows had 2+1 arrangement with lots of leg room and each seat had both armrests. The remaining seats were in 2+2 config. While booking, redBus didn't show this distinction as all seats were charged the same rate.

There was a CRT TV and 4 speakers. One of them was right over my head. The FM Radio and later on the crappy movie ensured that I didn't miss any part of the trip.

Now the trip timings:
09:50 Chennai Central. Departure
10:15 CMBT. 40min inside their fuel station
11:20 Porur. 25min break in front of their office
12:45 Poonamalee. Highway at last
14:40 Lunch break at a veg hotel. A signboard said 173km to Bangy.
Intercity Bus travel reviews-01012011755001.jpg
15:00 I spot this AL U series parked nearby
Intercity Bus travel reviews-01012011754001.jpg
15:05 Resume journey.
17:55 Silk board
18:25 Madiwala. End of torture. I get down

The staff were not courteous. And they were picking up pax in between when someone gets down, like STU buses.

My suggestion, stay away from them. Not at all VFM

Wish u all a Happy New Year

Last edited by silversteed : 2nd January 2011 at 01:04.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:54   #594
Senior - BHPian

Saw Sona Travels Isuzu bus yesterday at Walayar Check post. Did they start any new service? The bus was new with KL 41 D regn.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:16   #595
BHPian

Latest trip on the 1815 Bangalore Tiruvalla Ke SRTC Super Deluxe on new years day. Trip was a preponement from the originally booked 10 PM Trichur AC bus for the weekend after. Lost a steep 25% in cancellation (Karnataka SRTC charges only 10%).

Bus was on time good driving, polite crew and was full. Dropped off at Alwaye byepass at 5.15 AM, the fastest I have reached in some time. Dinner was at the usual rip off after Krishnagiri.

Only bad experience in the whole trip was caused by the Grandma sitting accross the aisle who insisted on keeping the window open the whole night. Ended up suffering AC comforts without being prepared for it (after all I thought I had paid for a non AC bus). Only her age prevented me from picking up a fight, but I should have known what to expect when I witnesssed Grandma and let me not forget good old Grandpa also who was in tow- ticking off grand daughter for bothering to help put an elderly north indian couple for locating their bus. Grandma by the way was enjoying the ice cold experience as she was all wrapped up as if living in the deepest antarctica.

Well hopefully other Grandmas and Pas like these specimens will not be there next time around, because this particular service is simply the best option in KeSRTC for travel between Bangalore and Ernakulam. Volvo reaches a little too early at Alwaye (even at 5.15 AM I had to wait 30 min for a Paravoor bus which is a nationalised route). Pity the same bus cannot be booked in advance on the return from Ernakulam. Have booked the first Airavath from Ernakulam instead (now they have a pick up from Alwaye which can be specified while booking online)

A very good service offering from KeSRTC.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:49   #596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Bangalore by Sangita Travels B7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
15:00 I spot this AL U series parked nearby
Dude its AMW 2518
Next time,I wish you take the SRS - Tata Hispano (Che-Blore). They are really a great VFM
Old 2nd January 2011, 14:30   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Dude its AMW 2518
My bad. The side profile of the cabin and the rear wheel hubs fooled me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Next time,I wish you take the SRS - Tata Hispano (Che-Blore). They are really a great VFM
Sorry dude. I'll stay away from them unless they change the seats and/or the bus (Earlier they had a neatly maintained AL 12m AC bus, with the passenger ingress positioned just behind the front axle). I'd posted my horror in the prev page or the one before. My back has just recovered.

Last edited by silversteed : 2nd January 2011 at 14:39.
Old 2nd January 2011, 22:33   #598
BHPian

Quote:
The staff were not courteous. And they were picking up pax in between when someone gets down, like STU buses.
This is worse than SETC as they take the same time to reach Madivala from Koyambedu. Atleast they charge less.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:00   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelled to Bangalore from Chennai in Sangita Travels' Volvo B7R. I said B7R because it was very old and bought from Venson. The bus showed its age. It would rattle like a TML bus at idle. Some seats had their pushback mechanism broken.
Did you travel in this bus?
Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_4600.jpg

Really sad to know you bad experience. In you experience, which operator (other than KaSRTC) do you think is a sure bet? KPN and Parveen now operate day services (Parveen operates only during weekends) between Bangalore and Chennai.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:46   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Did you travel in this bus?

Really sad to know you bad experience. In you experience, which operator (other than KaSRTC) do you think is a sure bet? KPN and Parveen now operate day services (Parveen operates only during weekends) between Bangalore and Chennai.
ABTx is a decent service. From my personal experience they are much more punctual and courteous than KPN. KPN has a lot of daily services though. The seats in ABTx are a little narrow for my comfort but I would prefer that to the inconsistent timings and shabby treatment by KPN.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks